OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody here a car audio expert??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody here a car audio expert??
    Posted: May/22/2014 at 12:45
I'm having a time with my after market Sirius radio. It's been perfect for 3 years, but recently has decided that I only get HALF of my channels I normally received. 
I changed the battery in my truck recently and that's when the trouble started. 

1) I have refreshed the signal MANY times. I even had Sirius do some sort of "master rest" and still I only get about half the channels I had before it flaked out. 

2) Unhooked battery from truck. I did this hoping it would help, but nothing. 

I really don't have the funds to buy another receiver right now and I'm not 100% certain it's gone bad any way. Sirius say's it's something on my end, but I'll be danged if I know what to try next. 

Thanks.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 12:48
How many channels did you get before?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

How many channels did you get before?

I'm not sure HOW many, but I had the full compliment. 150 or so?? 

I'm missing, or can't access several channels that I had before, Lynn. 70's on 7, Classic Rewind and Patriot channel, to name a few.  
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 12:57
Now I feel real bad. I have Sirius in my Mustang and I bet I don't have 20 channels.Furious
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 14:08

Now I feel real bad. I have Sirius in my Mustang and I bet I don't have 20 channels.Furious

BF is now sitting behind the wheel of his Stang pounding on the steering wheel......

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 14:56
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

BF is now sitting behind the wheel of his Stang pounding on the steering wheel......

Too much hair for meCool
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 15:11

I would call Sirus and ask for a channel line up of your account.  Then if you still don't get the channels that your suppose to tell them you aren't paying anymore for service you dont' get.  They will make it a priority to get you fixed. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 15:20
On horn now....
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 16:49
If your getting some channels I would think you should get all of them. The only ones blocked should be the XM channels that you have to pay extra for.

Did you try Sirus on-line to see if the channels your not getting on your radio work on-line?

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 19:04
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

If your getting some channels I would think you should get all of them. The only ones blocked should be the XM channels that you have to pay extra for.

Did you try Sirus on-line to see if the channels your not getting on your radio work on-line?

Thanks, Mike. I counted and I have exactly 82 channels and should have 180. That's before they upgrade me. 

Sirius gave me the Total Access package for free....got the new channels, but still can't get some of the "old ones". 
It's a crazy deal, I'll tell ya. Loco
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 22:31
If you can take the antenna wire off and see the connections. Try taking a paperclip or something while the antenna is unhooked and the vehicle is off and shorting it across each other. 

For mobile electronics sometimes not unhooking them on a battery charge or change can give a little voltage spike. Kind of like a change of service for cable TV when you unhook the coax you can short it and it will clear the voltage and return to normal. 

I am not sure as I dont have SIRUS but if you can get to both the ground and the feed, it might be worth a try.

The other would be to check you wires and make sure there is no bare wire showing or any cut even in the rubber. If there is and it is a shielded cable (having aluminum around wires under the rubber) then take a piece of foil or gum wrapper and wrap around it and tape it up. That will re-shield the cable. After the battery change you could be getting interference that prior to the change was not strong enough to interfere with a weak battery. 

Last thing I can think would be the antenna is not picking up select frequencies anymore not sure what channels are missing and if there in the same block of frequencies or if it is sporadic in the channels you are missing and there frequencies. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by TRP_Operator TRP_Operator wrote:

Last thing I can think would be the antenna is not picking up select frequencies anymore not sure what channels are missing and if there in the same block of frequencies or if it is sporadic in the channels you are missing and there frequencies. 

Thanks. I believe your on to something here. I have a whole slew of new channels now since they upgraded me to All Access. I still don't have some of my old ones, however. Very strange situation. I'll probably just get a new tuner and see what it does. 

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 16:16
You can pull the ole' Walmart trick.  Get one just like your old one from them, if it don't change carry it back, if it does change put the old one in the new packaging and carry it back.....Wink
Just kidding thats dishonest. Bucky
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 16:25
Big Grin
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 16:47
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

You can pull the ole' Walmart trick.  Get one just like your old one from them, if it don't change carry it back, if it does change put the old one in the new packaging and carry it back.....Wink

Really??? Stare
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 18:41
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Visit the Ed Show
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2014 at 00:23
Crutchfield's in Charlottesville, Virginia is a great source of electronic gear including car radios which they install.  We buy our electronics from them (long-distance), and have had great results.

You might want to check with them, get their recommendations, and get on their mailing list. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2014 at 07:11
Thanks, LH. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic