OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope for SAKO TRG 42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 08:24

I have a TRG 42 in 338.  I bought the Swarovski   Mildot 10x tactical for it from SWFA . beautiful scope

The Swarovski has a spring loaded eye piece which is absolutely essential if you plan to shoot the 42 without the muzzle break

The mildot in the scope is etched in the glass > no mecahnical wires. Good sized target knobs etc

A very good value for 800 buck as far as I am concerned. 

I put an antireflective filter on the objective ( gives about equivalent of 4- 6 in sun shade but does cut a little light)

SWFA has these and it fits underneath the butler creek objective cap.  You can take it out in a second if you are out on a cloudy day and don't need it

This combo is just fine for my target and longer range hunting needs.

Add a scope level and you are in good shape for the ranges you mentioned and well beyond for that matter

SWFA has the best deal on the Swarovski scopes.  I will soon purchase another ( range finder) for my Barrett)

Richard View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 08:41

Absolutely use the Sako QD base and rings . There are three variant ( height) so you need to decide on the scope Object dia before you spend the $300+ for the mount.

The TRG 42 used a metric dovetail machined into the action . The QD lever only tightens the scope laterally. The base has a recoil lug that stops all fore and aft recoil movement and must be properly positioned when the scope is mounted

This is truely a proprietary mounting system which you need to spend the bucks for

Sako also offers a front & rear iron shight mounts for the Hammerli match sights ( ~ $500.00 for the match sights from Hammerli in Switzerland)  I forget what I paid for the iron sight bases and mirage band kit from Sako but it was dear

cello View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 13:31

richard,

Since it was made for the Barrett 50cal I don't imagine it has a 338 BDC.  Do you have the MilDot reticle for your 10x or did you get the 50 tree reticle?  Doesn't Sako also make a non-QD mount? If so, have you seen it.  I assume (I hope) that for the price of the Sako mount it also comes with rings.

SWFA has the best prices for scopes I have come accross.  I hope the $800.00 tag will continue until latter October when I will get the 10x.  Currently I'm using an older Mark IV and although it works fine for deer hunting I think the Swarovski will work better fo long distance target shooting.  Have you  ever hunted with the 338?  Do you reload?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 14:33

Please learn to use enough gun.  I mean please, taking on a vicous whitetail or mulie armed with a mere .338.  I fear I may read of your demise at the hoofs and horns of our sworn enemy.  It is not safe to venture out into "deer country" with anything less than an M2 BMG (.50 cal) and I would prefer to see you with a 20mm Vulcan.  I have to ask; Is there anything left of a deer after a shot with a .338?  I mean I know how much meat can get torn up just using say a .270 or a .30/06.  I believe we need to start refering to you as "The Punisher".  You don't just kill deer you make them pay!  The Punisher, appearing in woods near you this deer season. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 15:32
ahhahaahha ranburr yoru funny..... i once saw a video back in 96 when CA was trying to ban the fifty coining it a destructive weapon..... something that all guns are anyway....  so this guy goes elk hunting with his .50 to prove its sporting use... anyways the guy was about 1 mile up a ravine and a full grown elk yes an elk happened to stray into the creek bed below.... next thing u know booooom the full grown elk was slammed i swear that thing was hit by an invisible bus/tank/ hand of god.... u name it i woould hate to see was a .50 would do to a human
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 15:34
also cello that 2869 for the trg 42 is without any accessories they want 3900 withall the bells an whistles
cello View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 18:30

I use the TRG for long distance target shooting.  Hunting deer is best acomplished with a 5' Buck knife or if your really sneaky a garrot works just as well and is not near as costly (except perhaps to the hunter) hehehe.  Manuel, the bells and whistles are the most expensive part about owning a Sako but well worth the price.  In the military I used the M24 and occasionally the McMillan M89.  Both of these rifles are extremely "functional" and very accurate.  All this aside, the TRG is in all practical sense comparable to any sniper system used by the military or LE.

By the way, I have seen the effects of a 50cal as well as other calibers on a human target.  Dead is dead.  Long live target shooting where everyone goes home to a cold beer.

Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2004 at 19:21
i know i dont mind paying 2300 then paying extra for all the acessories but comon these guys want 2869 for the rifle alone.... if i could get it for 2300 i would be sold tho i dont think i could afford to shoot the .338 all that much lol

Edited by Manuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic