OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

red dot on bolt action rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: red dot on bolt action rifle
    Posted: June/13/2014 at 06:35
I just bought a Ruger American in .22 LR.  My original intention was to put a pretty big scope on this gun.  Like a 3-12x40.  On a whim, I ordered a tube style red dot sight instead.  This will limit my shooting range, but it is only a .22 after all.
Let's say the target is a one gallon jug of water.  From the reviews I've read, sounds like the Ruger American is pretty accurate right out of the box.  Just wondering what you all think are the practical limits (in terms of range) of both the .22 LR and a red dot sight?  Where would a good shooter with a good gun and a good red dot sight start to have trouble hitting the jug?  75 yards?  100 yards? 150 yeards?
Yes, I'm going to find out for myself, first hand, but I'd like to get your take on it before the sight gets here and I have a chance to shoot the gun at longer distances.  Getting harder and harder to find places to shoot for free. 
Randy
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2014 at 09:01
The dot takes up some area of the target (a 3 MOA dot at 100 yards covers an area 3 inches in diameter on the target) which leads to a less precise shot due to less precise aiming point.  That said, I routinely hit 10" steel at 300 yards with an AR15.

On a 22, the milk jug at 100 yards should be no problem - making many assumptions.

Practice basic marksmanship, and a 22 is the best way to do that.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2014 at 09:05
I'm a fan of red dots, Aimpoint mostly, but I prefer a good set of iron sights for my CZ 452 Trainer. 
I went with a thin bladed Tech Sight and love it. 

http://www.tech-sights.com/index3.htm
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic