OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long Range Optic - .223 shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Range Optic - .223 shooting
    Posted: June/15/2014 at 14:00
So I am taking the plunge and going to start doing some long range tactical shooting with my AR with a local club. It is a bushmaster predator 20" 1/8 twist. I plan on shooting 75 hornady bthp or 70 berger vld's depending on what I can get to shoot best. These shoots go out to 900 yards (which is really going to test the rifle/ammo capabilities) so I need to equip my rifle the best I can.

Maybe by winter I will be able to afford a top notch optic (S&B, NF, Ect) but for now I need something to learn on and hone my skills. How much scope do I need out to 900 with the 223? I was thinking a 10x SS, to start? Any other suggestions?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2014 at 15:22
Many, many shooters have used the 10x SS out to 1000 yards and beyond, successfully. I think the 10x SS would a great place to start. And maybe to "finish". Wink

If you plan on upgrading later, you can probably regain near 90% of the retail price to apply to your new scope. I would also consider the 12x SS as well. Much more magnification than the 12x and your fighting even more mirage. 

Are you shooting steel targets or what at those ranges?   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2014 at 15:29
Steel and paper targets, its my understading that the 6-900 yard shoots are all at steel.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2014 at 15:35
If shooting movers, or on the move, I'd humbly recommend the 10x SS. 

I own the 10x and previously the 12x SS. I haven't shot the distances you mention with either, nor in the "tactical" environment admittedly. But I love the 10x.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2014 at 17:04
I am all about instant gratification so usually if I can buy something locally instead of ordering I will do it....So just got back from a local retailer. I picked up a Vortex Viper HST 4-16X44 with MRAD MIL/MIL reticle. They had these on a fathers day sale for $399. Sure hope this works out, excited to get it mounted and see how she does.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2014 at 18:13

When I was competing I used a Vortex 6.5 -20 X 44mm mil/moa and had no issues winning matches at distance.

Very clear scopes, and most importantly, very repeatable.

Good Luck!

Bender1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2014 at 10:25
SWFA > Vortex. Period.

I like Vortex, but dollar for dollar you CAN NOT beat SWFA. I own a 10x on a .223 Bolt SPS 700, and I shoot steel to 800 with it. I run out of balsitics before I ran out of scope. My next scope will be the SWFA 3-15 for my AAC-SD .308. the SWFA line is way more robust than Vortex. 

Something Witty.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic