OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which compact 8x bino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which compact 8x bino
    Posted: July/02/2014 at 19:23
I am needing help with selecting a good compact 8x bino for deer hunting. Most of my hunting will be done in fairly dense woods with most distances being 300 yards or less. I need something with good glass but in a small, light package as most of my stands are at least a 30 minute hike from the truck. I appreciate any help with this as I have very limited knowledge of binos. I would like to keep it under $300 if I could.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2014 at 20:24
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2014 at 21:52
What do you mean by "compact"?  There is no official objective size designation for the term "compact".  Some would consider a 15 oz. 8x30 to be compact, and others would consider a compact to be a 20mm bino.  Can you tell us what objective diameter you are looking for?  Therefore, we won't waste time recommending a 30mm bino when it is really a 20mm you are looking for.  Or vice versa.....
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2014 at 22:10
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-8x32-Talon-HD-Binocular-P51767.aspx

That one or Zen Ray are going to be your best option within your budget.

Excellent suggestion ST.
cookjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 16:25
Thanks for the suggestions. I would be fine with a 8x32 that is definately smaller than the Vortex vultures that I was using. I will try to find a shop where I can put my hands on both of those and see which one I like the best.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 18:06

The best 8x32 between $200 and $300 that I've seen so far is the Leupold Mojave.  Sharper and more color-neutral than the Talon, and a bit smaller in footprint too.  These handle quite nicely, and come with a very comfortable neckstrap.  Even better is the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, but these will cost a bit over your budget.

For between $100 and $200, look at the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32.  Excellent view, light in weight, and with a good focus wheel.  It represents one of the best buys under $300.  They only weigh about 17 oz. too.

Also consider the 8x32 Celestron Trailseeker and it's near-clone the Zen-Ray ZRS HD too.  Great view, very compact.  Also, you might consider the Bushnell Ultra Legend HD in 8x36.  Although a 36mm bino, it is actually fairly compact for it's objective diameter, and provides a very nice view.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 21:50
Jason,

Here's something for your reading enjoyment.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
cookjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2014 at 18:54
Thanks for all the suggestions I am trying to find a retail store with these so that I can put my hands on them and see how they fit me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic