OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS fixed or other for close/long range .22lr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS fixed or other for close/long range .22lr
    Posted: June/15/2014 at 21:44
Haven't been on the forums in a good while.  It's scary feeling how lost I feel now when I felt like I knew it all a couple years ago!  Anyways, I don't have as much time these days to heavily research things and I'm in the market for a mil/mil scope for my 10/22 to replace my Nitrex TR2 3-15X42.  I absolutely love that scope, but I've got an SS 5-20X50IR on my 6mm and now I want all my scopes mil/mil.  I do a lot of 150-250yd shooting with the 10/22 and would prefer higher magnification but the only scope in my current price range fitting the mil/mil specs I can find are the SS line.  I love side focus and the 10X42SF is my current pick, but I want more top end mag for the far stuff...   but I do a lot of 20-50yd shooting as well.  I can't spend more than $500 and would like to keep it $400 or less.  Are there any good variable mil/mil scopes out now that I haven't stumbled upon or is the fixed SS my best bet?  I prefer 4-6x for the 25yd stuff and 8-12 for the 50-75yd stuff but I've used fixed 10 and 16x scopes for 25 and beyond.  Just a bit of a pain.  Wow, I need to stop now.  SS 10/12X or are there any better options?  I constantly adjust my turrets and need 100% repeat ability.  
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2014 at 20:25
For the .22lr You might want to try a lower power scope. I have found that less magnification reduces over compensating for wobble. You will probably be more consistent with a 6X than a 10X or higher magnification. It will definitely improve your form.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2014 at 20:42
I concur. I'd think strongly on the 6x.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Michael Riley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2014 at 21:45
6X is one of my favorite magnifications for close/medium range, but my main focus is long range (long for the .22lr) and I generally shoot at 2-3 inch targets at ~150yds and 5-8 inch targets at 200+.  I would rather deal with the cons of shooting high mag at close range than low mag at long range.  I guess I already know what my best option based off of my experiences would be which is the 10X SS.  I was just hoping that maybe over the past year or two that I've been out of things, that there were some good variable power options fitting my needs for less than $500.  But it looks like the SS line is still the top choice in that catagory.  I'm not surprised.  Once I can sell my Nitrex, I'm going to get the SS 10X side focus and if it doesn't work out, I'm sure I can get 75-80% of what I paid if I choose to sell it. 

Thanks for the input!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2014 at 07:36
All the best! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic