OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Prostaff 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prostaff 5
    Posted: June/05/2014 at 05:38

Nikon is running a sale on many of their prostaff 5 scopes. I have thought of picking up a 2.5-10x40 Nikoplex for a cheap carry hunting rifle, because its $200 right now with promo.

I have the prostaff 5 replaced the buckmaster as Nikon's mid line, is this true?

Decent deal for $200 or better off to spend $300 and move up to something like a vx-2?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I have the prostaff 5 replaced the buckmaster as Nikon's mid line, is this true?

I didn't know this, but it may be true. Buckmaster isn't even on the rifle scope page any more. Wow... 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 19:49
They also don't show any old model prostaff scopes, so I don't know if this new line is supposed to be budget grade or mid line.  I didn't find much feedback on the prostaff 5, was really only curious because of the promo. I think I'll most likely just pick up something I'm more familiar with. The last few Nikons I've had underwhelmed, and have since been sold.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 22:22
The Nikon scopes Ive had in the last few years were useable and reliable but I have upgraded them. Nikon is certainly capable of making a superb product but at a value price that becomes challenging for any company.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 22:24
Pretty nice for what it cost - a savings of $60. :
Nikon 2.5-10x40 ProStaff 5 Riflescope Nikon 2.5-10x40 ProStaff 5 Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6736
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Generous, Consistent Eye Relief
  • Fully Multicoated Optical System
  • Hand-turn 1/4 MOA Adjustments
  • Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
  • Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
  • Quick Focus Eyepiece
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$219.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS" value="IP+romstsbr0omTMtyOsyjq+7u3pSwv75cjiEndfoQt/hKY3j3+lQ4qFhjXRAzXS" ="">

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 23:06
I have been playing with the Prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 for a bit and it is very good for the money. Considering the cost, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

ILya
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2014 at 09:42
Ilya,

From your experience, how does it compare to a vortex diamondback?

I'm looking to get the 4-12x40 AO Diamondback or the 3.5-14x40 SF Prostaff 5.

Thanks!
Mike Robinson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 15:52
Apparently Nikons quality has decreased if their warranty is any indication.

The new warranty on Nikon scopes has been changed for this year from prior years. One major value of the Nikon scopes was its lifetime warranty to the original owner, and any subsequent owners. That is no longer the case. The older warranty stated "If this product is found to have defects in material or workmanship, Nikon Inc will at its option and without charge, either repair or replace this product, even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required to obtain warranty service". The new warranty card states "This Nikon product is warranted by Nikon Inc. to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product from the date of purchase by the original consumer purchaser. --- This warranty extends to the original consumer purchaser only and is not assignable or transferable.--- You must present this warranty form together with proof of purchase that includes date (Bill of Sale) to obtain warranty service". Save your proof of purchase, and don't buy used Nikon scopes with the idea that they have a lifetime warranty!
Mike Robinson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2014 at 16:21
Nikon warranty dept has not had a good run, at least in years past. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic