OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss #60 reticle experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss #60 reticle experience
    Posted: July/17/2014 at 10:50

Looking to get thoughts on the Zeiss #60 reticle.  I have a Varipoint 1.5-6 and 2.5-10x42 with the #60 reticle.  The glass is fantastic, but I find the reticle to be a bit thin at the lower powers.  Much thinner than my Swarovski PH and Kahles Helia C scopes.  Wondering what your experiences have been with it before I decide to send them in for a change.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 14:05
I have that reticle on my Zeiss HT 1.5-6, it's on the thin side, much Like my Swarovski 4a and Lecia 4a. My Kahles C 2-7x36 4a reticle is thicker.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 01:34

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I have that reticle on my Zeiss HT 1.5-6, it's on the thin side, much Like my Swarovski 4a and Lecia 4a. My Kahles C 2-7x36 4a reticle is thicker.

Mike, doesn't the Zeiss Varipoint 1.5-6 and 2.5-10x42 #60 have the reticle in the 1st focal plane as opposed to your Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 which has the reticle in the 2nd focal plane? This would presumably make the Varipoint reticle thinner at the lower settings than on the HT.

I have the Z6 1.7-10x42 with 4a reticle and it's okay but I think the #4 reticle would be better. Anyway, could you please give me your opinion on the low light performance of the Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 vs the Z6. Is there much of a difference in the optical quality of the two? I'm contemplating getting a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 #60 reticle because of the illumination and also Zeiss' advertised low light superiority of the HT. Zeiss always was good at marketing though so I would appreciate the opinion of someone who actually hunts with the scope.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic