OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Conquest HD5 5-25x50 vs Meopta Meostar vs SS HD..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Conquest HD5 5-25x50 vs Meopta Meostar vs SS HD..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquest HD5 5-25x50 vs Meopta Meostar vs SS HD..
    Posted: April/29/2014 at 15:31

Is there a comparable scope that has better glass than this model at this price point?
I intend to do mostly long range target shooting and maybe some hunting.
 Resolution/contrast at high X are top priority along with brightness.
 If the HD5 had a better reticle(s) and was 1st plane my decision would be much easier.
 Decent pick for around $1K?

The Meopta Meostar R1 with the McWhorter MV reticle and 1st plane looks promising minus the lack of magnification. If the Meopta has better glass I'd definitely consider it since better glass trumps higher X depending how much better.

Should I save up another $300 and go for the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm?
 How does it's glass compare to the above two? 

Edited by Scottyman - April/29/2014 at 17:44
Maine? Where's that?
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 20:27

What kind of ranges are you looking at for the long range target?  Exposed turrets preferred?

I recently looked at the Zeiss HD5 3-15X scopes at a local Cabelas.  Glass was a little better than my Conquest, but the SWFA SS 5-20X is much better in clarity, contrast.  I have the SWFA SS mounted on my long range 260 Rem rifle and can easily take me out to 1000 yards, when I cooperate.

If exposed turrets or needing that much magnification is not necessary, you should strongly consider the Swarovski Z3 4-12X with the BRH reticle.  Now there is some impressive glass and price point is just at $1K.  Marked difference in optical quality compared to the Zeiss HD and better than the SWFA to my eyes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic