OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
OVER HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchgnmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting History
    Posted: September/06/2014 at 12:40
This is my Great Grandfather Julius Effertz. He like many others in my family's history loved to hunt. 
I went to  a family reunion in Minnesota about 6 years ago and they had this picture sitting out. I told my aunt that I needed to have this picture. She laughed and said "why, because you're a hunter too?". My reply was "no, because I have his Remington Model 11 shotgun which is in the picture".  She gave it to me and I had copies made for whoever wanted them. Since the shotgun's manufacture date is 1929 I imagine the photo wasn't taken too long after that. He sure has a mess of ducks and looks to be a fine Chesapeake or Curly Coat Retriever. Oh, and a really nice shotgun.

I also have a Ithaca Crass 12 Gauge SxS and a Remington Model 241 .22 Short that belonged to him as well. I learned to shoot skeet at 11 years old with the Model 11 and my daughter picked the Model 241 to go squirrel hunting last year. Here she is with that rifle:

My daughter was amazed that we could still be shooting a gun that belonged to her Great, Great Grandfather Julius J. Effertz. A man I never met but he certainly had great taste in guns and what to do with them.

So show us some of your Hunting History whether it be photos of trips from the past or photos of gear with history.

Edited by mchgnmike - September/06/2014 at 12:46
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2014 at 12:52
Excellent Love the old "hunting" pic. Glad to see your daughter involved too... mine never showed any interest in hunting, but she does shoot.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2014 at 13:00
Great pics.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2014 at 13:27
Forgot to say it looks like an Irish Water Spaniel to me.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
mchgnmike View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
OVER HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchgnmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 14:19
bugsNbows, I have had them hunting with me since they were 2 1/2 years old. Here is Daughter #1 first dove hunt.

And here they are when daughter #2 was old enough.

Make hunting fun for them and don't make them stay if they are having a miserable time. I you follow this you will never go hunting alone even if you want to. 
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2014 at 21:29
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Excellent Love the old "hunting" pic. Glad to see your daughter involved too... mine never showed any interest in hunting, but she does shoot.

I will echo this, I too enjoyed the nostalgic hunting photo.
mchgnmike View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
OVER HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchgnmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 14:33
Does anyone else have any old photos from hunting trips in the past?
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 16:17
Next time I'm home I'll scan some in from my dad back when he was my age or a little younger.  They used to go to "squirrel camp" in the river bottom the first week in October (before archery became so popular and the season opening overlapped with opening day of squirrel season).  There's a pic of all of his buddies together where all are so grubby they make duck dynasty look clean shaven.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
mchgnmike View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
OVER HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchgnmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2014 at 16:58
DCAMM94, I cannot wait to see them. I love checking out old hunting photos to see what gear they are using (guns, clothes, camping gear, etc..).  I think I have a few other photos that I can post. I think the older the better though.

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2014 at 19:34
I'm 5 hrs away, but my dad sent me a random text this afternoon that included a pic of my grandfather's Remington Model 24.  I think it's in pretty good shape.  What do you guys think?

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
mchgnmike View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
OVER HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchgnmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 06:03
DCAMM94, that rifle is in much better shape than mine because yours still has bluing on it. I am sure it shoots great like mine does. I hope you can post some of those older photos soon.

hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2014 at 21:06
"  Chesapeake or Curly Coat Retriever. Oh, and a really nice shotgun."

Maybe  a curly coat retreiver. Very popular duck dog decades ago. Rarely seen these days.  Small game hunting is in decline, fewer places tohunt, less game, fewer hunters , blah blah blah. 
Peeps used to turn out in big numbers for field trials. Hell , opening day of deer season in these parts has gone from lines of cars in the pre-dawn jamming every middlesex village and town in the '70's, to a shot here and ther.
Thank you,,,for the glimpse at a better time. Jeez,,, I miss my dog.....

http://www.ccrca.org/

Edited by hatton mann - September/10/2014 at 21:11
mchgnmike View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
OVER HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchgnmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2014 at 08:31
Hatton, it is amazing how the hunting culture has diminished in the last century. I have seen photos of where public schools would teach firearms safety and hunting was not only a family event but a town event.
I have asked what type of dog he might have had but no one had a clue. I just guessed Curly Coat but it could be anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic