OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kransberg Bow Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kransberg Bow Hunt
    Posted: August/14/2014 at 05:04
I was lucky enough to spend last week Bow hunting, near Thabazimbi at the the farm Kransberg. So I thought that I would include a few photos for you guys to drool over.
I seen this guy on the first day he has a broken leg. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to shoot him,and Kudu's are not cheap non trophy was $650 and trophy $900. And I stupidly let him carry on suffering. I later found out that it had been six weeks since he was first spotted with a broken leg, did I feel like an idiot for letting him go. I was strongly told too put him out off his misery if I should see him again.

Wildebeest and Hartebeest together.

This herd of Wildebeest was at the Hide every single day.

Really nice Bushbuck.

This is a massive piece of meat, a really big Eland cow.

Giraffe Bull

Every hunters dream.

Thats a block of Salt he is licking, every single animal that came in licked it. There was even some pushing and fighting going on at the salt block.

This farm has an abundance of Kudu, in fact I seen more Kudu than Impala.

Duiker Ewe.

I was actually after Impala as the budget was a bit low, after the Zebra I shot in May. But after not seeing any at the hide by Friday morning, I decided to switch to the Poor Mans Buffalo.

Not as big as the one I shot last year, but still decent enough. Its a bit difficult when they are all milling around the water and salt.

Seeing as it was still early I decided to stay at the blind, in hope that the wounded Kudu might show up. After all it had been three days since I had seen him at the water. Just after 13H00 I heard a crashing noise coming through the bush, my first thought was it has to be him. I could see Kudu horns hopping above the trees, it had to be him they dont call Kudu the Grey Ghost for nothing. Well as soon as he was open the Swarovski Rangefinder went straight down to his foot, yes your mine kept going through my head. It took him ages to walk the 20m to the blind, and when he did get there he was 3 Yards from me. I was to scared to draw the bow, my hands where shaking my heart was pounding. I didnt want to spook him, as this would be the biggest Kudu that I ever shot. I let him get to water which was 17 yards away, he stood in excactly the same position as the he did the first day. I put the pin on the vitals, and sent the Razorcap downrange. Even with 3 legs you cant believe how fast he took off, 45 yards is all he managed and went down.

Well now I can also say I have also shot a Kudu for free, so I politely asked if I may take the horns. He measured an extremely respectable 55 Inches, and beats my prevoius best by 15 Inches.

Edited by Glock - August/14/2014 at 05:13
Regards Chris
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 05:25
Magnificent Glock, thanks for sharing.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 06:26
w0w, that is truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 06:57
Most excellent indeed. Congrats!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 10:29
Beautiful animal, great story!

I hate seeing animals injured, and you did the right thing putting him down.

When next I make the trip, I might need to call you, now I want to bow hunt!

I need a giraffe.
And a bushbuck.
And a waterbuck.

Congratulations.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 10:39
What was your bow spec's/set up?

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 10:39
Great pics, great accomplishments sir.  congrats! 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 10:41
Awesome.  Thanks for always sharing your trips and pics with us.  You get to hunt and see some amazing animals. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 10:48
Great post Chris, many thanks.
Doug
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 12:10
Thanks guys I had a great hunt, can't wait to go back and look for a monster Kudu. BD I was using a Mathews DXT I had it set a 60 lbs, due to a sore wrist and not much practice I didn't want to try set it any higher. My draw length is 28 and I cut my arrows at 29, the shaft was a Piledriver Hunter with 4 inch fletches. I was using NAP Razorcaps as the cut a big hole, I had a pass through on both shots, the blood trail on the Wildebeest was massive. He couldn't have had any blood left in him by the time he went down.
Regards Chris
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 12:53
Nice... I didn't know if they required and crazy amount of draw weight for thos thicker skinned animals or not.

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 14:45
I used to shoot on 70 pounds but soon realized you don't need it, so I went down to 65 pounds. But with this sore wrist I had to go to 60 pounds to manage to draw the bow. I still got pass throughs on both animals. Kudu was 17 yards and the Wildebeest was 22 yards, I like to use heavy arrows. I guess that and sharp broad heads mean you don't need high pounds.
Regards Chris
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2014 at 14:47
That is true,
I shoot a hoyt maxxis 32 ( older bow) 26 inch DL @ 72 pounds, I use a heavy arrow and 125gr broad head. It will drive deep into stuff.

You and 8's hunts are second to none. One day I will get to hunt there... its amazing animals.

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2014 at 10:56
Thanks BD you will have an amazing trip here when you decide to come over.
Regards Chris
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 06:35
Glock thanks for the posts. Your get up and go attitude always inspires me.

Sorry about late reply, but been very busy.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2014 at 10:55
Thanks Wouter I'm just you and I can share our African hunting experiences with they rest of the guys.
Regards Chris
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:24
All great shot Chris.

Talk about a nice Giraffe!

Are Wildebeest pretty good to eat?
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 02:43
Sorry I didn't answer you Skylar I don't know how I missed your post, yes Wildebesst are really good eating. Especially the Blue Wildebeest. I made what we call wors last year basically a sausage, my friends and family loved it. I have one friend who just wants me to shoot Blue Wildebeest now. Or as his little son calls it Blue bubblebeest.
Regards Chris
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 05:29
Outstanding, as usual! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2014 at 06:21
Chris, I had not seen this until now.  Once again, a great story and beautiful photos... I enjoy seeing and hearing about your adventures. 
Good hunting, good shooting...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic