OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

March...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potenza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March...
    Posted: May/05/2014 at 16:52
I've read on other forum that March scope have the top of the top in optical quality, better than Swaro,Schmidt,Zeiss..., I'm asking this question because I'm in decision if I buy the 3-27 from Schmidt,I had some swaro and zeiss in the past and now the low 3 to the high 27 from Schmidt seem a great scope. Is it March so great..? Excuse my english I'm french from Quebec Thank you for your help?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 17:03
I'm interested in hearing what the Hive has to say on this too. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Or....Bienvenue à parler optique!  Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 17:22
X2 Welcome. Cheaptrick I didn't know that you were bilingual. go Penguins!!!! Potentza don't apologize most of us only speak one and sometimes not well at that in spite of two years of French in high school. I only can recall a little bit.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 17:30
I'm NOT bilingual!!! I only like girls...and Ted. Wink

GO RANGERS!!! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 17:53
You pervert, I should have said semi- bisexual pervert. F'the Rangers go Pens!

Again welcome Potenza!
-

Potenza View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potenza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm interested in hearing what the Hive has to say on this too. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Or....Bienvenue à parler optique!  Big Grin

Thank you for your Hospitality!
This is the post in question:

ps. j'ai (2) 8x80x56....ca devrais repondre a la question envers la qualité. Il est important de savoir que la parle pas a travers mon chapeau, j'ai regarder dans tout ce qui se fait sur le marché....et c'est le top..et de LOIN.
It's from this forum the guy New Shooter said it is the best by far and he said too he tried all other on the market.                                                                                                                                  http://extreme-precision.forum-2007.com/t44048-march-optics-nouveau-vendeur-canadien?highlight=march
His rifle is there:http://extreme-precision.forum-2007.com/t35170-starshooter-2013-ftr-setup-kelbly-bartlein-march?highlight=march
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 18:06
Potenza I will apologize for myself for high jacking your thread it was me and not Cheaptrick, I'm sure you will get much better answers than I've given. I'm afraid I'm one of the jesters here that is learning more than I've ever imagined that I could find on a site. I'm a hunter. Almost all of these gentlemen on this site are both real shooters and hunters as well.

Skip

Potenza View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potenza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 18:15
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Potenza I will apologize for myself for high jacking your thread it was me and not Cheaptrick, I'm sure you will get much better answers than I've given. I'm afraid I'm one of the jesters here that is learning more than I've ever imagined that I could find on a site. I'm a hunter. Almost all of these gentlemen on this site are both real shooters and hunters as well.

Skip

No problem humour is cool!Wink
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 19:17
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm NOT bilingual!!! I only like girls...and Ted. Wink

GO RANGERS!!! 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 19:19
Thanks Ted.ill try!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 19:31
Welcome to OT, Potenza!

March scopes definitely fall into the Alpha optics category, and thus are in the same league as Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, S&B, Hensoldt, Kahles, etc in terms of image quality. They are characterized by very high resolution.

When you get to this level of quality and performance, there is no such thing as "better" or "best" because they are all excellent, yet different people have different preferences and see things differently. Different manufacturers have different design goals, and it's impossible to have everything. Every enhancement of some feature or characteristic involves sacrificing another desirable characteristic to some degree. For example, some manufacturers (i.e. March) emphasize ultimate resolution above all other optical qualities in their optical designs, while other manufacturers (i.e. Leica) emphasize enhanced contrast at the expense of a slight loss of ultimate resolution. It's impossible to have both extreme resolution and extreme contrast at the same time.

The only real weakness I've seen for March scopes is they have a short warranty coverage period compared to the remaining scopes discussed.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 22:16

I have the March 3-24x42.  I have used several of the March benchrest scopes.  I have Hensoldt, Zeiss, Kahles, Meopta and a number of other brands and have owned Swarovski and Schmidt and Bender.

The March compares favorably with all of them, but to answer your question, it does not BEAT them.  I've been searching for the perfect scope for a long time and the closest I've come is my Hensoldt 6-24x72.  It's flaws, for me, are 2FP and I prefer MOA/MOA. I have no complaints with anything else.  The March has some tunneling issues at low power and eyebox is fairly "critical"... it is not as easy to get behind as the Zeiss brands, Meopta, etc.  It hangs in with all the top scope makers, every scope has its peculiarities/flaws.   If you get one, I don't think you will be disappointed.  Adjustments are EXCELLENT, exceeded only by USOptics EREK(( and MAYBE the new Tangent Theta line) and very close to that.  When I mention adjustments, I am normally only talking about elevation... once azimuth is set, I hold for wind.  The illumination is as good as I"ve run across.  Mine is MOA/MOA and I would buy another just for the reticle... I have the 3-24x52 on order.  Therefore, you know I like it. 

March doesn't make the best scope in the world... but neither does anyone else.  They all have negatives, no matter how good they are.  You just have to pick the ones you want to live with.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 11:04
I think that the responses that Rifledude and Kickboxer have given are are well said. And I would trust their thoughts, they are some knowledgeable individuals.

To me it is like comparing Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. Or maybe I should have said Ferrari vs Lamborghini vs Maserati.
Potenza View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potenza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 12:49
Thank you for your comments, and Kickboxer I will consider the Hensoldt 6-24X56 for sure, the top series from Zeiss probably the best in overall optical quality.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 22:37

Originally posted by Potenza Potenza wrote:

Thank you for your comments, and Kickboxer I will consider the Hensoldt 6-24X56 for sure, the top series from Zeiss probably the best in overall optical quality.

It fulfills more of my requirements than any other scope I've encountered.  Where it really shines is low light performance (get it? shines... low light).  It is similar to the Zeiss Victory 6-24x72, but with lens coatings optimized for low light and CA-elimination.  It is a dream to shoot with and makes what I find as deficiencies seem trivial.  It is truly "astronomy class". 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic