OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zoom very stiff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 19:42

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I always get a kick out of these schitty Leupold threads.   Especially when I've never had issues with any of them (about 20 of them since 1980), and none of my hunters who showed up with Leupold scopes, about 80 of them who hunt all over the world, have ever had any issues either......yet Leupy's always suck.  I guess we've been lucky. 

Are you telling me that out of the 100 Leupolds you're "seen" that none had a stiff to turn power ring ? The Campfire is quite well represented with that issue. I seem to recall that you were not a fan boy either at one point, but now that you bought a VX6, that's all forgotten. I guess you're going to tell us that you haven't seen any threads at the Campfire regarding their tracking issues either, right ?

How about some Leupold quality control issues.........

Or a custom shop turret upgrade.....

Edited by Roy Finn - September/01/2014 at 19:59
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 20:07
Not one VX3, VX2, VXIII, VXii or Vari X that I have personally laid hands on, has had a stiff power ring.  I can only take my hunter's word for it though, as I ask every one of them if they've ever had any issues with their Leupy scopes, and they've all replied "none".  That's all I know.  I do have a 2-12 VX6 that has a little stiffer than normal power ring.  Not a big deal but I would prefer it to be not as stiff. 

I think Leupy could do a little more innovating for sure, and the fact that their VX3 nor VX6 neither one have a rainguard of any kind is pathetic.  I have also read all those threads about Leupold's tracking issues as well.  I'm sure some have validity, and I'm equally sure some of these scope problems are due to improper mounting.  I'm also aware enough know, the way I see it anyway, that the average hunter is not a knob twister, more of a set it an forget it guy, therefore I don't think the average hunter will likely wear out a leupold, Elite 4200. Conquest, etc. class hunting scope.   They all fail at times, period. 

I like to fiddle fart around with CDS dials, but I've only about 3-400 rounds through VX3/CDS, and 250 or so rounds through a VX6/CDS and they've been perfectly spot on so far. 

I'm still not what I would call a 'fan boy" by any stretch.  I'm loyal to no brands whatsoever, and am involved with G&O programs with 4 different makers.  I like what I like for the reasons I like.   I do in fact love the mounting flexibility, reticle choices, and other options that Leupy offers though.  

I get equally amused at the many posts I read on the superiority of the so called alpha binoculars over the likes of a Conquest HD, Meopta HD, Gold Ring HD, etc, but that's another story. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 20:37

I always get a kick out of these schitty Leupold threads.   Especially when I've never had issues with any of them (about 20 of them since 1980), and none of my hunters who showed up with Leupold scopes, about 80 of them who hunt all over the world, have ever had any issues either......yet Leupy's always suck.  I guess we've been lucky. 

From a Leupold tracking issues thread at the Campfire you wrote.....

A Swaro A and a Leupold M8.  Erector problems on both.  

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 20:49
Yeah RD, guess I forgot about that one......that6x  M8 was on a Ruger 10/22 I traded for.  It was only about 25 years ago so you'll have to forgive me.  
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 21:04
Listen, I'm not trying to call you out, as I happen to find your experience with western hunting interesting and informative JG. All I'm trying to say is that if you're telling me that you can't recall the dozens and dozens of threads at the CF regarding Leupold tracking and quality control issues, well I find that odd considering that I find you to be a fairly intelligent guy. As far as me being a Leupold naysayer or specter of doom, well I'll remind you that I bought 2 brand new Leupold's a year ago, one fixed 4x and a VX-2 4-12, from SWFA and both had major problem right out of the gate. The 4x reticle broke within 50 rds of being on a Ruger 10/22 and the VX2 had to be sent back to Leupold twice because it turned a very accurate custom 270 into a rifle that wouldn't group for crap. The adjustments were all over the place as well.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 21:10

Yeah RD, guess I forgot about that one......that6x  M8 was on a Ruger 10/22 I traded for.  It was only about 25 years ago so you'll have to forgive me.  

That quote was from a thread dated October of 2012 and the thread was titled ( or paraphrased )........" How many have had scope problems/issues in the past 10 years'........ Again, just trying to refresh your memory.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 21:26
No problem RD at all.  I totally understand some of the frustration people have with faulty Leupold scopes, especially experienced guys like yourself.  If/when I start experiencing problems like some of you guys have had I'll be the first to admit it. I also know that some things can be overblown.   I think you would admit if Leupold, or anyone else for that matter, repeatedly put out a POS product, they wouldn't sell millions of them, and wouldn't last long in the marketplace.  I will also admit in this day and age of mass production, Leupold could do a better job of quality control. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 21:39
Yes, I know what you mean by overblown, especially when that gentlemen who is a military sniper (I think) starts talking about all of his Leupold "failures" when the guy shoots more in an average day then 90% of hunters would shoot in their life time. I tried to respectfully suggest that to him, but he's so full of himself that it got lost in his ego.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 21:55
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

That quote was from a thread dated October of 2012 and the thread was titled ( or paraphrased )........" How many have had scope problems/issues in the past 10 years'........ Again, just trying to refresh your memory.

I realize that.  First of all when the subject of a tight power ring came up, a fixed 6x was the farthest thing from my memory.  Secondly, I had that scope 10/22 combo 25 years ago or so, not that the post was 25 years ago.  Does that clear it up for you? 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2014 at 21:58

Yes, I know what you mean by overblown, especially when that gentlemen who is a military sniper (I think) starts talking about all of his Leupold "failures" when the guy shoots more in an average day then 90% of hunters would shoot in their life time. I tried to respectfully suggest that to him, but he's so full of himself that it got lost in his ego.

Full of himself is putting it nicely.  I've tried to make that point to him as well, to no avail.  I would also admit that if I were a full fledged turret twister, Leupold would be last on my list. 
RWBlue View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2014 at 00:05

Not to make fun of your problem, but I remember a gun writer penning that a stiff power ring was the sign of a good scope, as he was told by Leupold. They must train their employees to put a positive spin on design flaws. I guess eye relief that varies by an inch must be positive trait that only professionals can appreciate as well.

Some people need to be slapped publicly.
To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.
RWBlue View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2014 at 00:14
Side note, I have several Leupold.  This is the only one I have having issues with.  Then again, I tend to set it and forget it until I change loads or move it to another gun or....
To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic