OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Experiences with NF ATACR scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experiences with NF ATACR scope?
    Posted: June/21/2014 at 19:26
Does anyone have any experience with the Nightforce ATACR scope?

I was wondering how it compares with the top tier scopes made by Kahles, US Optics, S&B, Steiner, etc?

I will be using my Sako TRG 42 out to about 2000 yards and I know one should spend the equal cost of the rifle for the scope but the budget right now does not allow that.

Anyone familiar with the rifle and the ring height for this scope ( rifle has a Near 25 moa rail) that will get it low enough for lens caps but not much more?

Thanks
mclenden View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mclenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2014 at 20:27

This is probably too late but if you went with NF I am sure you're pleased with your decision. I recently purchased a NF 2.5-10x42 NXS MOAR and love it. Visit www. whoops .com  and look for a blem to save some money. I had to look long and hard to find my blem if it is really a blem. Just wish SWFA sold the NF's.

If you need a sunshade buy it here for a fraction of what the EO people will sell you one for. No need to pay S&B pricing if you don't have to.

Cool

edited: Please remember the rules that you agreed to when posting here on OpticsTalk.
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.

Edited by Skylar McMahon - July/29/2014 at 16:53
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 15:01
How much elevation and windage adjustment do the NF scopes have. ?
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 18:13
I believe the NF scopes have 110 of elevation
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 23:22
The ATACR has 120MOA or 34.9MIL of elevation and 60MOA or 17.45MIL of windage. The NXS models vary depending on which mag range you select from 65 to 110MOA of elevation and from 45 to 100MOA of windage. The benchrest models have even less.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2014 at 10:38
For that scope and its intended use, I cannot believe they made it in SFP.

On your top tier list above, I'd remove USO, unless their glass has gotten much better in the past few years.

Nightforce is a solid scope, very well made, very durable, very reliable mechanicals (I too have the 2.5-10x42 and love it) but their glass has always been not great and their SFP reticles are a drawback for those who like to dope the reticle and not the turret.

And the part about "equal cost" isn't exactly correct, what we try to avoid is a great gun with a POS scope, which I see quite frequently.  That arrangement leads to much frustration.  You say it is a 42 so either 338 or 300WM, I am a huge 300WM fan and regardless of what rifle it was going on, a stock 5R or a Accuracy International, I'd mount a Kahles K624i (second gen.)  The objective isn't to match dollar signs, it is to match capabilities.

And 2000 yards is a poke, will that be "the" shot or will that be a "sometimes" shot?  Set the rifle up for the usual, not the exception.  If it will be shot mostly at 600 or 1000 yards, set it up for that.  I see many, MANY shooters at the 100 and 200 yard lines with 50BMGs and 338Lapua, guns they bought and set up for 1000 yards.  A 1000-yard shot can be a challenge, a 2000 yard shot is really a hell of a thing; just a very minor miscall on wind and you are WAY off target.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2014 at 03:41
Excellent call RC Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2014 at 14:31
Thank you for the info. Tho NF scopes are very good I don't see myself buying one. SWFA and IOR are the brands I'm interested in. I'm researching scopes for an upcoming 338/375 Ruger build. One for general big game hunting and 1 for Long Range = 1 mile. The 2 brands I have picked are both sold by SWFA so I know they will be a good company to deal with.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic