OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nosler Patriot 48

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nosler Patriot 48
    Posted: August/21/2014 at 08:14
I'm a big fan of the 7mm08, and already have a Tikka T3 in the caliber that is extremely accurate.  I've never seen a Nosler Patriot in person, so.......

Why do I still want the Patriot?
Why should I not want the Patriot?
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 09:47
Looks like a nice rifle.  I love the 7mm-08, and have two of them.  Only you can answer your first question, and I have nothing to dissuade you in response to your second question.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 12:12
It's like a mountain... ya climb it cause' it's there! Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 14:07
Want has always been a perfectly logical reason for me to buy a new rifle, with no further justification required.

But I have a sickness, so maybe you should disregard my thoughts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 14:11
I am not sure what to think about the cuts on the under side of the bolt. But, everything else seems top notch. Push feed with Sako type extractor, nice.
Doug
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 16:23
Just what I needed........a bunch of enablers. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2014 at 19:40
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Just what I needed........a bunch of enablers. 

I prefer to be referred as a "facilitator" not an enabler. Enablers, to me(by my definition)  is like taking a cooler full of booze to an AA meeting.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 07:46
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I prefer to be referred as a "facilitator" not an enabler.

Laugh Above

Excellent
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 08:27
In all seriousness, this would be the pros / cons of that rifle in 7-08 for me:

Pros:
- Pac Nor barrel
- 9 twist a good choice for 7-08
- The action (though looking suspiciously close to a Howa) is a good design and appears to be well made.
- Pretty good trigger, if memory serves
- Pillar bedded
- Fairly light weight
- Stainless with Cerakote finish
- Price seems pretty reasonable for what you get

Cons:
- 24" barrel is a poor choice for 7-08 IMO. I'd prefer 20 - 22" since I never want any more bbl length than is necessary for achieving velocity typical for the chambering to keep rifle OAL as short as possible.
- Not a big fan of B&C stocks. Although I like the fact it's pillar & glass bedded (provided it's done right), I don't care for the ergonomics of that stock. The wrist is too thick for my tastes, and I'd prefer the comb to be straight.

I'd want to know what the mag box length is, and would prefer it to be around 3" to give me enough COAL latitude to seat bullets to the lands.

I'd say buy it if you like the stock ergos and don't mind the 24" barrel. It should shoot well. I've never heard any complaints about how these rifles shoot.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe our own Charles Coker (OT user "ccoker") has one. You might shoot him a PM.

Good luck, and if you do decide to buy one, let us know what you think about it.
Ted

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 09:09
Good points Rifle.  I don't know much about them, but do have a couple of replies to some points you made:

B&C stock.  While not my favorite stock I've used, I do have and use one on a Tikka T3.  Grip is a little thicker than I'd like, but not a deal killer for me. 

Mag box.  Short action mag box is 2.875.  Should get me close to lands....? 

Not sure what I think about a 24" bbl. 

Can be had NIB for $1299.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 12:26
If you consider the PN barrel they use, along with all metal Cerakoted, $1299 is a good deal IMO.

2.875" mag box should allow you to load COAL to lands, assuming the chamber doesn't have a lot of freebore. I'd call and ask them about throat geometry to verify.

If you decide you don't like the 24" barrel, it's not that big a deal to cut off and re-crown.
Ted

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 12:57
We are trying to get signed up with them now so we can get in line for some of their rifles chambered in 26 Nosler.  Yippee
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 15:57
That would be cool, Chris.  I just googled it - it looks basically like a 7mm RUM in 6.5mm, correct?
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 16:07
Yeah, I want one so bad.  I am a 6.5 freak and can't wait to take it for test flight.

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 17:28
Nice.  That might do for the new switch-barrel xp project I've been putting together (on paper so far).  I was originally thinking a 7mmRUM and a 338RUM, but this might make me reconsider.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 21:58
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Yeah, I want one so bad.  I am a 6.5 freak and can't wait to take it for test flight.

me too!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic