OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Digital Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital Rifle Scope
    Posted: June/24/2006 at 08:37

http://www.elcansportingoptics.com/

It's a new one on me but I thought I'd share this with you.  How about it Chris do you have any info on these.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 10:17

Notice they did not show any rainy day pictures

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 11:22

There's lots of electronics that can be used in rainy weather, just got to seal everything up real good .... digital fish finders are virtually "waterproof"  .... the concept is good, wonder if they can pull it off.

With the right resolution the flexibility would be endless

The World is a Toy Store ...
And I aims to Play
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 11:29
IN the specs sheet, it says it is rainproof. Would like to see some real world testing though.... It also says the exit pupil stays the same dia.(12mm) throughout the magnification range of 2.5' to 16.5'

Edited by Charlie70
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 12:34

Complete waste of money for the average hunter.

ranburr

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 12:42
Who's talking about the average hunter ..... THIS IS TOYS MAN .... get with the program

Edited by macky
The World is a Toy Store ...
And I aims to Play
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 13:30

Where is the Solar charger?

WWW.formitch.com

SCOOP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2006 at 19:23
thats fantastic for t.v. hunters.
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2006 at 00:01
    I would trust it if it was made by zeiss...
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2006 at 17:44

Originally posted by Charlie70 Charlie70 wrote:

It... says the exit pupil stays the same dia.(12mm) throughout the magnification range of 2.5' to 16.5'

How is that possible?

It would seem to contradict the most basic elements of the very definition of the exit pupil.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2006 at 19:32
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

It... says the exit pupil stays the same dia.(12mm) throughout the magnification range of 2.5' to 16.5'

How is that possible?

It would seem to contradict the most basic elements of the very definition of the exit pupil.

It's digital...  The magification comes from digitaly magifying things not opticaly.  If you have a zoom button on your tv, it does the same thing. This thing is like a camcorder.

WWW.formitch.com

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2006 at 20:44
Anthony, that trust is going to set you back $4000+. Bushnell and Burris make similar units to the Elcan for 800ish. None of them have a place on one of my rifles.
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2006 at 23:45

Roy Finn,

I believe the Bushnell and Burris you are referring to are laser rangefinding scopes only. I thought they were the same too because they look the same in appearance, but they aren't digital. Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong....

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2006 at 15:11
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

How is that possible?

It's digital...  The magification comes from digitaly magifying things not opticaly.  If you have a zoom button on your tv, it does the same thing. This thing is like a camcorder.

Unless riflescope manufacturers have some knowledge base that is unknown to digital camera manufacturers (unlikely as they are often the same companies making both products,) I would not trust anything that used a digital zoom.  In cameras, such zooms are all total crap.  They don't magnify the image at all.  They just make the pixels bigger - which quickly destroys image quality.  So, when evaluating the zoom range of a digital camera, you should ignore any kind of digital zoom and focus exclusively on the optical zoom capacity.  I'm sure technology will eventually advance to where digital zooms have legitimate value but, that time is not now.

Do you really have a zoom button on your TV?  I've never seen such a thing.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic