OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

EOTech

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moesterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EOTech
    Posted: March/30/2014 at 10:09
Looking for an EOTech w/mag for my .308 AR platform.  I have heard/read only certain models will work.
Any experience?  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2014 at 11:21

Not crazy about EOTech... I would choose:

Trijicon 1-6x24 VCOG Riflescope
Stock # - VC16C160004
  • Black
  • Segmented Circle (1x) / Crosshair (6x)
  • .308 / 175 Grain Ballistic
  • Thumb Screw Mount
  • First Focal Plane
  • Lithium AA Battery
  • LensPen
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • AccuPoint Manual
  • Warranty Card

But that's just me...

EOTech does have its applications, some people really like them.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2014 at 12:55
Originally posted by moesterman moesterman wrote:

Looking for an EOTech w/mag for my .308 AR platform.  I have heard/read only certain models will work.
Any experience?  

Not sure what would preclude some models from working. All EOTechs are compatible to the std 1913 rail, which I assume your AR is equipped with. The only issues I've heard with EOTechs is battery life is shorter than most competing reflex sights such as Aimpoint and they have kind of a "pixellated" reticle that some object to. I don't mind the pixellated reticle myself, since the reticle is fine to begin with.

I have an EOTech 512 that I have mounted on a Benelli SBE shotgun, so being on a recoil operated 3.5" mag 12 gauge, it takes a beating. I've not had any issues with mine, though I do wish it had much better battery life.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2014 at 20:49
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

[QUOTE=moesterman]Looking for an EOTech w/mag for my .308 AR platform.  I have heard/read only certain models will work.
Any experience?  

Not sure what would preclude some models from working. All EOTechs are compatible to the std 1913 rail, which I assume your AR is equipped with. The only issues I've heard with EOTechs is battery life is shorter than most competing reflex sights such as Aimpoint and they have kind of a "pixellated" reticle that some object to. I don't mind the pixellated reticle myself, since the reticle is fine to begin with.

I have an EOTech 512 that I have mounted on a Benelli SBE shotgun, so being on a recoil operated 3.5" mag 12 gauge, it takes a beating. I've not had any issues with mine, though I do wish it had much better battery life.

Not to high jack the thread, but Been thinking about an Aimpoint on my Franchi shotgun, I have fiber optic sights on it now but they're hard to see at night. Having an Eotech on your's, what's your thoughts? I'd have to have the receiver drilled and tapped on mine.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2014 at 20:55
Get a Micro, Tejas. They work wonderfully with a shotgun.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2014 at 21:50
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Not crazy about EOTech... I would choose:

Trijicon 1-6x24 VCOG Riflescope
Stock # - VC16C160004
  • Black
  • Segmented Circle (1x) / Crosshair (6x)
  • .308 / 175 Grain Ballistic
  • Thumb Screw Mount
  • First Focal Plane
  • Lithium AA Battery
  • LensPen
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • AccuPoint Manual
  • Warranty Card

But that's just me...

EOTech does have its applications, some people really like them.

There are a lot of nice scopes out there.  The VCOG would not be at the top of the list if I were choosing one for the AR-10.  I only had a brief look at it, admittedly, but for half of the price it would be a pretty decent option.

I would be looking at one of these:

Also, if you do not want a holdover reticle Meopta R2 1-6x24 is really nice.

If you are OK spending some money: March 1-8x24FFP.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2014 at 23:14

Depends on application, I suppose.  In my current AOO, VCOG is the most highly sought after weapon sight and there are no complaints from those who have had brief opportunity to use them... everyone is anticipating using them, even in drawdown.  Standard ACOG is #2 in excitement and #1 in usage.  Yes, there are cheaper...

I had almost completely settled on the SS1-6 for my 6.5 Grendel... but got to talking with a guy about the VCOG.  Big price differential, but I am leaning toward the VCOG, now.  Unless... unless I decide on the March 1-8.

I like the March scopes.  I have one in 3-24x42, I have one on order in 3-24x52 and I am considering getting the 1-8, but March has not proven its durability to me yet.  No doubt, it is a very nice scope.  The VCOG technology is battle tested and battle proven... 

In this genre, I still believe the SS1-6 is the best "value", it is tough, it has very good glass, it has excellent mechanicals. 

EOTech was in my sights for a while, but I've just never liked them.  Many of the people I work with don't like them. 

In a few weeks, I have to make up my mind... The VCOG will be ready to ship, the March will be ready to ship...

It is easy to get lost in the abundance...

If you are set on an EOTech, the 512 Rifledude recommended is pretty good and you can get a 3x magnifier for it... doubles the price and, to me, any time you add an external magnifier, you are degrading the optic for magnification.  Magnifiers are sometimes necessary, but I avoid them whenever possible.  Personal choice. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 06:35
I got a look at the VCOG at the NRA convention in Houston, and was pretty underwhelmed by it. I could see no justification for its price tag. I have no doubt it's very tough and rugged, but other than having the mounts integral with the rest of the body casting, there was nothing else about it that I thought was superior to a SS 1-6, even if the price was the same. The reticle in the show sample was also visibly canted at what looked to be about 3-deg. Optically, it's nothing special either. I could see it being a decent option if it were priced at about $1200... and the canted reticle isn't typical.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 06:46
Well heck Ted, you do a lens pen and an official Trificon logo sticker and a lens pen to boot! (The entitlement mentality of some guys is.......sheesh!)     Wink

I'm teasing. I never even heard of this optic. Back to drinking coffee. Coffee
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 07:46
Big Grin

To be fair, the VCOG is a cool optic if you look at it without knowing the price. I like the fact it uses an AA battery. The way the battery housing is integrated with the underside of the tube/front mount post section I'm sure really enhances structural strength of the body. Looking at it, I have no doubt one could beat the hell out of the thing and it would just shrug off the abuse. But really, in my estimation, it's optically on par with their Accupoint series scopes, with 6:1 zoom. Certainly nice, but if I'm considering spending $2400 for an optic, I gotta evaluate it based on what else I can get for $2400... which doesn't exactly limit my choices! There's nothing more rugged than having integral mounts, however, a traditional scope clamped in premium AR mounts like the Aadland, Bobro, etc. isn't exactly a flimsy setup either.

I like the VCOG's segmented circle type reticle (I would prefer the un-canted version, thoughWink), but I like the SS 1-6 Donut/ Mil reticle better. Personal preference.

Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 11:19
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Not to high jack the thread, but Been thinking about an Aimpoint on my Franchi shotgun, I have fiber optic sights on it now but they're hard to see at night. Having an Eotech on your's, what's your thoughts? I'd have to have the receiver drilled and tapped on mine.

It's no big deal to drill and tap the top of the receiver for a short section of rail. If the top of your receiver is flat, you will likely need to buy a rail mount blank, cut it to the length you need and drill and counterbore it for the size screws you wish to use. I would use at least 3 screws along with a couple set screws to engage the top of the receiver to keep it from shifting, since the bottom won't have a radius to help keep it from shifting. Then, refinish, if you wish. Again, not a huge deal. but it requires a little minor machining.

Another potential option is a saddle mount from Aim-Tech, B-Square, and maybe 1 or 2 other suppliers. They just slide over the receiver and attach to the cross-pins holding the fire control system in the receiver. They generally work well, though may not be the best-looking option for attaching optics to a shotgun. I used a B-Square saddle mount for attaching my EOTech, and it works well.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 13:08

Big Grin

To be fair, the VCOG is a cool optic if you look at it without knowing the price. I like the fact it uses an AA battery. The way the battery housing is integrated with the underside of the tube/front mount post section I'm sure really enhances structural strength of the body. Looking at it, I have no doubt one could beat the hell out of the thing and it would just shrug off the abuse. But really, in my estimation, it's optically on par with their Accupoint series scopes, with 6:1 zoom. Certainly nice, but if I'm considering spending $2400 for an optic, I gotta evaluate it based on what else I can get for $2400... which doesn't exactly limit my choices! There's nothing more rugged than having integral mounts, however, a traditional scope clamped in premium AR mounts like the Aadland, Bobro, etc. isn't exactly a flimsy setup either.

I like the VCOG's segmented circle type reticle (I would prefer the un-canted version, thoughWink), but I like the SS 1-6 Donut/ Mil reticle better. Personal preference.

The optical specifications of the VCOG are eerily similar to those of LOW's reference 1-6x24 design that a few people use.  Unless I am way off base, I suspect that is exactly what it is: LOW's standard 1-6x design with Trijicon's reticle and mounting.  Some other cosmetics are also different, like rubber armor and large magnification ring.

ILya 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2014 at 21:42

It's no big deal to drill and tap the top of the receiver for a short section of rail. If the top of your receiver is flat, you will likely need to buy a rail mount blank, cut it to the length you need and drill and counterbore it for the size screws you wish to use. I would use at least 3 screws along with a couple set screws to engage the top of the receiver to keep it from shifting, since the bottom won't have a radius to help keep it from shifting. Then, refinish, if you wish. Again, not a huge deal. but it requires a little minor machining.

Another potential option is a saddle mount from Aim-Tech, B-Square, and maybe 1 or 2 other suppliers. They just slide over the receiver and attach to the cross-pins holding the fire control system in the receiver. They generally work well, though may not be the best-looking option for attaching optics to a shotgun. I used a B-Square saddle mount for attaching my EOTech, and it works well.

I have one of those aim tech rib riders ordered. They are cheap so I'll see if I like it before drilling any holes. Does the Aimpoint Micro offer any advantages over the Patrol Rifle Optic. Just wondering because of the price difference. Thanx for your help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 08:19
The main advantage from a Patrol to a Micro is size. The micro has all the reliability and battery life of the Patrol, actually a little better with Micro, but smaller. The micro is equally at home on top of an AR, shotgun, or pistol. My T-1 was on a Mossberg 500 for awhile and it's a WICKED home defense weapon. 

I love the Comp M4's, but after using a Micro, I'm ruined. The Patrol does offer a few solutions to mounting and covers, that the Micro doesn't. 
Meaning, you get the T-1 or H-1, then have to get a mount, if using it for an AR, and lens covers. If your wanting to mount it on a shotgun, the factory supplied unit works well, provided the shotgun has some sort of rail.  

The "bikini strap" on the Micro sucks, I concede, but there are some aftermarket options out there to make up for it. Tango Down makes one, I think. 

Aimpoint Pro: The hot, well endowed drunk chick you pick up at the bar and take home. A sure thing. 
Micro: The hot, yet classy girl you take home for Sunday dinner to show Mom. 

Both are GREAT! One just requires a little more time and attention....but MORE THAN WORTH IT!  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 09:01

I too love the micro; however, the small lenses makes shots from improvised positions a little tougher.  A small window means the dot can be lost more easily than in a larger window.

I am a fan of the Trijicon reflex sites as much as I am the Aimpoint Micro. I also have a Trijicon SRS but cannot recommend that at this time, it has some great features and a specific problem that significantly limits its utility.  I bring up the SRS because it does one thing very well, it offers a great field of view for shooting from unusual positions.

I've owned and run EoTech and am not a fan of the reticle.  My go-to gun (with red dot) wears an Aimpoint (my go to for longer range work has an ACOG with RMR on top - and I really like that setup.)

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2014 at 11:20
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Aimpoint Pro: The hot, well endowed drunk chick you pick up at the bar and take home. A sure thing. 
Micro: The hot, yet classy girl you take home for Sunday dinner to show Mom. 

I dig the fact you include helpful analogies that I can totally relate to. Excellent work!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic