OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts
    Posted: April/01/2014 at 20:22
I currently have a SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope on my AR-10.  I am considering a different  scope for my AR and thought I would move the 3-9 to my Rem 700 .270.  It is not that I have money to burn but I need optic for the Rem and not sure why I purchased the 3-9 in the first place.  What is the consideration of a "tactical" scope vs another 3-9 and should I have any concerns mounting it on my Rem 700?    
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 20:32
The only concern I would have, if the SS is going on a hunting rifle, the reticle can be a bit hard to pick-up at 3x. It usually isn't a problem for ME, but that could be different for others.

What optic are you looking at for the AR?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
moesterman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 20:47
I was looking at the SWFA SS 1-6.  About half the cost of a VCOG.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 21:06
The reason one selects a "tactical" scope is so that they can dial in compensation to correct for balistic drop and wind at longer distances.  If however you are not shooting past about 300 yds you may not need that ability because most guys can hold over or under a little to compensate distance using a 200 yd zero.  For myself I would want one scope with an illuminated reticle but if you dont hunt hogs, coyotes or have a valid law enforcement or military need at night then illumination doesnt matter as much.
The correct choice of what scope someone should select is based on distance to target, and other factors like does the target move.  Most guys I know can put a red dot onto a moving target with good reliability.
Rem 700 rifles come in a wide variety of configurations everything from the M24 sniper rifle to basic hunting rifles. More than anything else having a good gunsmith do a few simple things like glass bedding and free floating the barrel or trueing the action can make huge differences in accuracy quality.
If you use your AR as a defensive tool under 200 yds I would use an Aimpoint or a Trijicon ACOG and the ACOG can work out much farther.   If you are a target shooter you may select a scope with lots of power like a 5-20x50 or even more.  To complicate matters you can even trade in the 3-9 toward what you consider the right choice by using  http://www.samplelist.com/TradeInForm.aspx
For an all around rifle the 3-9 is a very affordable choice.  For me I would much rather put a 5-20x50 on the bolt gun and put an ACOG or possibly the SS 1-6 on the AR definately something with illumination.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2014 at 17:02
For my use I prefer an actual scope with a reticle that can be used when the battery is dead. As all batteries die at some point!! I had a 1-6×40 Burris that I put on 4 different rifles and found it to be a great power range for my hunting at the time. I plan to put the 1-6×24 SWFA on my moose rifle and if the eye relief is sufficient put one on my bear rifle. . I would also strongly consider one on an AR 10 in 6.5 Cm as for a general hunting rifle for predators out to 600 yards I think it would work great. Most of my hunting shots in reality are at less than 200 yards
With the HD glass and the TOUGH reputation of SWFA scopes I figure it will be close to a do it all optic.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic