OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new to scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegabrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to scopes
    Posted: August/05/2014 at 10:31
first, i am new to this forum. i frequent a few others but i just came across this one yesterday. after checking a few of the threads, y'all really know your stuff. i am completely new to scopes and i just recently bought a .308 (savage arms because it was in my price range). it has the stock scope on it and i can keep a tight shot group easily at 100 yards (biggest range i have access to). do yall have any links or advice to give someone trying to learn? im not sure what questions to ask because shooting at 100 yards i'm sure is completely different than 600+. my ultimate goal is to be proficient at the 300-800 yard range.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 10:42
Best advice I can give right now, is to look through the topics that seem to ask the same questions you have and read them. Then if you have a question, ask it.

Are you interested in target shooting, hunting, competition, etc.?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 10:43
Tell us a little more about what you will use the rifle for:  Hunting?  Target?  Tactical?  Do you have a budget?

This will help us give you some recommendations, if you want to replace the scope.  

Welcome to the OT.
-Matt
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 10:46
Welcome!  You'll be happy with that Savage by most all accounts.  I don't own one, but I've heard they are an accurate platform, and there are many fans here.  Great choice of caliber, also.  As far as a scope for longer range, I would recommend one of the SS scopes from SWFA if you want to learn how to shoot at longer ranges.  A good ballistics app on your smartphone or laptop isn't a bad idea either.  To start learning, in addition to a longer range/place to shoot, you might look at one of these:

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1880_0" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1880$0" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1880_1" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1880$1" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1880_2" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1880$2" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1880_3" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1880$3" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1880_4" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1880$4" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1880_5" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1880$5" ="">
or these:

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope
Stock # - SS315X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • First Focal Plane
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Side Focus (6m-infinity)
  • OK for .50cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$699.95
Add SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl13_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2647_0" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl13$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2647$0" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl13_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2647_1" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl13$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2647$1" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl13_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2647_2" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl13$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2647$2" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl13_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2647_3" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl13$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2647$3" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl13_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2647_4" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl13$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2647$4" ="">

because they are first focal plane scopes, and one of these:

Mil-Dot Master
Mil-Dot Master
Stock # - MD1
  • Estimating Target Size
  • Determining Range to Target
  • Correcting for Bullet Drop
  • Correcting for Wind Drift
  • Correcting for Uphill/Downhill
  • Correcting Correction to Mil (holdover)
  • Correcting Correction to MOA (sight adjustment)
$29.95

Welcome to the forum, and get ready for an expensive hobby!

Deck

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
omegabrock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegabrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 11:18
my goal is target, hunting and tactical lol. i really enjoy just going out and sending a few down range but i want to get into hunting and my life long goal is to live on a nice chunk of land to hunt. plus the defensive aspect is a plus. 

i don't really have a budget set now. i don't know when i will have the ability to shoot farther than 100 yards so im just trying to learn what i can before the time comes to get something better. 

i already have the mil-dot master in another tab to check it out some more. saw that in another post. thanks for the quick replies. it's also good to hear that the savage has some fans. my wife surprised me with it one day when she came home haha.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 11:29
For a do-all type scope, I would look at a tactical-style riflescope.

The above mentioned SWFA 3-15 is hard to beat, but if you don't want FFP (and some of us don't ;) ), you can also look at the SFP Vortex Viper PST or HS-T.

Any of these scopes have matching reticle subtensions and adjustment values, and would make great scopes at reasonable costs to learn to shoot near and far.

I would also heartily recommend taking a quality beginner's long range shooting class, where you can reduce the learning curve substantially.
-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 11:31
I like Savage rifles and own one. It shoots really well, considering how inexpensive it was.

As far as scopes go, when you are ready to spend some cash, get the SS 3-15x42.

It is an excellent allround package.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegabrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 13:12
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

but if you don't want FFP (and some of us don't ;) ), 

I would also heartily recommend taking a quality beginner's long range shooting class, where you can reduce the learning curve substantially.

that first part opened up a whole new research tab for me, starting with the topic on this forum ffp vs sfp. thanks for mentioning this. also, taking a class is something i didnt know was an option. i will definitely start looking for some nearby.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2014 at 19:09
My best advice is to keep what you have until you know that it is limiting what you want to do. At that point you will know what you require in your next purchase. Everything is a trade off in some ways, so you have to choose what you want to trade for what you need most.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegabrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2014 at 11:10
yeah, i will definitely hold off for a while. at least until i can actually get some longer range shots.  

another question - are there benefits of either mil over moa or moa over mil? or is it basically the same thing, just with different formulas to explain the adjustments?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2014 at 11:18
Originally posted by R H Clark R H Clark wrote:

My best advice is to keep what you have until you know that it is limiting what you want to do. At that point you will know what you require in your next purchase. Everything is a trade off in some ways, so you have to choose what you want to trade for what you need most.

Considering what he has, that is not necessarily the best advice.  

If I understand this correctly, what he has a standard scope that came as a part of the package from Savage.  Savage has package a variety of different scopes on its rifle.  If it is the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x42, that can work allright for hime.  If this is one of the earlier "bubble-pack" Chinese scopes that I have seen, I would get rid of it in a hurry.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegabrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2014 at 14:45
it's a 4-12 power with a plain reticle. it's good for being pre-zero for normal target shooting
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2014 at 10:01
My advice is to find someone that can teach you, preferably professional instruction.

There is much information and misinformation on the internet, and no one becomes a competent marksman through online activities.  

And, as Koshkin said, your scope might be serviceable and it might not, determine that now, it could save you some real aggravation.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegabrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2014 at 15:57
i have looked into training and classes, the problem i have found with that is cost. since i have moved halfway across the country away from family, i really don't know anybody local. i would love to take some classes or at least meet somebody that i could go to the range with and pick their brain. and yea, i have found a good bit of conflicting information lol but i feel, as of now, if i can soak in enough of the information that seems to be pretty consistent then i can go out and figure it out a lot easier than just buying something and taking it to the range.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2014 at 12:36

If I understand this correctly, what he has a standard scope that came as a part of the package from Savage.  Savage has package a variety of different scopes on its rifle.  If it is the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x42, that can work allright for hime.  If this is one of the earlier "bubble-pack" Chinese scopes that I have seen, I would get rid of it in a hurry.

I would certainly agree with that! Still I would try to get enough experience to know what I needed before any purchase. At least think about things like turrets VS reticles, what reticle is needed, AO or not, and if size and weight are important considerations.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2014 at 20:49
http://www.samplelist.com/TradeInForm.aspx  this is the link to the trade in form .  SWFA will take used scopes in trade toward the purchase of a scope.  The advice to select one of the Super Sniper series scopes    http://swfa.com/MRAD-C4225.aspx    either the 3-9 or the 3-15 is very sound advice.  Personally I prefer the mil based scopes because you can use the reticle to measure from where the bullet hole is to where you want it to be and dial correction in in the same increments.   The FFP scopes have the advantage that  the reticle marks for 1 mil always represent 1 mil  at any power magnification therefore at low powers like 3X the reticle is quite small and at very high powers the reticle looks very large.  The second focal plane reticles always appear the same. Some of us that started with MOA based scopes still like that because for some reason we have become used to thinking about things in inches and with MOA  one MOA at 100 yds is about 1 inch so each 1/4 moa click moves 1/4 inch  and at 200 yds 1 moa is about 2 inches so each 1/4 moa click moves 1/4 of that two inches --- for a movement of 1/2 inch per click   at 300 yds  one moa is about 3 inches and 1/4 of three inches is  3/4 of an inch movement per click. With the FFP  Mil / Mil scopes you dont really think in terms of inches.  One Mil is a 3.6 inches at 100 yds  One Mil is 36 inches at 1000 yds. One Mil is 1 meter at 1000 meters.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/09/2014 at 21:02

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2014 at 20:56

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2014 at 21:18
It is also wise to invest in good quality rings and bases and a beginner may suffer a bit of sticker shock at the cost of the top quality ones but you get what you pay for.  This is about as low priced as I would go for rings.  If you look at the cost of Badger Ordnance Rings (the gold standard) these look like a bargain. Talley makes high quality bases that to me seem to be just as high quality as bases costing four times as much from some other manufacturers. Talley bases are a true bargain.  Their rings are almost as much as Badger and also very high quality .  Warne rings are good rings but Talley and Badger are better.   la Rue makes a quick detachable ring I like also  LT719 even more expensive.
Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings
Badger Ordnance Maximized Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - 30620
  • Matte
  • Medium (.885")
$167.95

Talley Tactical 30mm Rings
Talley Tactical 30mm Rings
Stock # - BAT30L
  • Black
  • Low
$164.95

Talley 1 Piece Base
Talley 1 Piece Base
Stock # - PS0252725
  • Savage Short Action w/ Accutrigger
  • Matte
$54.95
Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
Stock # - 214M2
  • Matte
  • Medium
$44.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic