OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting Scope Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XrayDoc88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotting Scope Question
    Posted: April/20/2014 at 18:07
I'm considering purchasing either the Vortex Razor HD 16-48 x 65 or the more powerful 20-60 x 85. I've been reading about spotting scopes and apparently unless you buy the really top of the line glass, the visual quality or precise focus gets sketchy on all variable scopes at the most powerful settings. I'm pretty sure that both of these two Vortex scopes use exactly the same eyepiece that has a 1 to 3 fold power range. So here's my question. 

Will the visual quality of the first scope set at 48x magnification be worse than the visual quality of the second scope, also set at 48x? I know the second scope should be brighter. But other than brightness, is the first scope going to struggle because it is at its maximum magnification while the second scope is more in its middle range? Or will the quality of 48x be very similar in both scopes? Thanks.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2014 at 21:14
Both of those scopes are sharp up to max magnification, and compare well to "top of the line glass," IMO.

The advantage of the 85mm is that it is brighter at equal magnifications, especially in low light, and offers more magnification.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic