OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swfa 3-15 vs 10x HD!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swfa 3-15 vs 10x HD!
    Posted: April/09/2014 at 17:34
Alright this is my first post and it goes out to the swfa lovers and owners. My question is does the glass quality of the fixed HD model outweigh the versatility of the variable. Tricky question right? They are both in the same price range. I am absolutely brand miopic on this topic and just looking for some owners advice. Its going on a savage predator .243 for yote hunting and target shooting at no less than 150 yds. Thanks in advance.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 19:25
Welcome to the OT!

A trick question,yes.Scopes are very personal as far as likes & dislikes go.I've owned both at some time or another & I always go back to the 10X HD.I prefer  better glass over magnification any day of the week.The 10X can focus down to 50yrds [42yds] on the 2 that I have owned.this mag.covers all of my shooting out to 400 yrds,which is the longest distance I have to deal with!

This may not have totally answered your question,it's only my personal evaluation to a no true answer trick question.[:}
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 20:05
It would certainly seem that good glass goes a lglass.ay. I also lean towards the straight 10x for consistent holds as varying magnification changes the eye relief slightly. Not to mention better glass would (or so I'm told) relieve some of the eye strain seen in poorer glass and that is a big deal as I plan to look through the scope a lot. I think 10 would cover my ranges well enough.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 21:27
I would love to hear this answered...

This is a very interesting post and I know some on here have both I do not.

Have not plunged into the 3-15 yet but would if pushed...

Have had 2 10x HD's and 2 10x regulars...
No one
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 21:47
Yeah I thought long and hard about all my possible options and this is where I got stuck haha. Hey swfa you know what would be neat, seeing as how you are sticking to the rear mounted parralax maybe throw a cat tail on that thing and make that much better :) just a thought. I'll be a test subject no charge haha.     
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 22:16
Will this be for a specific shooting discipline. or is this for an only one scope for everything scenario?

In the one scope scenario it would be the 3-15 for sure. This scope could work well on rimfire hunting small fast game or on a heaver weapon for long range shooting. The wider field of view would be more useful than added clarity in most shooting activities. The 3-15 being a ffp scope will provide the same ranging and drops at any power setting. This will make the better choice in more situations than the added clarity in the 10X HD. IMO
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 22:55
For the vast majority out there, the answer is no.  The 3-15x42 is a better choice.

The 10x42HD is an excellent scope (I have one), and I prefer it for some applications, but for most people and most applications the 3-15x42 is a better way go.

I prefer the turrets of the 10x42HD and at 10x it has better image quality than the 3-15x42 at the same magnification.

It is also a little easier to use for a lefty with the rear parallax adjustment.

If all I did was shooting pretty far away with a particular rifle, I would probably lean toward the 10x42HD, since I prefer the turret feel and since I do not usually shoot at very high magnification.

For everything else the versatility of the 3-15x42 wins the day.

ILya
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 00:46
This is the dilemma I faceno this scenario i am creating right now. I have a target at 535yds, the target is in a group of non targets that are similar in shape and size. Would the higher magnification (15x) make it easier to identify the proper target? Or would superior glass be better in this scenario.

Also would I feel less eye strain with the HD model than the variable scope? As I said I do plan on spending extended periods of time behind it.

I am going to be shooting steel mainly but Coyote and maybe deer are not out of the question. Thanks you guys for your thoughts on this so far.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 08:35

I side with Koshkin on this one.  Having owned and used both scopes extensively, for an all-purpose rifle, I would do the 3-15.  The 10X is a great optic, but any fixed power will limit its utility in some applications.

Were glass the only metric, the 10X would almost always win, but there is MUCH more to the use of a rifle scope than glass.

I too prefer the turrets on the 10X, but there is much to be said for the ability to zoom down to 3X and up to 15X in real-world conditions.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 10:18
Originally posted by cory.doe cory.doe wrote:

I am going to be shooting steel mainly but Coyote and maybe deer are not out of the question. Thanks you guys for your thoughts on this so far.

For me the FOV on the 10x is way too narrow for deer and coyote hunting. I could see a 6x but not a 10x.
cory.doe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cory.doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 19:56
Ok, well i think you guys have convinced me with near overwhelming support for the 3-15. Maybe one day I'll own both but for now it will be a win for versatility. Thanks for your help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic