OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your suggestions under $1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your suggestions under $1000
    Posted: June/08/2014 at 20:32
Good evening from San Antonio, TX,

I have been lurking for a while, and now I have a proper question to post. I have found some relevant information in older threads but it is outdated and I thought I would bug you'all.

What would be your suggestion for a scope with the following characteristics?
1. Price under $1000
2. Fixed magnification from 15 to 25x or FFP variable
3. Rear parallax
4. Reticle Mil-dot or derivatives
5. Good eye relief
6. Good after sales support

The intended use is on a .308 for the following conditions

Good lighting conditions, day use
Prone 20% Bench 80%
50% shots to 300yd, 30% to 500 yd, 20% to 750 yd max.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Randall
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2014 at 22:48
Randall,

If you peruse the various tactical scopes for sale by SWFA made by such companies as IOR, Bushnell, Leupold, Sightron and Vortex (there are more) you can find any number of scopes that are either a little less than $1K and some a little more than $1K.  At that price point there are some fine scopes that would fill your needs nicely.  To get any appreciably "better" scope you'll have to jump to $2K.

What did you mean by rear parallax?  A parallax knob on the turret housing?
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 08:50
I would be looking at a SS HD10x. 10x is plenty to reach 750yds and I know of a number of people who use 10x to 1000yds.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50717.aspx
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 08:55
I am with Sparky. The 10x SSHD fits the bill nicely!
-Matt
Randall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by Magnumdood...<span style=line-height: 1.4;>What did you mean by rear parallax?  A parallax knob on the turret housing?</span><br>[/QUOTE Magnumdood...What did you mean by rear parallax?  A parallax knob on the turret housing?
[/QUOTE wrote:

Yes, exactly

Yes, exactly
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 09:44
Do NOT get a high magnification, fixed power scope for shooting in San Antonio!  I live in Houston, spend much time in San Antonio, and mirage will make a 16X or 20X scope mostly useless for big chunks of the year.

I too would agree with the 10X HD, or even the non HD and spend the rest on ammo.

Why fixed magnification?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Randall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2014 at 09:50
Thanks to all for the replies.

The fixed mag because I find myself not using the variable even when it is available, albeit shooting shorter distances than what I want to try now. And I thought by buying fixed mag I could get a better scope for the money.

I am leaning towards the SWFA 10 or 12x42 so far, possibly the cheaper version because I will shoot during daytime...will probably drop the hammer soon after I get paid this month.

Thanks again everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic