OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm 6x42 scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enmity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30mm 6x42 scopes
    Posted: June/18/2006 at 02:44
I am looking for a fixed power 6x scope with a 30mm tube and only one I have managed to find is the Doctor 6x42.  I have not been able to find much information on the net to review and compare the Doctor scopes against others in this niche, so am open for suggestions and opions for a 6x scope.

From what I have read the 30mm tube makes a big difference improving optical clarity in low light situations (hunting dawn and dusk).  Should I just settle for a 1" tube which is much more available or limit my options?

I am looking to spend around AUD$1000 on a decent scope.

Thank for all help

Mick
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 05:43

Hi; From what I've read, only if all else is equal will there be some difference in the window of lighting at dusk / dawn. In other words you can buy a one inch tube scope with higher quality lens in it and have a better dusk / dawn image than a lower quality 30mm tube scope. The biggest reason for the 30mm tube scopes is they have more adjustment in the turrets for windage & elevation.

As for the fixed 6 power scope...most people that have them are shooting competition and are restricted to a max. of six power.

I'm not saying that the fixed 6 power is not good for anything else.

If I were wanting to buy one, I'd have to put the Weaver T Series fixed 6 in my list to compare. It's a one inch tube scope with 40mm adjustable objective. This Weaver has their independent tracking turret adjustment system and fully multi coated lens.It is also made in Japan which I feel better about than some of the other brands out there now.

Can you see me now...
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 08:05
It is not the size of the tube that makes all that much differance, but what is getting put inside of the tube..  You get better glass and coatings.  You also get around some other things like the size of the lens verses it focus ablity.  The Euro hunting stuff is made for night time hunting requirements, which is not a concern in the US where the one inch tube is pretty standard, because of our game laws.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 11:56
I've been using the Leupold FX III 6X42 on my main rifle for a while and am very happy with it.  Low light performance is very good, and I haven't felt at all hampered by fixed power.  I've used it from 200 yds to 15 yds.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 21:14
There have been a lot of discussions around on whether the diameter of the maintube has any impact on the optical quality of the scope.  The short answer is: for as long as the objective lens is not bigger than 56mm, a 1" and 30mm scopes tube with comparable optics will have the same optical performance. 

For more info you can search this site.

It is generally useful to look throught he "stickies", there you can find this post:

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2169&PN=1

If you are dead set on a 30mm tube, consider IOR 6x42.

ILya
Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 10:31
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I've been using the Leupold FX III 6X42 on my main rifle for a while and am very happy with it.  Low light performance is very good, and I haven't felt at all hampered by fixed power. .

I have been trying to decide between this and the S&B 6X42.
The FX is nearly $200 cheaper.
Master Debater
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 13:54
The S&B 6X42 is over $1000.  Are you looking at a used one? The Leupold FX III is about $380.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 18:25

The S&B 6X42 is over $1000.  Are you looking at a used one? The Leupold FX III is about $380.

In England the S&B is £329 and the Leup is about £210 imported.
Master Debater
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2006 at 09:26
If I could have gotten the S&B for $200 more than the Leupold, I wold have.  Looks like you can get the S&B for about $600 USD.  That's a lot cheaper than here.  I wonder who's making all the extra money
Enmity View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enmity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2006 at 04:07
Thanks all for the input.  Guess the 30mm tube does not make that much difference.  I have been getting quotes for a package deal with rifle, scope, mounts, case and cleaning kit.  Prices for the Leupold FXIII have been about $660-$680 and $595 for the old M8 6x42, but only able to do prices that good if bought as a package.  Love to be in the USA and get those prices.

I had a look through a Zeiss 6x42 as well for $995 and have to admit, focusing on the eye of a buck on the wall across the store, the Zeiss had noticably better clarity.  Now I need to decide if that would be worth the extra $300.

I have just checked out the weaver Optics web site trying to learn more about thier construction, warrenty etc and it seems they are not as solid in thier support of thier product, especially the older scopes made in the good 'ol USA =)  Made in Japan now?  I will get some prices but have not seen them available in store, albiet gun store are getting rare down here since all us gun owners are mad pychopaths waiting to go off...

Ok, am going to browse the stickies to help me make a better educated decision.

Mick
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2006 at 17:12

If I could have gotten the S&B for $200 more than the Leupold, I wold have.  Looks like you can get the S&B for about $600 USD.  That's a lot cheaper than here.  I wonder who's making all the extra money

Its because its a European scope.
For example:-

Bushnell 4200 8-32X40 are what about $400-500 for you??
They are $1100 in england so you tell me who is making the money!!!!

Same with Leupold.

Edited by Murphy.177
Master Debater
solarpimp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2006 at 10:22
What about the IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2006 at 17:22
Originally posted by solarpimp solarpimp wrote:

What about the IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope?

$550. In England.
Master Debater
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic