OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scope Base for this setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Scope Base for this setup
    Posted: June/24/2006 at 08:55

I'm putting together a Savage FP10 LE2B in .308

As a starter I am going to use my Super Sniper SS10X42M scope with these rings

A.R.M.S.® Item #22 All Steel 30mm Ring, secured with A.R.M.S.® dovetail system to an extruded aluminum platform. Build in no mar Patented Buffer Pads. Available in Low, Medium, and High heights.

What bases do you guys recommend?  I'm looking at the Ken Farrell and the Badger Ordinance ... big difference in price.  Why would one be better than the other?  Please explain your reasoning (ie: saying Badger is "the best" doesn't hack it)

I "may" end up changing to a variable on this rifle (or maybe even another SS) at a later date which would mean the possibility of different rings  ....  so please consider that in your advice.

Thanks ....

Edited by macky
The World is a Toy Store ...
And I aims to Play
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2006 at 15:06

Badger Ordnance:

Machined from steel barstock as serialized matched pairs. Both rings are identical which eliminates the damaging effects of mismatched mass produced rings. Designed by Badger them self, and made to there specifications including Torx screws. The Max-50 is made with the same specs but are 1" wider, and have a  60% more holding power which help with a recoil of a .50 bmg.

The Alloy rings are made of Aircraft grade Aluminium alloy and Mil Spec. Same patter as the steel, but they are almost 50% lighter then steel, and strong enough for any job..

Ken Farrell Inc:

All machined from solid stock, rings are also matched set inspected to be within half of a standard tollerances. Heat-treated screws with a 45 degree angle to help prevent accidental movement of scope mount. Mounts are completely CNC machined, not cast, extruded or formed.

Aluminum rings are made from a special high grade aluminum with over 70,000 P.S.I. a rating similar to many steels.

Like any other mount you will never know until you use it yourself how good it works for you and your rifle. I know that some people choose the Badger over the Ken Farrell, and visa-versa and the same with scopes and rifles. It may not be the same for one person as it is for the other..Some may not be able to afford the Badger Ordnance so they go with Ken Farrell.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic