OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Cameras, Equipment and Settings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long Exposure settings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Exposure settings
    Posted: August/06/2015 at 03:58
This is an old thread but it's time to get you're long shutter settings tuned up.  The Perseid meteor shower is happening.  It will climax on about the 13th.  Look to the NE.  The best chance for seeing them is between midnight and dawn.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 08:42
Great photo Matt.

Excellent sharpness, great contrast. Just a very cool photo. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2014 at 21:04
Thunbs Up
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2014 at 17:35
Thanks Ted.

The ghosts are from shooting through a hotel window, not the lens.

The 35 1.8G DX has amazing sharpness.  You can read the street signs in the original file.
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2014 at 17:17
Really cool shot, Matt!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2014 at 15:58
Deadwood, SD

-Matt
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 13:17
You and me both.

I started saving toward it last week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 13:15
Yeah, the 70-200 f4 is great for wildlife, but also portraits, due to perspective compression.  Saving my pennies for that lens.
-Matt
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:55
Those guys were about 80 yards away?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:55
Matt he's a picture I took with that very lens.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:44
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Interesting....I will have to look into that one as well.

The next lens I plan to purchase, is in fact the one that you allowed me to use while driving back from the trip.

Matt is referring to the same lens I have that you used on your last visit... the 70-200 f/4 FX.

Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I think the 70-200 f4 VR will be my next lens.  The VR on that thing is flat out amazing.  It is steadycam-like with video!

Yep, that's it. It has Nikon's latest generation VR technology, and it's flat out amazing how low you can go on shutter speed and still get a sharp hand-held image! It's probably the most forgiving lens I've ever used from the standpoint of not only VR effectiveness, but also... for whatever reason, I seem to nail the focus with it more consistently than any other lens I have. And, when I do nail the focus, it's tack sharp. In fact, believe it or not, I would even buy it over the f/2.8 version, even if they were priced the same, due to the much lower weight and length. I seldom ever wish I had the extra stop of light, simply because with today's excellent sensors, you can get away with bumping ISO up much higher than ever before to compensate for the smaller max aperture. I'm seldom ever shooting wide open anyway for how I use this lens.

It's become my favorite Nikon zoom lens. I highly recommend it!
Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:17
Interesting....I will have to look into that one as well.

The next lens I plan to purchase, is in fact the one that you allowed me to use while driving back from the trip. Already started saving towards that one.

But I will look into the one that Matt suggested. Bokeh intrigue me as well. But I lean more towards capturing wildlife images, because like many of us, that is where a lot of my time is spent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:15
I have the 55-200 DX, and while it is pretty good for an inexpensive lens and provides plenty of reach, I would still recommend getting the 35 1.8.

I think the 70-200 f4 VR will be my next lens.  The VR on that thing is flat out amazing.  It is steadycam-like with video!
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

No, but my next lens is ______, sorry, I cannot immediately recall. It's one of Ted's favs. I think it is Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens but I'm not able to get access to my wishlist right now.

No, I have an FX (full frame) camera, so DX (APS-C or "crop" sensor camera) lenses don't work on my camera. The lens you used was the 70-200 f/4 VRII FX. You can still use FX lenses on your DX (1.5 crop) camera; you just don't get the full FOV angle at any focal length the lens is capable of. This isn't a problem, and in fact in some circumstances where you need extra effective "reach," it's actually an advantage. Zoomed to 200mm, you have 300mm "effective" focal length on your camera, which is handy for "closer in" wildlife photography. It's not the best choice to use for the type of photography we're discussing here, though.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the 35 / 1.8 DX Matt recommended is a good fast lens to have as well, for not much money (I believe it's around $200). It works well for "all around" standard photography, low light, action photography where you don't need much zoom, and for isolating a subject from the background (nice "bokeh" shots).
Ted

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:55
Excellent Sweet!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:39
No, but my next lens is ______, sorry, I cannot immediately recall. It's one of Ted's favs. I think it is Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens but I'm not able to get access to my wishlist right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:30
Skylar,

Have you got the DX 35 1.8G for your D7000?

If not, you should definitely pick one up.  It is an inexpensive but nice lens.  Super sharp, big aperture for those shallow DOF effects and fast shutter speeds in low light.
-Matt
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:22
Thanks Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2014 at 10:21
Lookin' good, Skylar.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic