OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.473 Bolt face Choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .473 Bolt face Choice
    Posted: April/03/2014 at 09:00

If you were putting together a hunting rig for non dangerous deer sized game on an action with a 308 boltface currently, what would you chamber in.  Most shots on game less than 300 yds.  I'm not into duplicates really and already have a 243 and 308.   thinking 260.   Suggestions and why?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 09:02
In before Rifle Dude....

7mm/08!!!  Sharp Shooter
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 09:04
7mm/08 is a really really nice all-around round.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 09:21

I have used the 250 sav. and 257 Roberts when living and hunting in Wyoming on mulies and goats and even when the prairie dogs would get aggressive. Fun to load, conservative powder, good choice of bullets --- something different.  Both were bolt guns a 77 Ruger and featherweight Win in the 257.

Light weight and easy to carry, no recoil.

still use the 250 in an Arisaka actions custom with Birdseye maple stock

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 10:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

In before Rifle Dude....

7mm/08!!!  Sharp Shooter

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

7mm/08 is a really really nice all-around round.

Without even a second thought!!!!

My only decision would be whether to go plane-Jane 7-08 or 7-08AI!

The only way I wouldn't go 7-08 is if I already had multiple rifles so chambered (I doWink), in which case, I'd go .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 10:07
7-08AI eww eww yeah yeah....
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:12
Lets be above the crowd, a nostalgic .257 Roberts or a newer entry as stated above, the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Sharp Shooter
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:15
Should have added I'm partial to the " Bob " cuz I use one quite often and Mrs. Peddler shoots a Creedmoor and I know what the 6.5 does to Whitetails.

Big Grin

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:35
would a 6mmBR work on the 308 bolt face?  If so the 30BR might be an options I look at
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:37
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

would a 6mmBR work on the 308 bolt face?  If so the 30BR might be an options I look at

G, now you are thinking outside the box.

Excellent

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:44
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Yes, it uses .473" bolt face.

I have one of those too.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:53
I like .25's a lot, for nostalgic reasons.

But, logically, if long range is ever a possibility, .25's suck hind teat compared to other bore sizes of equal or less recoil level.

For example, a 6mm with considerably less case capacity begins to overtake it at medium distance and beyond both in drop and drift, because the bullet manufacturers won't give the poor .257" bore any high BC love. When comparing current bullet offerings, even the .243 is a superior LR performer to the .25-06 both in terms of drop and drift, solely due to much superior BC.

6.5's and 7mm's stomp all over quarterbores even worse, and still don't punish you any more in the bargain.

6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm rule when it comes to ballistic efficiency: recoil ratio... i.e. fun.

It hurts me deep inside to admit, as I've always had a soft spot for my .25-06, but bullet manufacturers won't cooperate when it comes to .257".
Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 14:58
Ted, at the distance that I shoot Whitetails the 117 SST kicks the snot out of them. 200 yards max at a couple tree houses and if I go to two other spots the .270 goes to work.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 15:35

I really really want to built a 30BR.   But  that little common sense guy is knocking on my brain saying this ain't the right action for that. 

This is a Sako L57 action with a 308 bolt face that will be a hunting gun. 

Right now 7mm-08AI seems to be the front runner of choices.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 16:29
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Ted, at the distance that I shoot Whitetails the 117 SST kicks the snot out of them. 200 yards max at a couple tree houses and if I go to two other spots the .270 goes to work.

Me too, brother. I've killed beaucoup numbers of critters with my .25-06... but the fact remains, the bullet mfg's still don't give us .257" fans any love on bullet selection compared to other calibers. I'm thinking of going on a one man crusade over this travesty!!!Big Grin

Over the years, the 7-08 has really won me over with its eagerness to do it all in a mild-mannered, very forgiving short action package.
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 21:44
Someone would have to make a very convincing argument to talk me out of a 7-08 for a short action all arounder.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 21:48
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Someone would have to make a very convincing argument to talk me out of a 7-08 for a short action all arounder.

A convincing argument against something that makes that much sense doesn't exist, Roy!Wink
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 23:02
Well a 284 Win doesn't suck too much either.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2014 at 23:12
I too would have another 7-08, and the only reason I went away from it is Hornady quit making my 162 amaxs. But the 7mm offers very good hunting bullets, probably better than most any caliber under .30.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 08:28
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Me too, brother. I've killed beaucoup numbers of critters with my .25-06... but the fact remains, the bullet mfg's still don't give us .257" fans any love on bullet selection compared to other calibers. I'm thinking of going on a one man crusade over this travesty!!!Big Grin

Wink

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic