OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 issue
    Posted: July/02/2014 at 22:31
I just assembled a new AR15 upper that is a really nice single shot at the moment. The round chambers fine, seats and fires but the it will not eject. I didn't think to check to see if the BCG would lock back after firing one round, but I don't think it's moving far enought to eject the round anyway. So my guess is that it is under gassed at the moment, but not for sure. Ammo was Federal 55 grain 5.56mm XM193 Ball. I also didn't think to try the Winchester 55 grain white box I had with me, to see if that made a differance. I was also using a Pmag.

Here are the components:

Seekins forged upper
Rainier 18" SPR contour barrel, with rifle length gas system
YHM low profile gas block
WOA rifle length gas tube
Spikes tactical full auto BCG
15" MI Quad Rail
YHM 5M1 compensator

Seekins forged lower
CMMG lpk
Magpul CTR stock kit with carbine buffer

Here's my thoughts so far. First I need to double check to make sure the gas tube is clear and the ports are lined up. I am certain that the gas tube hole in the barrel nut is perfectly centered on the upper. Beyond that, I'm not sure where to start. My other guess is that maybe the spring and buffer aren't matched to the rifle length system. I did swap BCG's and the rifle did the same thing with the generic PSA BCG as well.

Any thoughts. Thanks for the help.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 05:29
Is the gas key loose/staked?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 07:08
Also, make sure the port in the gas block is aligned with the gas port on the barrel, and that both aren't obstructed.

Edit: ...but I believe you mentioned that already.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 08:32

Both Ted and Mark offer great suggestions.  Also look for any fouling leaking around the gas block, would indicate a loose gas block.

I have had this happen on one occasion with an upper that I helped someone assemble.  Once he got it home it would fire one round, eject and that is it.  I tore the upper down, checked the size of the gas port, it was fine (0.093-0.096), gas tube was not blocked and everything was lined up.  What I did notice was that the bolt, bolt carrier and upper receiver were bone dry.  I lubed it up and test fired it and it functioned properly.  My buddy wasn't applying enough lube. 

I don't know how much lube you put on, but I run my new builds pretty wet until the get broken in a little.

Edited by cpwomack - July/04/2014 at 13:32
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 09:13
I'm fairly sure the bcg isn't the problem, simply because I tried a differant one that works in my 16" middy. But I will look that over as well. The upper was pretty wet as well, I thought I may have over oiled it. Unfotunatley I can't mess with it again until next  week. But when I can, I will remove the gas tube and block and blow air through everything to make sure it's clear. The barrel has the set screw dimple and I used the YHM set screw low profile block, so I don't think I could have messed that up, but I will check.

Any thoughts on the buffer and spring being mismatched to the rifle length gas system.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 09:29

You should not have a problem running a carbine buffer and spring with rifle length gas, I have done it in the past and never had any problems.  Not all gas block are the same dimensions, so the screw dimple may be set-up for a different gas block.  I doubt that is the problem, but it is worth checking, the hole in most gas blocks is oversized.

Start at the gas port and work your way back:

Check the size of the gas port.

Measure the distance from the edge of the gas block to the gas port in the gas block.  Use this measurement to determine if the dimple works with the YHM gas block.

Check the gas tube to make sure it is not blocked.

Check the torque on the gas keys.

If none of that helps, then I am out of ideas.

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 09:31
Also do quick inspection of bolt to make sure it is not installed backwards, an assembly problem I once experienced when Robar returned a newly NP3 plated BCG for my 6.5 Grendel with the bolt installed 180 degrees backwards so the extractor was in the 9:00 position rather than 3:00.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 09:45
I didn't see the part where you tried a different bcg.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by Rainman Rainman wrote:

Also do quick inspection of bolt to make sure it is not installed backwards, an assembly problem I once experienced when Robar returned a newly NP3 plated BCG for my 6.5 Grendel with the bolt installed 180 degrees backwards so the extractor was in the 9:00 position rather than 3:00.

A friend had the same thing happen once, and it caused a jam (as the ejector tried to send the round out the solid side of the receiver) but did not result in a round staying in the chamber.

This sounds like a gas port issue. Try everything mentioned above.

How could it be the buffer or spring if the round is staying chambered?

Good luck.  The downside to assembling your own guns is that you are the tech support for your  work.  
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:26
I concur. Sounds like a gas issue of some sort.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:35

Had a similar problem with a customer build. Had a universal gas block with oversized port new everything but wouldn't cycle. After checkin and recheckin four times I discovered that when I pushed a drill bit shank first in the barrel port it didn't show in the bore. I had missed that the other four times. You could put the bit in drill point first and it would drop into the bore. But, if you dropped it shank first it would not go. A single burr was enough to obstruct gas. I cleared the burr and the thing cycled flawlessly. From now on that is one of the first things I check.

Also make sure that the gas tube is within the correct perimeters.

Good Luck!!

Edited by Sgt. D - July/03/2014 at 10:40
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:36
Also, remove the bolt and make sure the 3 gas rings are installed on the bolt piston. They could have been accidentally omitted.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 13:15
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Also, remove the bolt and make sure the 3 gas rings are installed on the bolt piston. They could have been accidentally omitted.

Or the three slots could be lined up letting the gas go by.

It could just be the rifle length gas system as well.  With a 18" barrel, they do not build up as much pressure.  I had an 18" WOA barrel with rifle length and I had to be picky with ammo for it to function right. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 23:55
I had a burr in the gas port of the barrel on a new one once once removed its flawless.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Lwest1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwest1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2014 at 06:41
I had this problem with an 18" barrel and rifle length gas. The dwell time is too short once the gas gets to the port. After a great deal of research I found that .104" to .108" is a good size gas port for this setup. I drilled .106 and the problem went away. If you worry about going that big on the gas port, start opening it up a bit at a time until it functions (and continues to functions dirty).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2014 at 09:24
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

I thought I may have over oiled it. 

That's virtually impossible. You should see how wet I run my bolt on my AR. I dip the entire bolt in an oil bath and slap it in the carrier. More problems occur on an AR from NOT ENOUGH lube, then with too much...IMHO.   
Bubble Bath   
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2014 at 11:50
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

I thought I may have over oiled it. 

That's virtually impossible. You should see how wet I run my bolt on my AR. I dip the entire bolt in an oil bath and slap it in the carrier. More problems occur on an AR from NOT ENOUGH lube, then with too much...IMHO.   
Bubble Bath<span style="line-height: 1.4;">   </span>

Unless you live in a sand pit like I do. Mine stays pretty dry so it doesn't hold on to a lot of grit...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2014 at 11:57
Probably so, Bill. Have you tried any dry lubes? 
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2014 at 15:16
I have not. Kinda hard to get past CLP I used in the Corps. But I haven't done much research on any other lubes.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2014 at 21:33
Try some frog lube Bill. No need for clp after that. Its especially good in the dusty areas where dirt and grit are big problems
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic