OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox HG Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2006 at 04:39

Just a heads up the Minox HG's got recommended in Field & Stream this month.

I will say one thing I havent seen any in person but in the pictures they are a great lookin binocular.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

ggirino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggirino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2006 at 04:38

Hello again,

yesterday I had a chance to look through a pair of the new HG 8.5x52 at a shop and I'd like to give a comment from a profane's point of view.

I first noticed a very good contrast in the image which likely adds to a perceivable high level of detail: house bricks some 100 m away (~ 330 ft) showed all their details and texture. This may probably mean nothing since I can neither quantify this contrast nor compare it to other makes/models.

What disappointed me was a very noticeable fringing, chromatic aberration. Looking at a contrasty subject, a dark gray liberty building spire against an almost white cloudy sky (I purposely chose a black and white scene), a wide yellow halo was clearly visible to the right of the subject's edge and a thinner light purple one on the left. I found this quite disturbing. Now I don't know if this is normal even for high ends binos but, talking optics in general, I wouldn't stand if my photographic lenses showed such aberration.

The focusing wheel also didn't feel as smooth as I would have liked (seemed also to have some play to it) and the diopter adjusting was rather stiff.

The rangefinder (actually a distance scale) built on the focusing wheel is limited to 100 m.

It sold at 799 euros at that shop .

I would like to hear opinions on chromatic aberrations for the Victory 8x56 FL and the Ultravid 8x50

BTW, at 8.5 magnification I have already reached my limit for steady holding.

Lino

whitneymuse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitneymuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 02:22
I see, this reply is coming several years after your original; I just enjoy really clear optical views; and read so many outstanding ones regarding the Minox HG line; got the 10X43 and was so impressed with the "whiteness" of the white imgages and the clarity of these, in their light magnesium housings I wanted something I could comfortably hand hold with relative steadiness; that would be the 8.5X43.  They came in this afternoon and are just outstanding, clear and so flatly clear from edge to edge.  Of course the economies of these compared to any of the big threes has made it possible to have the 10X and the 8X for the cost of the Zeiss Victory bin.  Not saying that these are the same; however, when my untrained eyes held them up A-B I was still impressed with the Minox HG images.  Also the rubberized magneium alloy housing is so comfortably light, with a nearly "tacky" no-slip quality to the skin.

Something very important is that the diopter adjustment at the right eye side must be lifted from its seat, then one can adjust it for diopter changes; the salesman said, "so glad you called, we had someone who returned his and there was evidence of using a pliers to get the adjustment ring to turn.  Phew....didn't make that mistake; it did occur to me though as a possibllity for a fleeting moment.   I may trade the 10X's for more magnification and semi-permanently mount them on a tripod/stand for static viewing,    
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 17:50

"Field of view - normally measured in degrees for marine binoculars - is a product of magnification and the size and position of field stops and has nothing to do with the size of the objective lens as many suppose".

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q1uN2AIXESx/learn/learningcenter/home/binoguide.html

Edited by Bird Watcher - May/08/2010 at 18:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic