OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rust on Steel Rings & Base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspecnsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust on Steel Rings & Base
    Posted: July/20/2014 at 14:38
Newb here,

How do you guys deal with this situation in terms of preventive maintenance and any other "do's and dont's"?

Thanks

John
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by milspecnsn milspecnsn wrote:

Newb here,

How do you guys deal with this situation in terms of preventive maintenance and any other "do's and dont's"?

Thanks

John

I have had steel rings and rails for quite some time and never really had any problems. I like Frog Lube for all my lubrication situations, (Smile) and this stuff works. 
Are you having problems with surface rust on your rings now? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
milspecnsn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspecnsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 15:41
Mark,

No, no problem with rust now. I ask in anticipation of getting my first set of steel base and rings(TPS TSR on Warne rail).

Pardon my "newb" questions. I assume that once the rail is mounted it pretty much stays on the receiver unless there is a need to take it off (e.g. have rifle Cerakoted)? How does one deal with moisture getting under the rail and potentially affecting the receiver or the rings on the scope/rail? 

I assume that over time moisture will defeat and penetrate the steel coating on the rail and rings?
Would one periodically dismantle everything and wipe it down and then re-zero it?

Thanks

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 16:00
I wouldn't take the rail off, ever. You can either epoxy bed the rail, or do as I did and apply a coat of blue Loc-Tite between the rail and the receiver to prevent moisture from wicking underneath it.  

I just pulled a Pic rail off my Rem after 8 plus years and noticed no rust what so ever under it. The former suggestion of epoxy bedding would probably be more beneficial.  

Be advised....You are ONLY epoxying the bottom of the rail to the contour of the rifle's receiver and NOT fixing the rail to the rifle's receiver permanently. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspecnsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 16:45
OK...gotcha on the rail bedding. What about maintenance for the rings? How's that handled?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2014 at 16:57
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 03:55
Eezox is the best rust preventive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 07:24
Again, it's not a real big problem. Just lubricate when cleaning your rifle and your good to go. I live in a HIGH humidity AO and it's never been an issue. 

Heck, I've even submerged my entire rifle/scope/stock et al in a bathtub after coming back from a TX hog hunt once because it was so dusty. Bubble Bath  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 10:12
use a silicone cloth to wipe down your firearms and rings before you put them away.  As the cloth gets older you may spray Rem oil on it or use another quality lube. Most bolt guns will hunt a lifetime with even the most minimal of care but wipeing them down to get the perspiration and salts from your hands off and after being in the rain is a good idea. Care for rings and bases the same as the rest of the rifle.  Even the stainless guns need to be wiped down to prevent rust.
If that isnt adequate because of an extreme enviroment have Walter Birdsong apply Black T finish that is what the military uses comes green black tan brown matte type finish not particularly pretty but dam effective and about a 6 month wait, nice way to darken stainless guns.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspecnsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 14:41
Wes and Mark,

Thanks much for your time and great advice. I have one last question and I'll be "good to go" with placing my order. 

What about dealing with moisture, or the potential for it to accumulate under the rings themselves where they contact the scope?

manderson,

Yep, have been using Eezox for a while and have been happy with it.

Cheers!

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 14:55
Originally posted by milspecnsn milspecnsn wrote:

What about dealing with moisture, or the potential for it to accumulate under the rings themselves where they contact the scope?

Nope. Never had that particular issue ever. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 17:13
I had a set of badgers rings rust on me.  I have had several sets of steel leupolds rust on me as well, and I live in a pretty dry climate.  I pretty much stick with aluminum now, then I don't have to worry about it.  Properly designed aluminum rings will hold up just fine. 

Marks recommendation for Frog Lube is the best.  That stuff is awesome.  You properly apply that stuff to your entire rifle (steel and aluminum parts that is) and it will never rust. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 17:21
By "properly" you mean using heat, I assume? 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2014 at 19:48
Yes and occasional reapplies. Just follow instructions is all
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspecnsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I had a set of badgers rings rust on me.  I have had several sets of steel leupolds rust on me as well, and I live in a pretty dry climate.  I pretty much stick with aluminum now, then I don't have to worry about it.  Properly designed aluminum rings will hold up just fine. 

Marks recommendation for Frog Lube is the best.  That stuff is awesome.  You properly apply that stuff to your entire rifle (steel and aluminum parts that is) and it will never rust. 

Hmmm...maybe a set of quality aluminum rings (Seekins)on the steel base might be a "better" way to go? That's not an issue right? Aluminum rings on steel base, or am I opening up a new can of worms ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 15:47
I run/ran Seekins aluminum on a steel Badger rail. Worked great. No worries.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milspecnsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 16:15
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I run/ran Seekins aluminum on a steel Badger rail. Worked great. No worries.  

Mark,

Done! "thanks" to you and everyone else who chimed in on this topic. You helped "walk me" through the thought/decision process with your collective experiences. It's is exactly what I was hoping for.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 17:42
The aluminum rings are also noticeably lighter too. The Seekins rings are super nice.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic