OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

is the swfa ss 3-9x42 using HD glass?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is the swfa ss 3-9x42 using HD glass?
    Posted: April/14/2014 at 19:24
I was looking at the tax day sale and the 3-9 says it has the HD glass bit when you click on the image it doesn't mention it being HD. Just curious thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2014 at 19:52
I don't think the glass is HD on my 3-9x, but it's pretty darn good. I would never let the "lack" of HD glass keep me from the SS 3-9x.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2014 at 20:25
Well I just ordered it so we will see :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 06:54
Good deal. I love my SS 3-9x the more I use it. 
I had it out side by side at dusk with a 3-9x Leupold VX-R, which in it's own right is a nice scope, and the SS smoked it, optically speaking. Low light performance of the SS was clearly superior. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 07:59
Last time I was at SWFA (more than a year ago), I seem to recall Skylar telling me that the 3-9 is in fact HD glass.  I could be wrong, but I can almost swear that's what he told me.  Either way, the only way I didn't get one was that they gave me a smoking deal on a 3.5-10x50 Conquest from the Sample List. Otherwise, I'd have one.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 08:41
I know it's been discussed here several times, but I honestly can't remember if it is or not, Deck. 
Suffice to say, the glass in the 3-9x SS is on par with most high end tactical scopes and will NOT disappoint.  
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 10:08

Which 3-9 SWFA scope are we talking about, the older one with the Mil-dot reticle or the newer one with the Mil-quad reticle? I think the newer one has HD glass but I can't remember.

I have the older 3-9, and very happy with it.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 10:16
Mine too is the older Mil Dot. Serial # 0021. Wink
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 10:52
I'm on the fence on whether or not to pull the trigger.  I have a 1903A3 I want to re-barrel, but I also want to get the 3-9x42.  Don't have cash for both right now. 
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 13:23

Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

I'm on the fence on whether or not to pull the trigger.  I have a 1903A3 I want to re-barrel, but I also want to get the 3-9x42.  Don't have cash for both right now. 

What's wrong with the barrel it has?

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 13:27
It's shot out.  Original 30-06 barrel.  Thinking of re-barreling to a 280 AI with a Shilen CM.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 13:27
My dad gave it to me at christmas and said I could do whatever I want with it.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 13:37
If it's in original military configuration, it would have more value as is. Even if you just replaced the barrel with another military barrel in new condition it would reduce the value, but not as much as changing calibers or sporterizing it. I'd put that project on the back burner and research it a little more. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2014 at 16:51
It's already been sporterized.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2014 at 09:33
Then by all means, put a new barrel on it. I always thought 1903 Springfields made better sporting rifles than Mausers.
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2014 at 12:39
Well mine should be here tomorrow and I cannot wait to see how the glass looks. No parralax is kind of a bummer but that shouldn't get in the way of it being a awesome scope right? We shall see!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2014 at 12:44
Originally posted by cory.doe cory.doe wrote:

Well mine should be here tomorrow and I cannot wait to see how the glass looks. No parralax is kind of a bummer but that shouldn't get in the way of it being a awesome scope right? We shall see!

No side focus, hocus pocus is a good thing. Not needed, nor wanted with this scope. I'm pretty sure you'll like it. 
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2014 at 13:02
This would be a good read for you an why a parallax adjustment is not needed on the 3-9.

http://www.opticstalk.com/what-exactly-is-parallax-anyway_topic5026.html
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2014 at 17:56
Ah thank you for that. Very informative.
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2014 at 17:47
Ah the arrival of my first swfa ss. Glorious day! The 3-9 is just as good as everyone says it is. Very clear glass, easy to look through and just fun to play with. Haven't done any shooting with it yet but I'm not expecting anything short of flawless. Great optic from a great company!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic