OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 BO SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 BO SCOPE
    Posted: August/28/2014 at 19:23
You know I had all but made my mind up on the 1-4x24 0 stop Nightforce offering when I remembered seeing the new Burris 1.5-8x28 XTR II 34mm Rifle Scope rig. One motivation to consider the Burris is if I choose it I have a really good price on one. But I have never put my hands on either, one anyone have input. I intend to mount the optic on a suppressed 300 BO for close quarter 100yrd. - Hog hunting. Night and day.

Edited by REP - August/28/2014 at 19:36
Enough is to much.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2014 at 19:40
I have been waiting for one of the Burris 1.5-8x Extreme II scopes also and have checked with SWFA and last word was it is expected in stock about now.  Also just received notification from another vendor that they just got a few.  I think this should be a great choice for an AR 15 SPR.  I just emailed SWFA customer service to see if they also have a first shipment.  I haven't seen one yet but have had long term satisfaction with Burris optics in general so will buy and try.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2014 at 09:45
My first concern would be comparing a very well proven optic to a brand new, completely unproven optic.  The Burris might be awesome, and it might suck.  I''ve played that game of chance before, I generally avoid it now.

Next, I personally have had limited success with pre-calibrated drop reticles, especially with a 300BLK.  My 300BLK wears a scope with LOTS of drop on the reticle.  It isn't calibrated to the bullet, it is a mil reticle.

Finally, time on range, and with the ammo to be used, is exceedingly important.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2014 at 12:05
Rancid, can you tell me what scope you have on your blackout?  I have been looking for a 1-4 or 1-6 for my 300 SBR.  I also wanted a MIL reticle instead of BDC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2014 at 19:13
Now I have a swaro Av 3.5-10, but it isn't the best fit. My favorite is the 2.5-10 IOR with MP8 reticle, lots of drop on the reticle for the "fall out of the sky" subsonic 220s and 240s.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 07:57
Thanks, Those are very nice but not in the budget.  My limit is $500 right now. 

Sorry for hijacking Ralph.  I have looked through the Burris MTAC 1-4x24 and the glass was very good in my opinion.  The XTR II you mention is supposed to be even better. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 08:36
What is your intended target and application?  And range?
Subsonic use or supersonic?
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 10:17
I just built it and tested a few days ago with a red dot at 100 yards.  It was OK but my groups were all within the 4MOA dot and I couldn't get better - dot too large.  I want short to medium range (home defense and fun at the range out to~300 yards.  I don't plan to hunt with it because of the 8" barrel (ethical kills and I have a deer rifle).  This is my first short barreled AR so plans can change in the future. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 10:27
I have a seekins 8" BO upper and have ran more scopes than I can remember on it.  A simple 1-4 is always what I come back to but a compact ACOG was right at home there as well.  With the 8" barrel all I shot is subsonic with a can on it.  Shot a few supersonics through it but really didn't benefit from it.   I have made kills out to 200yds now on a coyote with my upper, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5x4x20, and Gemtech subsonic ammo.   I shot into some phone books and water jugs with this ammo as well, I think it will ethically kill a deer as well with proper shot placement and  distance restrictions.

This is the ammo I use, its excellent, I was loading 208AMAX and trail boss and getting good results too.  220 and 240gr stuff didn't group as I wanted.

http://swfa.com/Gemtech-Subsonic-300-Blk-Ammunition-187Gr-20rd-Box-P74073.aspx
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 11:34
Thanks Graham.  I only have 80 rounds down the barrel so far (mix of bullet weight from 110 to 220).  I put a Vortex Strikefire on it because I had it handy.  It is technically a pistol and I have a Sig arm brace on it.  The length of pull is short.  My nose is quite close to the charging handle.  I like being able to have both eyes open and looking through 1x scope with the right eye and everything else with the left eye.  Is this possible with the 1.5x Burris or Leupold?  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 11:54
It is with SWFA's 1-4 or 1-6.   Normally kinda hard to do unless its true 1X  I have used both eyes open on the leupold but it wasn't optimal.

With it being a pistol..... not sure how far you typically hold it away from your eye for it to be comfortable but.... would a scout scope work possibly? Get someone to measure what the distance is that would make you have comfortable hold position from your eye to the start of your pic rail, then remember you can move with a designated AR mount back a little if needed.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x33-VX-R-30mm-Scout-Scope-P69513.aspx

Could always add a red dot for close both eye open work on top the ring like the burris fastfire.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 12:28
If the quality of SWFA 1-4 is anything like their 3-15(I have), that would be my choice.  It simply is too expensive right now.  I have a $500 limit right now.  I may keep the strikefire on it and save up for the SWFA 1-4x20.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 12:30
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I will probably do some kind of write up later in another area of this forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic