OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wyoming Pronghorn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wyoming Pronghorn
    Posted: July/06/2014 at 23:14
I feel like I just won the lottery.  I drew a Pronghorn tag in Wyoming.

I have hunted lots of different species all over the planet, but I've never hunted Pronghorn.  

I'm taking a Sako A7 in 30-06 with a Swaro Z-5.  I know it's a little too much gun, but it's light and accurate.

Anyone have advice for me?  Shooting sticks vs. 25" bipod?  Should I take my large tripod for the spotter, or just a table-top?

Any help is greatly appreciated…

REMF
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2014 at 23:45
I have no advice, as I've never hunted pronghorn either. Your choice of rifle and scope is undoubtedly more than up to the task. On the decision between sticks vs. bipod, I would choose based on whether you're hunting from blinds (bipod) or spot and stalk (sticks).

Just wanted to say congratulations on drawing a tag, and best of luck to you on your hunt!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2014 at 04:46
I would just take the table top tripod.  I never used a spotter.  I always simply used binoculars. You could use it on the hood of the pickup. The 30-06 is a good choice.  Antelope are tougher in real life than a lot a magazine articles would make you believe.  

Binoculars, and leather gloves for crawling, are a must. I never used a rangefinder, either, but one of those would definitely be recommended out in the sagebrush. 

Visit the Ed Show
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2014 at 22:13
Just wrapped up the trip.  Fantastic.

Tons of goats.  

Took a big 88 mm objective spotter.  Should have carried more compact glass.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 04:57
Surf & Turf, congratulations nice goat!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 08:06
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

I feel like I just won the lottery.  I drew a Pronghorn tag in Wyoming.

I have hunted lots of different species all over the planet, but I've never hunted Pronghorn.  

I'm taking a Sako A7 in 30-06 with a Swaro Z-5.  I know it's a little too much gun, but it's light and accurate.

Anyone have advice for me?  Shooting sticks vs. 25" bipod?  Should I take my large tripod for the spotter, or just a table-top?

Any help is greatly appreciated…

REMF

There is no such thing as "too much gun"… 30-06 is fantastic for your purposes and the scope is excellent, as others have said.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 21:45
Very nice!  Where in WY?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 10:31

" I don't see Bill, Wyoming on that map!! "    

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 10:38

" Hey!! Quiet down over there, for Christ's sake!! "    

Visit the Ed Show
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 11:12
I was lucky enough to live in WY for ten years so have been to Bill and a few other largely abandoned frontier outposts that no longer show on maps such as Spotted Horse (East of Gillette) where I hunted Mule Deer on my bosses pioneering family ranch for five years before moving from Cheyenne to the Powell/Cody area.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 11:43
I used to work drilling rigs over in Spotted Horse and Recluse and Oshoto and all over there.  I love Wyoming.  Long winters, though.....

My wife and I used to live on a ranch out by Walker Creek about twenty miles or so from Bill.  

We got married up in Esterbrook, back when it was a Seasonal Camp.....now I think there are more than five people who live there year-round....  

Edited by Son of Ed - September/29/2014 at 11:49
Visit the Ed Show
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 12:01
Yes, Wyoming is a wonderful place.  I got greedy and returned to the West Coast to make more money and still miss everything but the winters.  We go back to visit friends and hang out at favorite places, several of which are quite obscure.  You no doubt have patronized the Spotted Horse General Store.  When we were there in the early 90s you usually had to wake the owner who was "asleep" in the bar, if it was after noon, to buy something.  I always wondered how much stuff walked out the door but then again it was Wyoming so probably not much with the locals anyway.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 12:17
Years later I was back, working out of Wamsutter in between Rawlins and Rock Springs.  Never did get back up to Douglas.  Just worked all over the Entire Southern Half of Wyoming ....with several jobs up in Pinedale up in the Overthrust.... 
Visit the Ed Show
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 13:57
Nice pictures.

Not sure how to edit but I just noticed I posted incorrect info. in one of my prior responses.  Spotted Horse is West of Gillette, not East.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:21
......yeah, I know.........    Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:31

Spotted Horse, Wyoming looking west from downtown

Spotted Horse, Wyoming looking Eastward from near the Downtown business district....... Indiana Jones

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:33

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:35

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:41
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 14:47
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic