OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Questions from a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 17:33
Though I get the sense since Docter are German/international, many more people here have experience with Meopta. I know someone said to get the HD ones, but wouldn't the Meostar B1 8*56 be better for me?
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2014 at 08:40
Also guys, what's the difference between these and night binoculars? I know that the technology works totally different, but are these low light binoculars also in a sense night vision binoculars?
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 09:33
Sorry guys for all the questions, but just wanted one answered.

Is there much difference between how well a 12*50 and a 8*56  can see in low-light situations? (this is a meopta) The meopta customer service doesn't seem to think so.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 11:16
Originally posted by qpalzm qpalzm wrote:

just wanted one answered.

The meopta customer service doesn't seem to think so.

Perhaps the customer service agent needs to read their own advertisements.

The 12x50 is going to show more hand shake/image vibrations.

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/22/2014 at 11:35
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 14:05
Sorry,

I told him that I was considering the 8*56 because I needed something good for low-light situations..he said that I should go with the 10*42HD, because it is almost negligible how much more i can see with the 8*56. Here is part of what he said

"cut down on chromatic aberration. This will leave you with a much sharper sight picture, important if you’re counting tines on game, identifying ducks for daily limits, bird watching, etc. This will make them clearer in low light conditions as well (as colors and shadows tend to bleed together under muted twilight lighting)."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2014 at 17:51
I own a Vixen 8x56 Geoma Porro prism binocular which retails for $359.
Chromatic aberration during bright daylight is not even noticeable. 

It is very difficult for me to believe that a Meopta 8x56 roof prism binocular, which costs over a thousand dollars,
is going to display chromatic aberration to such a degree that "counting tines on game, identifying ducks for daily limits, bird watching, etc."
will be noticeably degraded, with regards to the sharpness of the sight picture. Say What

Since you are prone to excessive hand shake, an 8x model will give you less image vibration & better overall sharpness.

(Perhaps someone who has the Meopta 8x56 roof prism binocular will chime in.)

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/22/2014 at 18:36
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 00:24
I own 2 Meopta Meostar B1 8 X 56 binos for hunting with my sons. Purchased them specifically for low light conditions based on advice from this forum. They carry the mail when the light is all but gone. The alpha binos may be a "tad" better, but from what I've seen that "tad" costs a $1000 more. Don't believe you will be disappointed with the big Meo.
Outrider
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 09:11
I think we are misunderstanding each other. I simply stated to the customer service that I want to get a binocular that is good in low-light situations, and asked what he'd suggest. He said that all their top of the line bonculars do really well in low-light situations, and that 10*42 HD would be really good. I said that people have told me that you want to look for something with a large exit pupil and big lens for low-light situations, and he essentially said, that these are all top bincoulars and that it is negligible in terms of light difference between these two. That is what I wanted confirmed or refuted.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 14:37
The Meopta Meostar 10x42HD is a very good binocular in low light ... compared to other 10X42s. It also corrects CA extremely well.

However, the 8X56 model does not show excessive CA, and will provide a noticeably brighter image in extreme low light. The exit pupil also offers more "roaming" room for a more stable viewing.

For handheld, low light viewing the 8X56 is the better choice, which isn't really surprising, since it is the design intent for that configuration anyway.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - July/23/2014 at 18:06
-Matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 15:47
Matt,

Thanks! Thunbs Up
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 19:11
Bitteroot.

Thanks so much for that. Could you confirm one last thing for me. Is going from 10 magnification to 8 any big barrier? There are some things I want to see really up close, and I worry that dropping 2 magnification will not make me close enough to see that detail. This customer service person did tell me though that it isn't actually a huge difference to go down from 10 to 8 (again he said insignificant)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 19:48

Bitteroot.

Thanks so much for that. Could you confirm one last thing for me. Is going from 10 magnification to 8 any big barrier? There are some things I want to see really up close, and I worry that dropping 2 magnification will not make me close enough to see that detail. This customer service person did tell me though that it isn't actually a huge difference to go down from 10 to 8 (again he said insignificant)

The 8x vs. 10x is the endless debate.  You can search some long and involved threads on the subject here on OT.

Here are the Cliff's notes:

10x does provide some level of higher detail than 8x, but some (most) users can't really see it.

8x is easier to hold and offers more exit pupil, which can lead to the user seeing MORE detail with the 8x.

If you took a poll, most users would prefer 8x, but some groups (particularly Western US hunters) prefer 10x.

Personally, I get along with both, and both provide sufficient detail for my uses, which includes glassing for game animals miles away.

Hope that helps
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 20:21

Bitteroot.

User psychology is the determiner I'm thinking.  I personally doubt that some 90% of binocular users could tell if the unmarked binocular they were just handed was either 8x or 10x.  

If you want up close and personal, you either need to get up close or you will need more than 10x. That means a larger instrument, either a big binocular or a spotter and that will need a tripod.

Personally I think you have your choice made correctly.  Get the Meopta 8x56 and just go use and enjoy it.  You have admitted to handshake anyway, and to my mind you have eliminated 10x from the equation.  A steady image beats the devil out of a less steady one...regardless of the magnification Smile .
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 20:47
I trust people who have used it, so I absolutley trust someone like bitteroots and his view. But since its such a huge purchase, when a meopta customer rep says this, it just makes it more difficult:

"here won’t be a huge difference between the 10X42 HD (which will be $100 cheaper, with a sharper picture, and higher transmission rate) and the 8X56 (which will give you similar brightness owing to a larger exit pupil, but are heavier and more expensive)."

But yeah I will go with bitteroots suggestion. Heck, I can always return it if I'm not happy.
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 20:48
I also sort of don't understand why he cares that its cheaper for me. lol
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 20:51
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Get the Meopta 8x56 and just go use and enjoy it. 
You have admitted to handshake anyway, and to my mind you have eliminated 10x from the equation. 
A steady image beats the devil out of a less steady one...regardless of the magnification Smile 

:like:

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 20:53

Heck, I can always return it if I'm not happy.

Exactly! Excellent
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 21:24
I should be getting them in mid Sept, so I'll report back how I like them.

I'll def remember to post here, as I really appreciate you guys helping out.
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2014 at 17:51
I'm a couple weeks from buying.

I wanted to ask you guys how you think these would do for the winter?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2014 at 21:46
The Meopta 8X56 is a world-class low light instrument, regardless of season.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic