OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low,Med or High

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low,Med or High
    Posted: April/05/2014 at 12:01
Looking at DNZ one piece mount for a Rem 700 .270.  The scope is a SS 30mm tube 42mm optical.  Can anyone advise short/long action and with the 42mm with the med allow enough clearance with caps?     
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2014 at 13:03
Low, long action, for a .270 Win should work. 

We generally recommend Talley rings here....you rebel you.  Embarrased
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
moesterman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2014 at 13:37
I have been called much worse.  I am very open for options if you are willing to share advantages/disadvantages.  What are the best options for this application?  It just seems to be an easy way to get-rrr-done.    Thanks, Al

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2014 at 13:44
http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-Aluminum-30mm-Scopemount-P8379.aspx
(Sorry, I can't hot link these days.)

Here ya go. I'm sure the DNZ's will work for you, but these Talley's are great. I just picked up another set for a short action Rem 700 and a SS 3-9x. Work like a dream with Butler Creek caps.   
oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2014 at 04:50
I tried to get the talleys but the guy I got the scope off only had dnz, So I got the dnz tactical low one piece. They were easy to mount and feel solid, I put 44mm in the lows no worries.  
moesterman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2014 at 19:35
With the 44mm did  you have any cap clearance? I have the Butler Creeks on this glass. I had sent an e-mail to DNZ where they advised med height.  Hell, I don't know....      
oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 07:27

moesterman,

I've got the butler creek bikini cover not the flip up. there is about 5mm of clearance off the barrel with the 44mm with no covers on. I don't know how much room the flip ups need.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2014 at 00:19
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Low, long action, for a .270 Win should work. 

We generally recommend Talley rings here....you rebel you.  Embarrased

What do you mean by "we"?
I do not think I ever recommended Talley (having never used them and all...)

Ilya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2014 at 07:11
Was merely referring to us, the unwashed masses, I call Team Talley, Oh Dark One.  

As far as you not having tried the Talley LW's, I would most gladly send you a set for you to evaluate, but sadly my only samples fit Remington 700's, and given your dissatisfaction with Big Green, (as my feeble mind recalls), makes the likely hood of you having a Remington 700 receiver to mount said rings highly unlikely.Thus, it seems we are at a most unfortunate impasse. 

Please advise your humble servant if I may in any way be of service, Your Evilness! Bow
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2014 at 08:03
I have done that fit a Savage I'll send if that's of any interest to the dark lord
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2014 at 10:42
Dissatisfaction with the Big Green? Now that is one hell of an understatement...
I have sorta standardized on Weaver/Picatinny style rings and, aside from my Tikka which has a dovetail machined on the receiver, do not use anything else.
I am sure Talley makes a fine product, but I do not like to be locked into a system with only one supplier.

Ilya
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 01:21
Can someone explain the differences between the Tallys and the SWFA SS TAC 30 rings?  I just purchased a set of TAC 30's to hold onto my brand new SS 3-15x42.  Are the TAC 30's going to fall apart or is this a Tally crowd?  The scope is mounted on a EGW base on a Rem 700 30-06.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 06:08
No, the SS rings won't fall apart. SS rings are fine. One is a tactical style ring, the other a hunting style. 
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 14:45
Thanks Cheaptrick.  My sarcastic humor didn't convey well i guess.  I knew the TAC 30's were great.  I went back and fourth between the two looking for differences and didn't realize hunting vs tactical.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 14:54
I didn't realize your sarcasm. Well done!! Big Grin
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 15:12
Keeping you on your toes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic