OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

375 H&H Scope Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 08:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If I were selecting a scope for a 375H&H, I would be looking at something along the lines of 1-4x24, 1-5x24 or 1-6x24.

I am testing a Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 right now and I think it would be perfect for such a rifle.  6x is enough to reach pretty far out, while that bright illuminated dot at 1x is spectacularly fast.

There are other options of course, depending on your price range, but for $1500 I would be looking at either the Meopta R2 1-6x24 or the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24.

Next step down would be the Leupold VX-6 1-6x24.

If you are primarily interested in low light, I would go with the Meopta Meostar R1 1.5-6x42 and not look back.

ILya

What are your thoughts on the tracking/adjustments on that R2?  Glass as compared to Diaviari's, Z6, S&B?  I'm very interested, as there will be a couple more additions to the R2 lineup a little later this year that really appeal to me. 
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 08:28

There are no 4-12x scopes in the Meostar line-up. Are you sure those are not Meopro?

Make that Meostar R1 4-16X44

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 09:10
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Before firing all pieces in the firearm system are at rest. When fired the gun recoils back thus "wanting" to leave the scope behind. A heavier scope is both harder to keep in place in the rings and harder on the bases. In other words, because the scope is heavier, it takes more force to move it in the same direction as recoil.

Correct.

IOW... inertia.

Scopes with greater mass means the scope rings have to arrest greater inertia.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 09:18

If I were selecting a scope for a 375H&H, I would be looking at something along the lines of 1-4x24, 1-5x24 or 1-6x24.

Me too.

If you are primarily interested in low light, I would go with the Meopta Meostar R1 1.5-6x42 and not look back.

I second the notion of a good 1.5-6X42 as a "low light" alternative to the 24mm objective scopes, and I'm sure the Meostar is a good one. I've not used the Meostar in the field, but I do have 1.5-6X42s from Zeiss and S&B, and won't ever part with them.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 11:36
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I am testing a Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 right now and I think it would be perfect for such a rifle.  6x is enough to reach pretty far out, while that bright illuminated dot at 1x is spectacularly fast.

There are other options of course, depending on your price range, but for $1500 I would be looking at either the Meopta R2 1-6x24 or the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24.

Next step down would be the Leupold VX-6 1-6x24.

ILya

What are your thoughts on the tracking/adjustments on that R2?  Glass as compared to Diaviari's, Z6, S&B?  I'm very interested, as there will be a couple more additions to the R2 lineup a little later this year that really appeal to me. 

I'll publish my impressions when I am done with the testing.

So far, I think Meopta will do very well with this design.

ILya

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 13:15
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

There are no 4-12x scopes in the Meostar line-up. Are you sure those are not Meopro?

Make that Meostar R1 4-16X44

You would think I would know what I have.  It is a Meostart R1 4-12x40 with a number 4 reticle and the other is the plex reticle.

Current product is the 4-16x, but they did have a 4-12 (although not sure how long ago).

http://www.meoptahistory.com/index.php?id=240&removefromcompare=240

Might explain why the price was such a bargain, but no complaints.

Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 14:57

Have you got a sense of how you'll actually use the .375 H&H?  I agree with a lot of the posts, that if you are setting it up as the classic "dangerous game" rifle, something along the 1-4 or 1.5-6  variable mag is a good choice.  If dangerous game isn't likely on the menu though (and realistically it's not for a lot of us) and the rifle is to be used as more of a general purpose hunting rifle than a specialized purpose, I tend to agree more with your interest in the 3-12 and 4-16 range scopes.  My .375 H&H is my "go to" hunting rifle -- chosen more for the environment I hunt in (heavy brush and timber) than the particular game I'm chasing, so in 90% of my hunting it's overkill for the game animal (typically deer, elk, and moose).  My .375 currently wears a 3-9, and in all my hunts with this rifle, I've never wished for a magnification lower than 3.  Conversely, even though I've never shot anything with this rifle over 75 yds, I HAVE had a number of times when I wished I had a higher magnification for looking at an animal and trying to distinguish antlers from brush, looking at him at the edge of a timber patch across a field, etc... in order to determine if he's a "shooter" buck or bull or not.  If I were more of a "meat hunter" I wouldn't be as picky, but I tend to be more of a "trophy hunter" and like the ability to study the animal a bit if the opportunity allows, hence the desire for higher magnifications.  Fortunately, the current trend towards 5x + erector assemblies is opening up a lot of scope options these days, allowing a relatively low mag on the bottom and a relatively high mag range on top.  I don't know if your application for your H&H is anything close to mine, but if it is and FWIW, here are my preferences and thoughts when it comes to scoping my .375 "brush" gun:

• mag range approximating 3-15 -- I'll carry the rifle with the scope on 3 and shoot with it that way for "fast" shots, but greatly value the ability to turn up to a higher mag when needed to study and discern what I'm seeing.   

• relatively compact and light -- I don't like large objectives and tall turrets to snag on things in the timber, and the lighter the scope the better with heavy recoil rifles.

• good glass -- a good mix of light transmission, contrast, and resolution qualities is a big plus for me in dark timber at daybreak and dusk.

• hydrophobic coatings -- hunting season for me is a high precip time, so mist and water on the lens surfaces are a problem.  Walking thru the brush compounds this.  (Any more, I'll tend to buy a scope with a less desirable mag range than give up hydrophobic coating.  That's the main reason I didn't buy a Meopta R1, and am excited to see the R2 line come out.) 

• Long eye relief -- I've had enough black eyes in my lifetime, and don't feel the need to self-inflict one for a hasty shot with the .375.

For the above reasons, I'm planning on re-scoping my .375 in the next year or so.  I'm playing a bit of a wait and see game on Meopta until the entire R2 line is out, but suspect I'll be moving my Leica 3.5-14x42 over to the .375, as it fits my needs on this rifle very, very well (and then getting something a bit different for my longer range, open country hunting rifle).  If I get the opportunity to take my .375 on a dangerous game hunt (Alaskan brown bear is on my bucket list) then I'll re-evaluate the scope at that time.

Good luck shopping -- there's a lot of cool stuff out there in the rifle scope world these days, and more coming down the pike.

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 16:02

It will primarily be a take to the range and shoot every once in awhile rifle.  Plus would double as an elk rifle.  The reason for picking up this rifle is more nostalgic than practical need, but with the lighter bullets, works well for a mule deer or elk hunt.

For the latter, I'm using 235gr Barnes TTSX bullets with shots inside of 300 yards, which was why I was leaning more towards the 2.5-10x range of scopes.

I don't envision it filling the role as a DGR, but as you pointed out, if it does, the optics will change.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2014 at 20:43
I've had a couple of 375 H&H rifles one a browning the other a single shot encore which is very light weight.  I love the caliber to really enjoy it one should reload.  As for scopes for a hunting rifle I believe this makes a lot of sense. I believe that fixed power scopes which have less moving parts tend to be strong reliable optics. With a fixed 6x you will never be on too high of a power to hand hold taking a shot at a game animal.  The dots below center will work well to estimate hold over for a zero of 200  and anything closer and with a little effort on the range you can determine how your selected ammo corresponds to the dots below center for 300 yds 400 yds etc.  This is a very bright scope with a 7mm exit eye pupil which is as good as it gets. I think this would serve you well I can get onto something pretty darn close with a 6x and still make predictable longer range shots using this simple reticle.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
  • Eye Relief (in):4.43
$449.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2014 at 08:06

I'll have to rethink the use of a fixed power scope.  I've used a 4x on a Remington Speedmaster for general plinking/squirrel hunting plus a SWFA 16x on a trainer at known ranges.

My hunting rifles typically has their variables set at their lowest setting but use the higher magnification as well to judge the animal (doe vs buck) or when a longer more deliberate shot presents itself.

Not sure how much practical impact using a fixed power scope would have vs a variable.  Probably more of a paradigm shift for me since that is what I've "always used" on my hunting rifles.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2014 at 10:31
I have a new unmounted Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5X38 Z plex I bought a few years ago for a 9.3X62. That rifle has a Leupold FX3 6x42 on it that I can't bring myself to change the scope on. I MIGHT think about parting with it if your interested. Send me a PM.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2014 at 15:49
Thanks.  But I have a spare SWFA 6X scope that I'm going to give a run at.  Doubt it will stay on there permanently, but it will give me an idea how I like using a fixed power scope. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2014 at 20:34
Hope the 6x is the mil dot rather than the mil quad (I have both)  because on the 6x the lines are really really fine on the mil quad.  On the 16x SS the mil quad is the cats ass,  its perfect.  I had a Heavy Duplex FX3 6x42 that I  upgraded to a variable and I regret giving up the Leupold 6x.  I was surprised how accurate I could be at 200 to 300 yds with the heavy duplex and it was great in low light. I just think if your getting out further than 300 you want the hold over marks of the long range duplex but with a 200 yd zero -- shots at 300 can be made pretty predictably. 
If you think 6x is too much there is a 4x that I have been wanting for a long time :
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$495.00 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2014 at 22:18
It is the mil-quad, but plan isn't to put the SWFA on the rifle permanently.  More to see if I can get my head around using a fixed power scope,  Shouldn't be an issue since I will limit shots on game inside of 300 yards.
Dirtyoldsix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtyoldsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 06:07
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

2-12x42 VX6.  Very tough, excellent glass, and adjustments have been perfect IME.  Most user friendly variable made.

+100! Thats the scope for a 375. Everybody in SA starts off with the Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 on their 375's and then they want shoot Oryx and Kudu at 300 yds and find that the 5x is not enough. the 1.5-5x20 usually gets replaced by a a scope with 10x or higher magnification.
If you can see it you can hit it.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 09:00
Good to know.  Replace Oryx or Kudu with elk or mule deer and that describes the purpose of this rifle.
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 12:46
Well, like I say I've shot small forked horn Sitka Black tail at 500+ yards with a fixed 3×20 Leupold. It worked fine. BUT AND HERES THE BIG ISSUE!!!
For me when I lived in Southeast. The 338 Win mag and 375 H+H were medium bore rifles for me. Read Deer rifles that would probably keep me from getting mauled if a brown bear tried to take the deer I was packing off my back.
. I never used them as primary brown bear rifles. Heck, I've killed over 30 more like 40 deer with various 416 s and 458 s.
Eye relief is #1 . Toughness is #2 Light gathering is #3 .
4" of eye relief is what u need.
The Warne rings hold a scope on a 550 reciever good. The 375 is pretty.mellow in a 550 . My 416 Rem mag full custom and my 458 Lott factory had a lot more rear back. Especially the Lott. It also threw in about 25° of barrel torque shooting 500 gr loads. The 350 gr bullets at 2700 fps and 400 gr bullets at 2600 fps were good workoutsfor the scope and rings.
Guys used to put expensive European Scopes on their guide rifles and all that I know of broke down. We tendto work our brown bear battle rifles harder than a Marine in Falugah does his M4 .
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 13:18
Appreciate the recommendations on eye relief and rings.  I've used the Warne before and like them for these types of mounts.

Eye relief is what I was looking for.  Helps cull the scopes I'm considering.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by  Cold Trigger Finger  Cold Trigger Finger wrote:

We tend to work our brown bear battle rifles harder than a Marine in Falugah does his M4 .

Sounds like something Gwyneth Paltrow would say.

Edited by tahqua - June/09/2014 at 19:59
Doug
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 15:33
Roll on Floor Laughing
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic