OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Just ordered my first SWFA SS scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just ordered my first SWFA SS scope
    Posted: May/08/2014 at 15:16
Well after MUCH deliberation I ordered a 6×42 Mil Dot Super Sniper. With Leupold high rings for.my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger M77 mk2. And a mil dot master. As I'll be hunting with.it and I was nervous about being able to see the mil quad reticle in low light I went will the md. I also ordered 2 different stocks for it a Boyd's Tacticool laminate and a Richards MicroFit , Tackdriver stock . One or the other should be able to fit me and doo what I need it to for that rifle. .
SWFA didn't have Warne rings instock so I went with the Leupold. So now all I need is a good 9-13" bipod and a new trigger and I'll have this rifle set up.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2014 at 15:30
Congratulations! You would have had no problem with the Mil-Quad in low light, I have hunted with the SS 3-9 and never had a problem in thick brush, even at dusk. 
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2014 at 21:30
Nice choice . I have to say though the mil quad reticle is the finest I believe I have ever seen and I don't worry about low light situations with swfa their light gathering capabilities are phenomenal for legal hunting hours haha. I had pondered on the straight 6 myself but the 3-9 was just too good to pass on.
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 16:39
Well. I thot, am sure I told the guy at SWFA 6×42 mil dot. However, he must have typed in 10×42 mil dot because that is what arrived. Oh well. I mounted it on my rifle after I bedded the new stock. Boyd's Tacticool laminate. It is an awesome scope. And no doubt will work better for long range work. . Now I'm working on my range estimation and the equation is not matching up with the mil dot master.   . I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
You are being watched.
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 19:45
First make sure you are using the right formula for your range estimation. For yards (which is what I use) its (size in inches) x 27.77 ÷ mils. However many mils the acquired target reads. I personally never used a mil dot master. I use a program (highly recommended, best $5 I ever spent) on my phone called strelok+ and as long as you give it the right information it will work every time. It also has a wonderful feature of showing you the virtual target through your reticle setting which I use often at work and at home to test my skills without actually being at the range. Its a lot of fun. Have some type in the yardage to the target then cover the phone where it shows the range, read the mils, do your formula and see how close you get :)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 21:11
OK. I didn't see the ÷ by mils in the equation above. I havean app on my phone. But phones have a habit of doing bad things in the cold and batteries tend to die.
I'll get with the ÷ by mils and see how I do.
I guess my reticle is on mils but the adjustments are. 25 moa
Thank you. !
You are being watched.
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 00:14
The biggest part is knowing the size of your target and then becoming a master at reading mils. No amount of math will make up for incorrect reading of the mils which is why I love the mil-quad. Many different subtensions available to get the best possible read. Just a quick equation for ya. 20" x 27.77 ÷ 1.25 = 444 yards. great right? Now the same equation 20x27.77÷1.5=370 yards. So looking at the same target at the same distance but being one quarter of a mil off your reading will likely result in a miss. Mildots can be very effective though just practice practice practice.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 14:07
Yes. !!!! The way you wrote it is understandable!!!!! Thank you.
The only reason I went with the mil dot was for the 6× for hunting in low light where I would be at close enough range that I wouldn't be doing any range/ fireing solution work. But they sent the 10× and its mounted so that's what I have to work with for now. I will be going to the mil quad as soon as I get back to work and have $$$ commingle in. This is the reason I hate mail order. But living in the middle of no where its a necessity.
You are being watched.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 14:33
But, its all very good. I need to start a log book of sizes of stuff. Like Fox+coyote+wolf+caribou+moose. Ect.
I can look at most of the trees up here and know their DBH just by looking at them. Lots of experience with trees in Alaska. Which is a big reason I needed the formula as the mdm doesn't go below 1 mil.
As I'm just embarking on this long range stuff I have thousands of hours work ahead of me getting real good at it. . But at least now I have a platform to work from. Rifle and scope that should be competent. A mdm, an app on my phone and the formula.
There's a lot more to this long range stuff than I knew at the outset of this project.
You are being watched.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 18:11
A pounding pulse sure makes reading the reticle a challenge. Boy howdy ! I found it was easiest toput 1 of the large black cross hair bases. ( correct name??) On one side or the top or bottom of an object then read the mils from there instead of trying to use 2 different dots. Next time out I will try the center cross hair. But the thick black basewas easy to distinguish from the target.
You are being watched.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic