OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500
    Posted: April/18/2014 at 09:20
Recently picked up a Anschutz 1517 in 17 HMR and curious on folks opinion on the Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 as a scope to mount on it.  Plan to use Talley one piece scope mounts.

Purpose is 80% paper punching at 100 yards with the remaining time spent small game hunting.  I like the magnification range and Ilya's review seems favorable, although the reticle I'm looking at is their fine multi-X with covered turrets.

Aesthetics of the scope fit the lines of the 1517 and as flat shooting as the 17 HMR is, I don't see much need for anything outside of a thin multiplex reticle.

Welcome any experiences with the scope or other recommendations.

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 14:00
Comparison to the Weaver 3-15x42 Super Slam beyond the mag range
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 16:03
Beautiful rifle, Marine! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 16:06
Thanks.  Lucked in to this one.  Was on a hunt for a CZ 455 Varmint but couldn't come to terms with the shop owner.  Went to the local Cabelas to ease my pain and they had this one on sale.

After seeing the wood, I was hooked.  I'm new to 17 HMR, but even if I can't hit the broad side of the barn, I'll look good missing.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 16:20
Very nice looking rifle,Marine24 and I bet it's going to be a shooter and look good to. Sorry can't help you with the optics your asking about.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 16:54
Thanks Coyote.  Open to other suggestions for the intended purpose.  Debating on whether a mil dot might be a better reticle option.  Wind has a tendency to blow around here and might be helpful when holding for wind.

The subtension on the Bushnell mildot is .25 as I understand it.  Vortex Viper HS is .16 on their V-plex and .156 for their BDC reticle.

Not sure how much of a difference that makes when shooting at targets or varmints at 200 yards.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 17:00
I went with a Weaver 2-7x Rimfire on my CZ .17.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 17:14
It is hard for me to understand that heavy of a scope in a .17 HMR.  I have a Cooper Jackson Squirrel that is topped with a Kahles 2-7 X 36. I can see further with this scope than that rifle is effective in my hands. I am a sucker for pretty wood. In the picture that stock looks nice. Congratulations. And welcone to the OT.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 17:29
That's a consideration that I keep waffling on. If this was a 22LR, it would be an easy decision but the 17HMR has longer legs. Perhaps a 2-7x or 3-9x with better glass.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 18:03
I was in Monument Valley about 3 years ago. Have you seen this guy driving around. I liked his truck.
It reads
           GO AHEAD
          CUT ME OFF     
             I'VE GOT
               TONE!

Edited by 3_tens - April/18/2014 at 18:08
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2014 at 17:18
Different Monument.  Think you are thinking of the one in Utah.  Only monuments we have are the Rockies.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2014 at 17:20

I have a Vortex Diamondback that will do just fine for the time being, but have gotten a little spoiled with good glass on my SWFA scopes.

How does the quality of the Z3 glass stack up against the likes of SWFA's HD glass on their 1-6x and 5-20X?

Looking at their Z3 3-10X with the BRX reticle.

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2014 at 11:46
Marine24,  is this model the HB or sporter model ? 
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2014 at 12:04
Not sure.  What distinguishes the HB from the sporter line?

Ended up falling in to a great deal on the Z3 3-9x36 with the plex reticle that I jumped on.  Should have it and the Talley mounts from SWFA in the next day or so.

Still debating on the Bushnell though.  Nice one sitting on the Sample List and bound to find something to mount it on.

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2014 at 14:42
I just visited Annie web site and looks like all their 1517's wear heavy tubes. It looks like yours has the sport stock from your picture.I'm thinking that z3 is going to be a nice fit for that nice rifle.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2014 at 15:32
Thanks.  I'll post pics once I get everything mounted up.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2014 at 15:42
yes... please do... we like pics!   Congrats on the Z3!   I have a 4-12X40AO on my 17HMR and it works well.
take em!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2014 at 16:13
There are four 1517s, two with sporter barrels that have a muzzle diameter of .63 inches and one heavy barrel which has a muzzle diameter of .75 inches. The 1517 MPR has a muzzle diameter of .89 inches. But I can tell from the photo that yours in not an MPR model. Both of my Anschutz rifles are heavy barreled models and have HB after the model number stamped on the barrel by the receiver. Such as 1717HB and 1416HB.

Nice Annie BTW. My two Annies are two rifles, I would be very very hard pressed to sell.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2014 at 21:23
Sparky:  This is the sporter version but have seen the HB versions with the beavertail forend.  Definitely nice looking rifles, particularly the 17XX series.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2014 at 22:47
To my knowledge all beavertail versions are heavy barrels. And yes they are very nice rifles. I have been keeping an eye our for a 1702 HB in 17 Mach 2 and a 1710 HB in 22LR to go with my 1416 HB and 1717 HB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic