OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My new super laser rifle...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new super laser rifle...
    Posted: April/01/2014 at 08:14
I finally made the breakthrough I have wanted since target shooting at distances out to 500yds. I have the flattest shooting rifle EVER built. As explained on other threads I compete in a contest where the distance to the target cannot be ranged, so accurate estimating is vital...or is it if you have a 6mm 107gr Sierra Matchking flying at 4800 ft per second?

With a 350yd zero the point blank range on our 8 inch steel gongs is 400yds+
No need to bother about ranging, just take a little low, but not off the gong, for close gongs and just a little above center for "far" gongs.

On my first competition I shot a score of 870/900, just missing one gong due to my nerves getting the better of me. I never compensated for distance or wind on any of the targets. My fellow competitors were rattled, with the next best score at 720/900.

And wind? What wind, this high BC slips through the wind, well like someone I know slips into a sheep paddock.

With this caliber you do not need elevation and windage dials, once set up you never need to touch the dials again. Maybe this could lead to cheaper scopes in the future?

I do not want to say to much about the development as yet, because it has not yet been SAAMI approved. We are busy with this and should be completed in about one month. Let me just say, think 300H&H parent case, 70gr of a certain powder and magic comes out the barrel.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 09:01
6mm H&H?   6mm-70 H&H  6mm Wouter      kind of like the last one  Wink
take em!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 09:19

6mm Wouter just singsBig Grin

I like it Tip

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 09:19
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 09:39
Good one, Tip! 6mm Wouter. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 09:46
boy if it wasn't april fools   (and spending a lot of time trying to get stuff to 4800 fps) I'd go for it
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 10:19
Ah...April Fools. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 10:34
107 at 4800, huh?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 11:00
300 H&H... a MARVELOUS beginning... I'm liking it already... How much? 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 12:10
Dang it! I bought it. Forgot what day it was.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 12:19
We did a program for the one of the services...  got 20mm to 4800 FPS.  The goal was 6000 FPS... ran out of funding... and THAT is no April Fool's joke...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 15:34
Wouter that was a " Hooter "!

Roll on Floor Laughing
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 17:16

A 107 gr. Sierra will come apart long before you get to 4800........ A Bulldozer won't though. Working with my partner on something just like that. He wants to develop a wildcat to shoot a 100 gr. high b.c. Bulldozer at well over 4000 fps...... he actually told me he wanted to try to get 5000, but I told him to be realistic.

This is also no April fools joke.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 20:03
50bmg necked way way down and stretch out the shoulder for less angle. use a medium burn powder with a 30 inch barrel. It would be good for 20 to 28 rounds. but might get close.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 22:07
Sabot rounds... only way to keep barrels... UNTIL... (you'll have to wait for it)...

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 01:29

With the proto type the bullets did come apart. We recorded some of the fragments over 5800ft per sec. We slowed it down a bit with less powder, but then the bullets became unstable and keyholed. After trial and error we found it needed a full charge, the case had to be filled to 99%. To slow the bullet down we used a product called Barrel G.L.U., it works in reverse to molycoating, slowing the bullet down as it exits the barrel. So we got the right jump into the throat of the barrel, with a nice stable exit speed. 

6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 05:39
ExcellentExcellentExcellent  Barrel G.L.U.!!!!  ExcellentExcellent  Bandito
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listenin' than you will talkin'"   My Dad
6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2014 at 07:04
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

50bmg necked way way down and stretch out the shoulder for less angle. use a medium burn powder with a 30 inch barrel. It would be good for 20 to 28 rounds. but might get close.
    Eargesplitten Loudenboomer
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listenin' than you will talkin'"   My Dad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic