OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver SS Euro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver SS Euro
    Posted: July/10/2014 at 08:58
New to the forum, not to shooting and hunting.  Look forward to contributing and learning all I can.

I'm putting together a longer range rifle combination for the cutovers and recently logged areas of our club (reason I gave the wife) but mainly because I want (another) one.  This gun is going to be based on the Remington 700 LR rifle in 7mm Mag.

I'm optic shopping and researching.  I'd like to budget between $750 and $1,250.oo for the optic.  I purchased a Trijicon Accupoint for my other 700 in 7mm08 last year and really like it.  The post is fast to target and easily seen, just not as fine for range work.  I prefer a German #4 reticle in most instances but like turrets I can adjust.  Lots of give and take here.

I'm considering the Meopta R2 series, the Nightforce SHV IHR, another Trijicon and the Weaver Super Slam Euro 800373.  I'm sure the reticle on the SS is the same as the other #4 of theirs I've seen and fine but the scope is a FFP offering so that should actually be a benefit.  I own one other SS on a .243 and really like the scope for varmint sniping.

Does anyone know anything about this Weaver?  Is it even close to the Meopta or Nightforce?
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2014 at 11:03
I can't speak to the Weaver Super Slam but have a couple of their Weaver Tacticals plus two Meopta Meostar R1.

Weaver Tacticals are very good scopes but I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Meopta.  My Weavers compare very well with SWFA non-HD SS 3-15X or Zeiss Conquest.  The Meopta is a step or two higher and they are very comparable optically to my Z3, Leica ER and Leupold VX-6.

I'd recommend the Leica ER with their target turrets option.  I've seen them with their IBS reticle but assume they are available with the #4 reticle.

Another good option is the Leupold VX-6. Not sure if you want illumination, but their Firedot 4 reticle is nice and it comes with a certificate for a free CDS turret tailored to your load.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2014 at 13:05
Thanks, I had a Weaver Tactical with the Ill EMDR Reticle, I wasn't impressed with the full reticle illumination and thought the reticle was too busy for hunting situation.  The #4 is a fine dot and simple.

The Leica is a bit more than I want to spend on a scope for the "back-up" gun (another one I put on for the wife).  I'll take a look at the Leupold, I had gotten away from them because I didn't like the performance in the low light conditions I hunt but it's been a while since I picked on up.
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2014 at 13:12
You know I think those are all great choices except the super slam euro.. My friend wanted a couple scope for his 3030 and his 3006 I suggested the super slam 3-10x40 (Cant remember exact but i think it was this power range) anyways he got that and also a Burris E1. We got both scopes and I was REALLY disappointed with the Weaver. The burris was a lot cheaper and the glass looked a lot better. 
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2014 at 23:45
I'd do a Super Slam or another Tactical in a heartbeat.  They're terrific scopes, particularly in their price class(es).  Excellent clicks & adjustments, too.
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2014 at 13:45
Are the Weaver SS and Tacticle reticles wire or etched. ? Anyone know where I can find the tech specs on these?
Thank you.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2014 at 13:58
The EBX I have on the SS on my .243 is etched.  I believe all the SS are etched.  The Tactical I had was an EMDR and I believe it was but I'm not 100% certain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic