OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Guardian LR competition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guardian LR competition
    Posted: September/08/2014 at 10:00
I got a chance to go and shoot my first LR competition this last Saturday.

http://www.opticstalk.com/sept-6-guardian-long-range-competition_topic39380_post554208.html?KW=Bang+steel#554208

http://www.guardianlongrange.com/

I must say this was one of the best put on events I have been to, shooting or not. The host/master of ceremonies Gary Larson,  and range provider/director Dan Newberry  (http://www.bangsteel.com) Were two outstanding guys.  In a week or so I'm going to get with Dan and see about going back and do some shooting around X-mas when I'm at the in-laws.
I meet some really great people and had a really great time. I couldn't believe all the sponsor support this match had. They was giving stuff away right and left. I know 20G's of stuff was gave out. also i heard the the match raised $10,286 for the Bethany Christian Services to help orphans find forever homes.. GOD truly touched this event and is working thru Gary and Dan.

The day started off with loading the 7stw (Kickboxers rifle) a short 1.2 hour drive from My In_laws in NC to the bangsteel range in VA. It was a wet drive up. So the day started off fairly well. I made it and didn't get lost and the rain had stopped.. We had a small meet and greet and got hooked up with the shooting teams/group (team moses). All the guys in my pod were great and helped a bunch after you shot the stage.. It was an individual shot and not a team shoot. We got the safety briefing and the stage we would start at.

Now, I was only able to spend a total of 45 minutes with this  7STW and march scope set up before the match, this was 20 shots 5 to zero, 15 for load. NO practice was done for drop charts for this rifle..

stage 3 and stage 4 was from same location and our stating point. we had 7 shots per stage and 4 minutes to clear both. So it was times and off shot count

stage 3 Good shepherd
It was off the back of a 4 wheeler at a two small coyotes one at 531 and the other at 575. I was first to shoot from our group. I got my breathing and first match and first to shoot jitters under control. I stepped up and touched the 4 wheeler and time started. I looked really fast and no wind. Fired first shot and it went just under the first target. I raised up and 2nd shot made its mark, I dialed up for the second yote 575 and smoked him first shot. I moved to stage 4

Stage 4 water of life
This was 2 targets @ 845 yards with a target in the middle you CAN NOT HIT or you will loose 50 points and game over for the stage. There was a little wind swirling when I made it to my prone shooting position in front of the 4 wheeler. I fired my first shot and it was a miss, followed along with 6 more misses with no shots being seen thru the scope. When I got back to the group they ALL told me I was high and had a nice group just 1.5 feet above the steel. I guess watching thru a spotter is better than spotting shot thru a scope. remember the rain.... it kept shot spotting down to a minimum thru the scopes. I wasn't the only one who had trouble at the start.

well the rain returned and let me tell you this was not a end of summer shower. IT RAINED but the match kept rolling. It stopped after an hour or so. just before we moved to next stages.

We then moved to stage  5 and 6. Rain has let up and wind has picked up.... in every direction known to man then a few others. this stage5  was 5 shots and stage 6 was unlimited but both times as first with 4 minutes for BOTH 2 and 2 or how ever you worked it out

stage 5 Rock solid
This stage was sitting using a rock as a shooting plat form. The target 10" plate was 680yards and was half covered up. I found a nice and steady sitting position and rock solid for the rifle. I let the first round fly and Hit. I moved to a prone position for stage 6

Stage 6 unlimited shot and timed carried over from stage 5
Prone was my shooting choice for this stage, I could have stayed on the rock but I didn't. I still had 3 minutes to hit 4 targets and unlimited shot to do so in the time I had left.
targets were 865, 930, 930 and 1000
second shot I hit the 865 , 5th shot I hit the first 930 I never did hit the second 930 as the wind was swirling and I kept bouncing from side to side of the target. It was a small target. I want to say a 8 inch plate. but not sure.

We then moved to stage 1 and 2 (long story on why this station changed Gary can fill in if he cares to)
stage 1 trinity
 this was shot off the 3rd rail of a cattle gate it  was 466 yards and one target that has to be hit 3 times in 5 shots. I hit it twice on shot 4 and 5. the wind was killing me.

stage 2 family Provider
this stage was standing off a round bail of hay, The target was a 6x6 steel plate in the vitals of a canvas deer standing 794 yards away.  I made my was over to the bail and got a good strong rifle rest and fired one shot and couldn't spot it. the canvas kept the shot spotting to zilch. I fired the second shot with hold left and smoked it.
This was still on the bail of hay and was a bonus target (pig) at 876. I fired two shots and nothing. after I cleared rifle was told I was skinning its butt to the left. Oh so close but I couldn't spot the shots as it was really close to the trees.

We had one stage to go stage 7
This stage was 1000yard 3 shooter, who hits it first gets the points. and the second gets less points and 3rd gets less then second if its hit.

I get into position and fire, it was a miss, then I hear tink tink.. The two other have nailed it. So I had 20 seconds and 1 shot.. Well I over shot it.

the match was really fun, This was my first and I didn't know what to expect. Every one was really friendly and willing to help with what they could and how they could. it was amazing to see so many people competing but offering up info if someone needed it. It was like everyone knew each other forever..

Also, Hawk hill customs, donated a 338LP. This was a truly nice rifle. It was very PURDY... check out there work

safeside tactical guys had a really nice set up and was great to talk to. One shooter had a small problem with his rifle and one of the guys from safe side loaned me a tool to help with the problem. There top on the game. same here, give them a look when you get a chance.

I also got to chat a while with Jim and Melissa Gilliland. Both are really great people.

Here is a random pic that Garry took.
Prone first stage

Name State Caliber Total Place
Matthew Gervais VA 6.5 Creedmoor 710 1
Matthew Fisher VA 6.5 Creedmoor 690 2
Matt Radolec MD 6.5 Creedmoor 680 3*
Jim Gilliand GA 6XC 680 3
Rhett Walters VA .243 Win. 680 3
Shawn BurkholderVA 6.5x 47 Lapua 660 6
Jeff Raymond OH 6.5-06 A-Square 640 7
Cory Harrison VA 6.5 Creedmoor 630 8
Josh Bowers VA .308 Win. 630 8
Jon Lester VA .243 Win. 610 10*
Kevin Grubb NC 6.5x 47 Lapua 610 10
Mike Walpole OH 6.5 Creedmoor 610 10
Kyle Lee NC 7WSM 595 13
Sydnei Tatum VA 6.5 Creedmoor 590 14
Ken Stevens NC 6.5 Creedmoor 540 15
Jonathan RobertsDE .308 Win. 530 16
Steven Hartman VA .260 Rem. 515 17
Melvin Martin VA .260 Rem. 510 18
Garrett Wymer VA .308 Win. 490 19
Lynn Houck KY .243 Win. 455 20
Jacob Petty NC .260 Rem. 450 21
John DeBonis VA .308 Win. 440 22*
Jason Greene KY 6.5 Creedmoor 440 22
Jonathan Elrod NC 6.5x 47 Lapua 430 24*
Brian Wimmer VA .284 Shehane 430 24
Scott Whitehead NC 6.5 Creedmoor 420 26
Bryan Lewis VA 6.5 Creedmoor 410 27*
Brandon Ford GA 7mm STW 410 27
Tim Meadows VA .308 Win. 400 29
Thomas Ward PA 6.5 Creedmoor 380 30
Matthew Fraley OH .284 Win. 370 31
Melissa GilliandGA 6.5 Creedmoor 350 32
Travis France TN 300 WSM 335 33
Mark DaughtridgeNC 300 Win. Mag. 325 34
Bill Pruitt MD .308 Win. 320 35
Brandon Mullins VA .260 Rem. 310 36
Jeff Welch VA 6.5x284 Norma M 300 37
Matthew Dover SC .308 Win. 290 38
Bryan Hupman VA 6.5x 47 Lapua 280 39
Marcus Quales NC .308 Win. 260 40
Paul Wilkerson DE .308 Win. 235 41
Jesse W. TroxlerNC 7mm Mag. 180 42

*Indicates a winner by tiebreaker.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - September/08/2014 at 11:15
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 10:25
Sounds like a tuff and fun match.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 10:53
What bullet were you using, Brandon? I can't imagine a 7STW not being able to dominate in the wind! But it does sound like a really fun match.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 10:55
154Gr SST @ 2932.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 12:26
You had a good showing for your first match and an unfamiliar rifle.

I also see that 6.5 Creedmoor may need a closer look by me.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 12:40
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

You had a good showing for your first match and an unfamiliar rifle.

Lynn, Mrs. Peddler likes her 6.5 Creedmoor albeit a hunting rifle not long range target rifle. For having a skinny little barrel it's a real shooter and it puts a real hurt on Deer.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 12:52
Nice write up Brandon.  Let me know if you and Dan go back for another and don't mind a 3rd wheel.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 13:56
Looks like a lot of fun.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 17:43
WHY was it unfamiliar, Brando??? ??? ???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 18:41
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

No doubt! 

Good stuff, Daddy. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 21:52

How is this possible???????????? My daughter and I were there and didn't know one of my brothers was there!!! What gives??? I guess being on different teams didn't allow us to get to talk (Team David). Seeing your pic now I know we saw you but just didn't know. I hate when stuff like that happens. She didn't get to shoot cause the 7WSM went south three days before the shoot and I couldn't figure it out in time to put her on line. I was havin some issues with my 300WM as well but decided to do the best I could. The windage would shift at random but as much as I could read it I could make it work. But like you when that down pour hit I suffered for it. I was on stage 1 at the cow gate and it didn't go well. After my first two stages I went up the hill to the "Zero challenge" to get in on a chance to win that system and to see what my rifle was doing. Found out my windage at the time was dead on but my elevation set was low. After that my day began to improve. Still the damage was done as far as overall standings. I was able to pull out of the hole some with a first shot hit in round 7. Glad to see you enjoyed yourself, this was my second Guardian shoot and we plan to make the one this spring. You nailed it too that Gary and Dan are top notch all the way. Wish I could plug a wire in Dan's head and download just a portion of what he knows about shootin. If you can tell him cal., bullet wt. and velocity he can tell you the dope you need for just about any distance (mil or moa). I'm gonna schedule a day clinic and he's gonna help me shoot that mile target up the hill. Tried to talk the guys a SafeSide into donatin that TrackingPoint 308 for a tax credit but they wouldn't go along. Still that AR they did donate sure was Purdy!! I or I should say my daughter scored a good draw in the raffle. We came home with one of the Vortex ViperPST scopes. Its goin on her Bushmaster Varminter soon as I can locate some rings for it. I may load some 69gr for that and see how it does on distance. But just for round here, it won't likely be seein any Guardian time. I hope Graham and Mark and some of you other guys can make some of these matches. They really are a good time. And knowing that every dime goes to the kids makes it worth while even if you don't get a hit on target or the raffle. If my wife and I had known about them 20yrs ago we would have another daughter. We tried to adopt from back then but just could come up with the whole 18K it was gonna cost. These folk do a really great thing helpin these kids. Well hate we didn't get a chance to talk. We'll have to watch for the next opportunity.

Salute from #34!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 06:32
SGT, was your daughter was sitting in a pink chair during the 1000yard  3 person stage?

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 06:46
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

2 sons who are active in sports, 3 jobs 2 full and one part time, school,boy scouts, 2 charities, 3 hours of sleep, 1 maybe 2 meals a day. I did spend 45 minutes with it. but now... The first match is out of the way. Its all down hill. I found one on 9/20 in Birmingham.

garyalarson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 08:45
First all, thanks guys for all the kind words. I'm so blessed to be involved in this creative ministry. Getting to shoot and help orphans...and it's all tax-deductable. Win-win-win. :)
I had a change to chat with Sgt. D quite a bit, being a returning Guardian shooter. His beautiful daughter is getting married soon, and getting her shoulder bruised up shooting her dad's 300WM before wedding pics would have certainly raised some eyebrows. :) Sgt. D., you are an amazing guy and Annabrooke is phenominal young lady.

Bigdaddy0381, wish I could have chatted with you more...as you know, I had some distractions to deal with. But I was impressed at the size of the dip you had in all day. Between your beard and that monster dip...you looked like a serious operator!

Thanks for the great write-up. I hope you guys can make the next match in April (exact date TBD), but Guardian Alumni get 1st dibs on registration. :)

-Gary
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 09:55
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

2 sons who are active in sports, 3 jobs 2 full and one part time, school,boy scouts, 2 charities, 3 hours of sleep, 1 maybe 2 meals a day. I did spend 45 minutes with it. but now... The first match is out of the way. Its all down hill. I found one on 9/20 in Birmingham.
Sleep and food are extravagances...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 09:56

SGT, was your daughter was sitting in a pink chair during the 1000yard  3 person stage?

Yes she was, and now that you mention it I remember talkin with you durin the last of the competition. Thanks for holdin the rifle while she put her ears on. You probably noticed that I am not always organized. My fault though. I'm accustom to adaptin to stuff or makin do with what I have. All the stages that had a shot from prone was hard on me. My neck and back really fuss when doin that.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Yes she was, and now that you mention it I remember talkin with you durin the last of the competition. Thanks for holdin the rifle while she put her ears on. You probably noticed that I am not always organized. My fault though. I'm accustom to adaptin to stuff or makin do with what I have. All the stages that had a shot from prone was hard on me. My neck and back really fuss when doin that.

yes, that was me, glad I could help.. small world..  You have a very nice young lady there, with a great personality. You done good raising her my friend. next shoot if we are both able to go maybe we can hang out some.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 10:29

Sleep and food are extravagances...

I agree, but not an optimal time to shoot around my place at 2am'ish so sleep and eat.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 13:34
Wus...

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 08:25
Listen........... Can you hear whinning? Sounds like cheap snow tires, but I'm not sureBandito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic