OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwhitetail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rifle Scope
    Posted: April/02/2014 at 09:48
I am looking to get a new rifle scope. I hunt most whitetail and black bear from about 10 yards thick woods to 300 yards open field. I want a scope with good low light performance. I was thinking about the Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 and the Leupold VX6 2-12x42. Is the Zeiss worth the extra money I can get it around 2k. Or is there another scope better then these two for less then 2k?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 11:32
With that price budget here are some suggestions

One thing I noticed is you said "bear" and "10yds".   That is to close for me on dangerous game for anything over 1X.  I'd look at something like this -
Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6i 30mm Riflescope Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6i 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SWA69138
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4
  • 30mm
  • 2nd Generation
$2,489.00 
Add Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6i 30mm Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

The bold #4 is illuminated but still bold enough when not turned on a quick 10yd shot wouldn't be to hard. 

Another option -
Zeiss 1.1-4x24 Victory HT 30mm Rifle Scope Zeiss 1.1-4x24 Victory HT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5224059954
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 54 (Red Dot)
  • 30mm
  • Hunting Turrets
  • Schott HT Glass
  • T* Multi-Layer Coating
  • LotuTec® Coating
$2,299.95 

Schmidt & Bender 1-8x24 Zenith 30mm Riflescope Schmidt & Bender 1-8x24 Zenith 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SCH9787
  • Matte
  • 30mm
$2,899.00 

Then again for a considerable amount less you could go with one of the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4's and have a great scope. 
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Green Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24G
  • Matte
  • Green Triangle
  • 30mm
$1,020.00 
Add Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 11:42
SVT makes a good point about dangerous game.   However, those scopes are not what I would want for a low light whitetail rig.  seems to me you have a situatioin where maybe 2 different rigs are warranted.

As far as is the Zeiss worth it... only you can decide that!  I don't think you would be disappointed as its a top notch optic.. but you need to spend some time looking thru one.. in low light to decide.

There are other scopes... in a lower price point that are very good... which is why "looking" thru them and comparing is such a worth while endevor!

If you are able to spend $2k...  you are in the realm of Top Shelf optics... and will be well served!
take em!
northernwhitetail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwhitetail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 11:58
sorry to be more clear the bear will not be at 10 yards more at the 50 or so yard range where my bait is at. I have a stand that i hunt whitetails at that I see regularly at 10 yards. I currently have a nikon 2x9 and i do not like the scope but power wise i feel like i want a little more zoom and also i dislike the scope. Also its hard to test low light situations inside a store. 
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 11:58
Meopta's new MeoStar R2 series of scopes sounds tailor made for this.  Designed with low light hunting as their focus, the 1-6 or "to-be-released-in-the-states-this-summer" 1.7-10 probably deserve a look.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 12:19
I'd go for one of these:

Karl Kaps 2-8x42

http://www.kaps-zielfernrohre.de/en/

If it were me.

ATB,

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 12:20
Originally posted by northernwhitetail northernwhitetail wrote:

sorry to be more clear the bear will not be at 10 yards more at the 50 or so yard range where my bait is at. I have a stand that i hunt whitetails at that I see regularly at 10 yards. I currently have a nikon 2x9 and i do not like the scope but power wise i feel like i want a little more zoom and also i dislike the scope. Also its hard to test low light situations inside a store. 
That changes things.

Let me dig up some other suggestions.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 12:33
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR222G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$1,037.00 
Add Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Good in low light, always got illumination via the Trijicon system.  Could use the mildot as a holdover if enough practice and range time. (althougth depending on caliper 300yds ain't much)

Meopta 3-12x56 MeoStar R1 30mm Rifle Scope #4C Meopta 3-12x56 MeoStar R1 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 706590
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4C
  • 30mm
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle
$1,099.95 
Add Meopta 3-12x56 MeoStar R1 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Kahles 3.5-10x50 Helia KXi Riflescope Kahles 3.5-10x50 Helia KXi Riflescope
Stock # - KAH10504
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4-Dot (Red)
  • 1"
  • 2nd Focal Plane
$1,443.00 
or if you are ok with used  www.samplelist.com  has some deals too

SPL19121 Leupold 3.5-10x56 VX-3L Rifle Scope DEMO-A
Click to view 67870, Matte, Illum German #4 Dot, 30mm
$899.95
SPL19774 Swarovski 3-12x50 Professional Hunter Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 57089, Matte, Illuminated 4NK, 30mm
$1,349.95
northernwhitetail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwhitetail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 13:14
I am ok with buying a used scope i just want the best at low light situations because usually that is when the deer are out. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 13:15
I am a huge fan of the FX3 6x42 w/heavy duplex, and also a huge fan of the 2-12x42 VX6.  It has fantastic glass, more than good enough to exceed legal shooting light.  If I were in dense woods with this scope, I'd look hard at the fire dot duplex that is offered on that VX6.  You do not need to spend anywhere near $2k to do what you're wanting to do.  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 14:37
The trijicon 2.5-10x56 would be my pick in your shoes.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 15:24
Originally posted by northernwhitetail northernwhitetail wrote:

Also its hard to test low light situations inside a store. 
You are 100% right.... so make sure you go to a store that 1. will let you take it outside and 2. are open during low light hours!!!
take em!
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 04:03
That Meopta MeoStar R1 3-12x56 FFP is also avaiable as a SFP scope in the R1r 3-12x56 configuration.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 08:43
As much as I like Meopta stuff....with all due respect......Meopta has gone way overboard with this 56mm obj stuff on the high end R1/R2.  This ain't Europe.  It makes me wonder if Meopta has even studied the US hunter marketplace ? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 09:15
With the increase in hog hunters, predator control and other low light shooters I'm not supprised to see more large objective scopes. Honestly unless your a spot and stalk hunter a 50obj is better than a 40 or 44 and heck a 56 is even better than the 50 IMO.  I mean if I aint worried about hiking weight I want the biggest and brightest scope I can get especially for dusk/dawn shots and other low light usage.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 09:43
YEP!!!!

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 13:32
In light of the fact that any quality 40-44mm scope will get you past legal shooting light, I see no real advantage to 50mm+.  I have one 50mm scope, and it offers no practical advantage to my 42mm.  
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 16:56
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

In light of the fact that any quality 40-44mm scope will get you past legal shooting light, I see no real advantage to 50mm+.  I have one 50mm scope, and it offers no practical advantage to my 42mm.  

+100. I don't need, nor want, a Hubble on my hunting rifles.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 17:05
Me either. There are too many negative tradeoffs to having a Hubble on my rifle in exchange for miniscule gains... for me. I can tolerate the occasional 50mm objective, but that's my upper limit, with a strong preference for 42mm. With good quality optics, I've had no lack of low light performance with a 42mm objective, and have never encountered a situation where I wished for a 56mm scope. Even the scopes I use for hunting hogs at night (during a full moon or using weapon lights) all have either 42mm or, in one case, 50mm objectives, with illuminated reticles, and they've more than served me well.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2014 at 19:14

Fortunately for the scope manufacturers, there are enough of us who like the "extra" advantage from a larger objective.  If there weren't, they wouldn't make them...

Rife scopes, especially in more recent times, are expected to fill a number of requirements simultaneously.  Even the scopes that I purchase for "just hunting" have to fulfill a number of requirements... all my scopes "hunt", they all are used for targets, they can all fit an expanded set of requirements without giving up anything.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic