OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Questions from a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions from a newbie
    Posted: July/17/2014 at 12:12
Hey,

So I'm in the market for some binoculars (up to $1500). I have very little experience with them, I only have a $25 pair, and that sort of got me interested. (10*50 pair). I use it for general use and bird watching. Ideally I'd want a pair that can see fairly well in the dark, in low light situations. For example, how much light would i need to see something with an expensive pair of binoculars?

I'm also curious, for expensive binoculars that don't state that they have image stabilization, are these only useful with a tripod?

Cheers

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 12:59
I would give the Meopta Meostar HD a good consideration.  You won't find anything better than them in your price range, if they fit you. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:11
I have heard good reports on regarding Meopta, I would also suggest Vortex's Razor binoculars.

Another great option.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:20
The only model Canon IS binocular good for dark or low light situations would be the 10x42L IS WP with an exit pupil of 4+mm.

Low magnification non IS binoculars such as 7x, or 8x can be handheld without the use of a tripod or monopod.

For dark or low light situations, the best way to go would be either 7x50 or 8x56 binoculars which have a 7mm exit pupil for the most light gathering.

Here's just one example of each size:

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:30
So basically, any 10* magnification would be too shakey without a tripod?
My hands shake just in general as well, though.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:33
Originally posted by qpalzm qpalzm wrote:

So basically, any 10* magnification would be too shakey without a tripod?
My hands shake just in general as well, though.

If you are prone to shakiness in your hands than a 10x is not a good place to start unless it is an Image Stabilized 10x.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:40
Would you guys be able to compare the Canon 10*42 with IS vs Meopta Meostar HD. (I believe the Canon is about $700, the Meopta about $1200).

Is Meopta superior for the purposes I'm looking for? I'm trying to get an idea of how big difference there is in terms of being able to see things in very low light. Is it small difference? big?

I just want to understand if I should just buy the Meopta with a tripod, or the Canon (then I don't need the tripod)

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:41
Originally posted by qpalzm qpalzm wrote:

I use it for general use and bird watching. 

For general use, such as panoramic views, and for bird watching, a 10x binocular is going to give you a narrow Field of View, which is not good for catching birds up close on the fly. 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:45
Originally posted by qpalzm<span style=line-height: 1.4;>(I believe the Canon is about $700, the Meopta about $1200).</span><div><br><br>[/QUOTE qpalzm(I believe the Canon is about $700, the Meopta about $1200).

[/QUOTE wrote:

A new Canon 10x42 L IS WP is over $1,200.00.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

[QUOTE=qpalzm(I believe the Canon is about $700, the Meopta about $1200).

A new Canon 10x42 L IS WP is over $1,200.00.

qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 13:55
Sorry, I was thinking of the 12*42 that Canon had. I was looking that one up on Amazon few days ago.

How would you compare those two that I mentioned?

Is the Canon worth the extra $300 ? (on average, from what I see with the prices)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:04
There is no such binocular as a Canon 12x42 IS, obviously it was a typo.

Canon does make a 12x36 IS binocular.

You would have to do your own experimentation between binoculars.

Everyone's eyes are different.

I don't consider the Canon 10x42 L IS WP exceptional for dark viewing because of the 4mm exit pupil.
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:08
Ah ok, that really helps.

But can you in any way put into context what a good pair of binoculars (medium-high end) can see in low light (and what would be defined as low light)?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:21
Here's one link on low light from Opticstalk. You can do a Google search for others.

qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:29
Would you say the exit pupil size is the most important or a bigger objective lens?
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:31
exit pupil diameter of the meopta 10*42 is 4.2  mm
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:48
What do you guys think of Docter Binoculars 8*56?

The video about it suggested you can see fine with just moonlight? That is hard to believe.

Docter 8x56 ED/OH Binoculars

qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 15:08
I see you posted the Docter ones in a previous post of yours. (8*56)

Any place that ships to Canada though?
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 15:15
What is the difference between the Docter ED/Oh and Docter B/GA?
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 15:53
My mind is almost set on these 8*56 Docter ones, (7mm) they also have 8*58 ones (7.25mm pupil)

I'm use to the 10 maginification though, so I'm just a little worried about how well I can see in distance.

How much of a range should I be able to see?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic