OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help on scope selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 One Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on scope selection
    Posted: August/06/2014 at 23:16
I just purchased a new Savage 10FP with a HD choate folder with 20" heavy barrel. I want be able to make some good long range shots(up to 1000 yds) with it. After reading up here on the forums for a while( new member now), for what I have to spend and value,Yippee I'm leaning towards a 10x 42 or 12 x42 SWFA SS. Should I go with the mildot or milquad recticle in the SS? Which is better or easier to use? Or would I be better of with a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x 42 w BDC or another brand of scope? I'm not sure and I know that you gurus will steer me right on this. I'm also planning on a EGW base with 20 MOA for plenty of adjustment. I want a good setup for the best accuracy and the ability to adjust accordingly for possible faster burning loads due to 20" barrel length. Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated. I already feel at home here.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2014 at 02:00

Welcome to the OT, 308. Glad to have you aboard.

Either the SS10x or 12x would be excellent for your stated purposes.  I would probably go with the 10x Mil-quad.  It is a bit "faster" for me.  10x or 12x, I'm going to have to leave to personal preference.  I've never cared much for 12x fixed power...  I've used a SS 12x, one of the older ones, and liked it fine for a 12x... I just don't care for 12x fixed.  If you get the SS10x, you'll be 'set' for some time...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2014 at 09:11
Welcome 308, I don't get to spend much time here at OT but I agree 100% with the SS 10X fixed choice. Its a damn fine tool and worth every penny you spend on it.

Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic