OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sightron big sky 3-12 by 42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sightron big sky 3-12 by 42
    Posted: June/16/2014 at 19:18
I just bought a used Sightron Big Sky scope last week. Mounted it on my 280 and am extremely impressed with the scope. The glass seems to be as nice if not better than my Minox ZA5 with the light gathering capabilites about equal. What I really liked was how the darker color crosshairs stood out better in low light than those of the Minox. It zeroed in quickly and held zero. Just want to say thanks to people on this sight for putting reviews in on different makes of scopes. I probably wouldn't have made the purchase had it not been for people on this sight praising the scope.Big Smile
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2014 at 19:27
Glad you found a scope that will serve you. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dirtyoldsix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtyoldsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2014 at 09:02
I agree, the Sightron Big Sky is a wonderfull, much underrated rifle scope. 
If you can see it you can hit it.
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2014 at 22:04
I agree the Sightron Big Sky model is a superb scope. Plus to top it all off it has a Hydrophobic coating! Mine sits on one of my "bad weather" rifles. Congrats on your new scope....you picked a great one for the money. If Sightron had better reticles I would own many more myself. I still love my Big Sky though!
OK_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 11:00
I am very interested in the SII BS 3-12 model for my .300 WSM. Does anyone know how the HHR reticle stands out during low light use? Thanks!
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 12:23
Congrats! I've always heard good things about the Big Sky scopes but I have never seen one.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by OK_Hunter OK_Hunter wrote:

I am very interested in the SII BS 3-12 model for my .300 WSM. Does anyone know how the HHR reticle stands out during low light use? Thanks!

Although I like these Sightron scopes a lot, I was less than thrilled with the HHR at low light times. It seemed to disappear about the last 15 minutes or so (prime time). Of course, my eyesight isn't the greatest. Perhaps it was just me and others would be fine. I ended up selling the scope to a buddy... he loves it and is happy.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
ol0ko View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ol0ko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2014 at 05:11
Originally posted by R H Clark R H Clark wrote:

Congrats! I've always heard good things about the Big Sky scopes but I have never seen one.

You should take a look at there website then:  http://info.sightron.com. I just happen to know a store that has loads of them and not just Big Sky but all there models more or less and I am my self impressed with them especially with Big Sky scopes.

I really like there new SIH 4-12x40 AOHHRPK. Although it is black-pink colour combination for some reason.
OK_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2014 at 17:49
The Big Sky seems like an excellent scope...has anyone compared it directly to a nikon monarch 3-12x42?
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2014 at 18:19
I have compared it against my Monarch and felt the Big Sky was superior in every way. The Sightron adjustments are excellent (which they are well known for) and the optics are better to my eye (which is subjective I know). The eye relief is great as well. The 2 minor issues I have with the Big Sky is the reticles and the eye box can be slightly critical. With my eyes the Sightron falls between the Zeiss conquest and Swarovski Z3 as a comparison. "If" the reticles were etched and darker I would buy many more Big Sky models. At the $500 price point it is a hard scope to beat, especially with the Hydrophobic coatings. The light transmission is right on par with the lower end German glass but again the reticles hurt them slightly at dark. Otherwise they are very bright.

I, like most on here, have a safe full of scopes from low to the high end German stuff. The Sightron is made in Japan and holds VERY close to most scopes at the 850-1k price point. Once you get past the 1k price point I start to see the differences (again for my eyes). If Sightron could somehow put Zeiss reticles in their scopes I would buy many more. Sightron's coatings and mechanicals are just plain Great at that price point.

Best of luck
Dirtyoldsix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtyoldsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 04:53
My Sightron S2 BS on a Lee Enfield no4 MK2

If you can see it you can hit it.
Lennyo3034 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lennyo3034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2014 at 13:26
I have one on a hunting rifle and think it's only ok. The glass is fine, however I'm not a fan of the turrets. They are extremely wobbly underneath the caps, and the cover with the markings for which way to turn came off under recoil.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2014 at 21:29
How significant is the difference between the SII and SII Big Sky?  From the literature, the coatings are different and the Big Sky always gets good reviews.  Debating between a couple listed on the Sample List.
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2014 at 21:33
Send it back to Sightron and have the turrets fixed. That isn't normal from my experience with the Big Sky. They will fix it free of charge under their warranty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic