OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako 85 & Pickatinny rail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote officework13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sako 85 & Pickatinny rail
    Posted: June/10/2014 at 16:01
i am trying to use 1 scope (5-25*50) (30mm tube) for 2 rifles (sako 85 long action and savage model 12 short action)
i do realize that the POI will be different and i will have to adjust, but that is ok by me.  i just don't want to have to remove the rings from one to the next or to adjust for eye relief.
i will likely only be switching or taking it off 2-3x per year - so quick release would be preferred, but a style with a nut could be tolerated.

to retain accuracy when doing this i am pretty much limited to using a pickatinny rail.   having a 11 piece rail is ok as i do not do any top loading.  Getting a pickatinny rail for the savage seems to be fairly easy.  However, getting the SAKO mount is proving to be more challenging.
As well, i would like them to be as low as possible.

i have searched long enough to know this is not an easy find.  
i would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of a good pickatinny mounting system for what i am trying to do.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 16:37
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

It appears as though IOR makes a 2 piece Picatinny rail system for the Sako 85. Would this work? 

http://swfa.com/IOR-Heavy-Duty-Picatinny-2-Piece-Base-P64286.aspx

(I apologize as I'm unable to hot link these days.) 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
officework13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote officework13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 16:53
yes, i saw that one already.
while that may work, what i am concerned with in a 2 piece design is that with the SAKO mount system the slots between the back mount and the front mount may not retain the true pickatinny spacing specs, which would result in not being able to detach the scope from the sako and mount onto the savage.

I also came across Recknagel which makes them, but a bit on the pricey side ($137+ship).
also Near mfg makes them but also pricey $175
both also make rings and they are about the same price.
getting up there in price i am looking at being better off getting 2 permanent mounted scopes, even though the scope is a $1100

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 17:08
OK. 
I knew Near made one, but I wasn't sure the one they offered worked with an 85. I thought they were for TRG's. 

I'm a scope swapper too and if your going to go this route, I'd get a Picatinny rail, fo sho. If Near Mfg. makes one that fits your rifle, I'd go that direction and not look back. Near is world renowned for making quality gear.  
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2014 at 12:11

Welcome to OT.  you might give kenfarrell a try

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2014 at 12:30
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

Welcome to OT.  you might give kenfarrell a try

I forgot about them. Good call. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2014 at 16:15
Richard Near had one for me to use on a Ruger 1B so I'll wager he has a Sako version.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2014 at 16:25
Originally posted by officework13 officework13 wrote:

yes, i saw that one already.
while that may work, what i am concerned with in a 2 piece design is that with the SAKO mount system the slots between the back mount and the front mount may not retain the true pickatinny spacing specs, which would result in not being able to detach the scope from the sako and mount onto the savage.

I also came across Recknagel which makes them, but a bit on the pricey side ($137+ship).
also Near mfg makes them but also pricey $175
both also make rings and they are about the same price.
getting up there in price i am looking at being better off getting 2 permanent mounted scopes, even though the scope is a $1100

And a whole lot less screwing around!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
officework13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote officework13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2014 at 16:48
I contacted Richard Near and he informed me that he can provide a rail for a Sako 85 (bavarian 7mm Rem Mag). i do see from a few comments that his product is well renowned.  A little pricey in comparison to other rails, but not many available.
for those looking at this post in the future his website is http://www.nearmfg.com/
where as the Ken Fallell is http://www.kenfarrell.com/index.html  but not sure if his work with the Sako 85.

Richard can also make the one for the savage model 12, but i think i may cheap out for this one.  this project is starting to cost more all the time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2014 at 17:49
Let us know how you make out. I can post pictures for you, if you'd like. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic