OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nosler partition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nosler partition
    Posted: July/29/2014 at 13:59
are partition bullets overkill for deer? been wanting to try new ammo for the heck of it out of my 270 or 308.   midway usa just about every review for it is 5stars stating how its the best bullet etc etc. then i read in forums that it doesnt expand enough or is a waste of bullet for deer because its too tough,etc.    
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 14:01
Originally posted by Robster80 Robster80 wrote:

are partition bullets overkill for deer? been wanting to try new ammo for the heck of it out of my 270 or 308.   midway usa just about every review for it is 5stars stating how its the best bullet etc etc. then i read in forums that it doesnt expand enough or is a waste of bullet for deer because its too tough,etc.    

You've already beaten this same question to death on other forums.  Why do you persist?  The partition is the best hunting bullet ever designed for medium sized game, up to and including elk, aoudad, most african plains game IMO.  The others have been playing catch up for over 60 years.  
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 15:22
ha sorry. figure the more opinions the better. ill drop it
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 15:59
Great bullet as JG stated. That being said, IMO, the whitetail is probably one of the easiest BG animals to kill and I wouldn't spend the extra coin on them for that reason. If someone wants to show me some evidence to the contrary, meaning their whitetails require Partitions, I'm all ears.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 21:49
They are great for deer!! Provided you want to shoot em 2 and 3 deep. Like the Sierra game kings. Just be sure you catch some bone if your shootin only one at a time. Or you can make sure you load lighter gr bullets (80 to 130gr). They tend to expand better on Whitetail. Good Luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 05:18
You can always just buy a box and shoot a deer with it and see how you like it.  However, you won't really need a Nosler Partition on a deer.  

....but that gives me an idea for the next time I shoot at a pronghorn!  Those little devils are tough little buzzards!   Stare  

Visit the Ed Show
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 09:11
My general use ammo is 168-gr Amax, which works very well for deer.  I don't worry about purpose-built bullets till I get into tougher game (elk, African game,etc.)

I've never used Nosler partition, wasn't hunting 60 years ago, my "go to" bullets for high-value targets is Barnes TTSX, which have been outstanding for me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 09:54
Actually the front end of a Partition is very soft, like any other c&c non-bonded jacketed bullet. The front end expands very easily and rapidly, often shedding off completely on larger animals. It's the rear portion from the partition back that stays together and keeps penetrating that makes it suitable for larger animals. The front end expands plenty well enough on deer. It actually has similar expansion characteristics to the Nosler Accubond.

So, it's not at all "overkill" or "too tough" for deer.

The only issue with Partitions is they aren't the best choice for longer shot distances (if that's an issue at all where you hunt), given that more modern bullets have better BC. The other issue I have with them is I've never been able to get them to shoot as well as the more modern, more streamlined, better balanced bullets like Accubonds, Amax, TTSX, etc.

As was stated above, deer are thin skinned, relatively light-boned animals, and it ain't hard to anchor them. Most any decent bullet design works fine on deer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 11:51
Right on Rifle.  If I had to bet the farm on one bullet performing as designed, 100% of the time, my money is on the partition.  Only those who haven't used them much seem to badmouth them.   The accubond, as you said, performs in much the same way......like a tipped partion, and they are fantastic as well.  These are the only bullets caught, 12 animals total, from my Namibia safari this past May.  Not deer, but hopefully interesting anyway. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2014 at 12:38
KEWL!

Good pic, JG!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2014 at 15:45
Speer Hot-Cors haven't received a lot of attention lately in the shooting press.  However, they've worked just perfectly for deer and antelope in my .30-06's.  They are accurate in my rifles. 
I used a 250 grain Nosler partition in a .338 Win Mag to take my large brown bear.  With a well-placed broadside chest shot, the bear simply stopped and dropped.  Interestingly, the soft lead front of the bullet stopped and expanded into a thin lead "coin" right after penetrating the bear's hide at point of entry.  (Tough hide!)  The rest of the bullet went completely through the bear, and rendered him DRT (dead right there!).

You will get some good comments based upon actual experience in this forum.  The high-priced premium bullets aren't really necessary for deer, but if you like using them go right ahead!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic