OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 Scope Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308 Scope Upgrade
    Posted: April/10/2014 at 19:37
I am wanting to upgrade the scope I have on my 308. I started off with the SS 3-9 but sold it to buy the 5-20. Life got in the way and I had to put a 2.5-10x44 PST on it that I had laying around. The rifle is R700 that has been trued with a 22" Rock Barrel in a Manners MCS-T with mini-chassis. My budget is no more than $2500.00 and this rifle is used at the range, known distances to 500 yards. One day I would like to extend the range, but that is difficult around my neck of the woods. FFP and illumination are not required, but would be nice, same goes for zero stops. I like the 3-15 mag range as it seems to fit my needs but I want the best glass I can afford. I am considering the following:

SS 3-15
SS 5-20
Vortex Razor 3-18x50 HD Gen II EBR-2C
Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Light Tactical Non-Illuminated Gen II Mil-Dot

I think the SS 5-20 will be the best value, but I have no way to actually compare these scopes and would like some recommendations from those that have. I have read Ilya's review on high end Tacticals and was looking for a little more imput.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 09:02
I run a Kahles K312 on my 308 and absolutely love it..
It replaced a USO 3-17
Also ran the Premier LT 3-15 and a host of others

The Kahles is just such a nice optic to run..
Even out to 1k
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 09:19
SS 3-15 and not look back. It has great glass, almost perfect power range, very durable, and the best customer service in the business hand down.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 10:35
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I run a Kahles K312 on my 308 and absolutely love it..

The Kahles is just such a nice optic to run..
Even out to 1k

I was thinking the same thing. The K312 is very likely my next scope.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2014 at 18:58
The K312 is a very well-optimized scope, indeed.

If memory serves me right, Ken said they will be coming out with an upgraded version of that scope that looks like a scaled down K624i shortly.  So far, I have only seen the K312 with the Mil2 reticle which is serviceable, but not my favourite.  There are a lot of nice reticle out there, so unless you ahve a strong preference for a classic MilDot, I would consider something else that is easier to range with and hold over with.  I hope they make the K312 availabel with he MSR.

Frankly, there are quite a few very nice scopes that costs less than $2500, so I would not be looking to skimp on features or performance.

Now, had it been my money, for the use you describe, I would get another SS 5-20x50 and spend the rest of the money on something else (ammo, training, etc).  The SS 3-15x42 is a superb scope for the money, but the 5-20x50 is better.  As you go toward longer distances, you will pareciate the 10 mrad/turn knobs and higher magnification is an aid in reading the conditions and spotting for your friends.

I was very impressed with the Gen 2 Razor I saw, but it is not out yet.  I will test the 3-18x50 when full production models are available.

Premier LT is in limited supply, but it is still one of my favourite scopes out there.  Its replacement from Tangent Theta will run around $3200, so if you like this power range, the LT is a good way to go.

ILya

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2014 at 18:12
Thanks for the advice, I think I will probably go with the SS 5-20.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2014 at 16:44
Got my hands on a SS 5-20 and have money left over for some more training, thanks again for all the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic