OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm-08 vs .260 Rem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7mm-08 vs .260 Rem
    Posted: April/29/2014 at 10:12
i got a .260 last year for Christmas... and with the stupid ammo crisis.. its been hell trying to get ammo.  it doesn't really like the Rem Cor-lokts.. so not many options in factory ammo.   I bought dies and all the stuff for reloading.. but I just don't seem to like it.. as I haven't done any.

one of my local shops has a Savage Model 11 with Accu-stock in 7mm-08.... and I am considering trading the 260 (also a model 11 but no accu-stock)  in on the 7mm-08.

What does anyone think about that trade?  there is 7mm-08 ammo available local and even more online.

I wanted the .260 because of all the folks who love it... swear it kills better than it should sort of thing. 
take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 10:26

I would make the trade in a "New York minute"...  7mm-08 is a GREAT caliber, can shoot as "soft" or as "hard" as you want it to, can take everything on the North American continent (probably would want heavier for Griz, but black bear would be OK)... just an all around useful and useable caliber. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 10:29
I have a R700 in 7mm-08 and a Savage M11 in 7mm-08 (w/o Accu-stock) but no experience with 260.  I have more experience with the R700, had it for 8 years and it has shot well with most factory ammo but really loved Cor-lockts, I have since started reloading for it.  The M11 is a youth model that I bought for my son, but I also have an adult stock for it.  I have taken it to the range twice and tried a variety of factory ammo in it and it hasn't been very picky, but did prefer the Federal Fusion.  I have only hunted deer with the 7mm-08, but it does the job well.  I don't think you would be giving up anything by going with the 7mm-08 over the 260 as a hunting rifle and in my area of Tennessee and where I hunt in Arkansas I can buy various 7mm-08 ammo at Walmart or Academy.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 10:34
I'd stay with the 260 Rem., but I'm a paper punchin, steel bangin semi-auto shooter and not much of a long range game getter. So, what are you going to use it for?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 11:23
Check with Ted (Rifledude), he's very familiar with both of these calibers and will break it down so that the choice is easier for you.

Personally, I bought a 7mm.08 last year and I'm very happy with it. Some told me 7mm.08 ammo was hard to come by but that's not true and there seems to be a lot of choices out there, at least it has for me.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 11:26

deer hunting,  mostly whitetails.

take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 11:36
Where's Ted??? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 11:59
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 12:07
http://www.southwestammunition.com/

And their 260 ammo is on sale!

For me, it'd be a tough call, 260 is fun, 7mm-08 is really, really too.  If you have the reloading stuff, consider that a loss in the caliber change.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 12:22
I'm here.Big Grin

I'm gonna surprise you and say there isn't a heckuva lot of difference between .260 and 7-08. I have and love both chamberings and would happily hunt anything in North America with either. I slightly prefer 7-08 for multiple reasons...

1. If you're buying a factory rifle instead of building, the manufacturers tend to get the twist rate right on 7-08 more often than .260 from what I've seen. The best twist for 7-08 is 1:8 - 9 for the 160ish bullets, and yet it will still shoot the 120's well. .260 is best at 1:8.

2. While both 6.5 and 7mm bullets are very ballistically efficient, with good bullet selection, construction options, and B.C. for any shooting or hunting task you'd ever ask of either in N. America, 7mm arrives with just a tad more "a$$," which I'd prefer for larger critters.

3. 7mm offers a slight B.C. advantage in the heavies. It's essentially negligible, but nevertheless advantages are never concessions.

4. If you don't plan to reload, 7-08 has far better ammo availability.

5. If you aren't building a custom rifle, there are far more rifles chambered in 7-08 than .260.

6. (Minor factor) If you don't have brass and are starting with .308, 7mm works the brass less during resizing, so you usually have less to trim.

7. On a personal note, I have many more good memories afield carrying a 7-08 than .260, and being the romantic sort I am, that plays no small role in my choice.

8. Also on a personal note, I'm an unapologetic 7mm slut.

There's no noticeable difference in recoil between the two according to my shoulder, so if I had to pick only 1, I'll take 7-08 every time, for the reasons cited above.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 12:31
Southwest Ammo is GTG, before I started reloading I shot their 175 SMK's and they performed well.  I am sure you could sell the reloading equipment you bought for 260 and recover some of your expense. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 12:39
I was pretty sure I was going to make the trade... and now I know I will.
Thanks for the quick replies all!!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 12:45
if it makes you feel better tip, i bought my sons each a 7-08..... and i love 6.5mm's
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 12:50
that's one of the reason's I starting to consider it Pyro!...   and when I saw the accu-stocked one on the clearance/sale rack... it really got me going.   Hope they still have it!
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 16:10
I gotta get me a 7mm. One day...
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 16:22
don't be zipping out to Omaha and beat me to mine!!  Big Grin
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 16:32
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

don't be zipping out to Omaha and beat me to mine!!  Big Grin

Hahaha....It's all yours! I wouldn't do that to you, Tip. Wink 

I might go with a Ruger Hawkeye LH next time.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 16:40
a Ruger eh?   I love their pistols!
take em!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 16:52
If you really want to step into a caliber that you can always buy bullets for go to 30-06  .243 7mm mag 300 WM the rest can be tough to find although there was a huge pile of 280 brass for sale here when every other bin of brass was empty.  As for 7mm08 I spent a lot of time talking Julio into going 7mm08 because recoil is a big issue for him and he wants to shoot elk and deer. I dont see much sense trying to do any caliber that you cant currently buy ammo for because powder is virtually non existant at least here.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 16:56
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

a Ruger eh?   I love their pistols!

nevermind, im slow, i thought you were implying that the hawkeye was a pistolLoco
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic