OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Hot Shots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wildlife Shots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wildlife Shots
    Posted: July/03/2014 at 15:58
Here's some pictures that I took while out with Rifledude one afternoon.

I was using:
Nikon D7000 Body
Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

Some of these have a lot of noise, which is my fault. When I received the camera I was toying with the settings.  Meanwhile, I set the auto ISO and when I did, it was put on High 2. After talking with Ted, we discovered this is like 26,000 ISO. Thus the noisy imagery.

After looking at them, it's not bad if you are looking at the image with artistic point of view because it appears as a canvas shot.

None the less, here's the images.

The twelfth picture was my favorite to shoot. It's unfortunate that is didn't turn out like the rest. It's not often that you come across three Alpha looking whitetail deer congregated together.  These are going to be some huge deer come Oct. / Nov. They hung around for a short time allowing Ted and I to photograph them, but then lost the sense of safety and decided to exit back into the dense woods.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 16:16

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 17:23
Way cool! Considering the fact the ISO was 12,800 and after seeing the huge amount of noise in the original RAW files, I think the noise reduction in post worked remarkably well!

You should post the pics you took of the deer we saw on the side of the road outside Lake Somerville State park too.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 18:21
S**t, only in my dreams. Thanks guys pics are super!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 08:58
Prior to the shots above, Ted and I drove around Somerville Park looking for some deer to take pictures of. We drove around the entire park and didn't see anything because the park was packed. But as the sun made it's descent, and while we made our exit, these two were on the side of the road feeding.

These were shot with a Nikon D800 Body.
The lens was Nikon Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF ED with a Nikon TC-14EII (1.4X) teleconverter attached.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 13:06
Those pics turned out great!Excellent Very sharp, and you can see every little hair on the antler velvet!

Looks like the doe was shedding her coat.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 13:10
Nice shots!

I got some wildlife shots this week.

Is there a July contest?
-Matt
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 13:13
Thanks Matt.

Not yet. We still have one more day of voting. The winner will choose what July's contest shall be.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 13:26
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Those pics turned out great!Excellent Very sharp, and you can see every little hair on the antler velvet!

Looks like the doe was shedding her coat.
No kidding. The lens you are using, combine with your camera body capture some amazing pictures.  I was explaining to Lovie last night when taking pictures at my son's tee ball game, with the new lens that I want, compared to the one I have,  there is a noticeable difference with how well they work together.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 13:31
white tail!!!!!
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2014 at 07:05
Excellent depth of field and detail! Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2014 at 13:34
Excellent
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Nice shots!

I got some wildlife shots this week.

Is there a July contest?

Update Matt. Photo contest is Summer images.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 16:26
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Excellent depth of field and detail! Excellent

Honestly this was a quick point and shoot.

I was using Ted's camera and we were driving by. I didn't make any adjustments and with the focal length I was just trying to locate this youngster in the view finder.

But thank you.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 16:52
The camera was set at f/5.6, which at 420mm (300mm lens x 1.4 due to the teleconverter), blurred the background nicely to make the deer really stand out.
Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 17:13
Ted,

I am saving for a lens, as I have discussed. The 70-200 f4 and 300 f4 are my finalists. Reach is important, as it is for wildlife primarily, but the amazing VR of the 70-200 had me leaning that way.

Having both, what do you think?
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 18:20
Hi, Matt, I'll give you my thoughts on that when I get home tomorrow. Posting with my cell phone is much more cumbersome for my big, clumsy fingers.
Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 21:59
No hurry Ted,  I still have plenty of saving to do.

Maybe they will release the 300 f4 VRIII while I am waiting.

Boo Hoo
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 22:25
Here is a wildlife pic I took this week:

-Matt
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2014 at 22:34
Wow!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic