OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thread protector??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thread protector??
    Posted: March/27/2014 at 07:28
Anybody out there help a brother out? 

I need a thread protector for the barrel on my beloved .308. It has a flash suppressor on it now, but would like to take it off at times, but still need to protect the threads. 

It's threaded 5/8ths-24 and the barrel OD is .860. Pretty standard. 

I know I can get one online, but if someone has one laying around, I could use it. 

Thanks.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 07:37
I'll make you one.

Your price is you have to come visit me and bring your rifle.
Only way I can verify the fit.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 07:53
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'll make you one.

Your price is you have to come visit me and bring your rifle.
Only way I can verify the fit.

Um....thinking.......Oh..OK! Smile 

But...you have to provide that awesome TX brisket for my consumption morning, noon and night, until protector is completed! 
(Take your time.) Embarrased  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 08:22
Oh....Okay...if you insist...
I hate that you had to go there.

We can get pretty backed up with work here, so you might have to wait around a few hours... or days... until we get a lathe free. Maybe we could occupy some of that wait time with brisket smokin', shootin', and tall tale tellin'. If the work order backlog is stacked too high, maybe some huntin'.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 15:03

Mark, if the Beiber Fan Club President doesn't get you squared away I think I have one I can send out. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 15:05
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Mark, if the Beiber Fan Club President doesn't get you squared away I think I have one I can send out. 

Sold!! Big Grin

Thank you! 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 15:17
I bet Ted is crushed now. He was so looking forward to listening to his Justin Beiber CDs with youBandito
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 15:25
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Skylar has a thread protector too? Who knew?!!!
Ted

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2014 at 16:26
What about the WHISKEY?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 14:31
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I bet Ted is crushed now. He was so looking forward to listening to his Justin Beiber CDs with youBandito
Well, I don't have any Bieber cd's, but maybe I could borrow one from my daughter. I may need a thread protector too. Ted will have my rifle already. I may just have to go down and eat brisket........ Then when a lathe frees up, I can make my own thread protector.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Well, I don't have any Bieber cd's, but maybe I could borrow one from my daughter. I may need a thread protector too. Ted will have my rifle already. I may just have to go down and eat brisket........ Then when a lathe frees up, I can make my own thread protector.

Sharp Shooter
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 15:00
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Firing up the smoker now. What time will you be here?
Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 15:37
What brand of smoker do you have, Ted? I'm reading up on All Things Texan so when I get there I won't be laughed back to North Carolina. Big Grin
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 16:54
I have this...

The one in the pic is my exact smoker, before I picked it up from the guy I bought it from -- Lone Star Grilz in Conroe, TX. It's not a big smoker, by TX standards, and they build MUCH larger ones, but it gets the job done for my purposes. The smoker section is made out of 20" pipe, and the firebox is made out of 3/16" plate.

When My friends and I do competitions, we borrow a huge homemade smoker on a covered trailer made out of an old propane tank that's about 10 feet long and 36" diameter.

Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 16:56
Holy...smokes!  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2014 at 17:02
The art of smoking Texas style BBQ brisket is one of the things I plan to teach you when you get down here.

Amazing how this thread morphed from thread protectors to BBQ in only 1 page! An OT hallmark! Haha!
Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2014 at 04:36
Ted, you can't eat thread protectors and how much more can you say about them. I'm hungry just looking at the smoker. Pulled Pork just don't cut it lead me to the Brisket Back in the day when the Shot Show was in Dallas we were fortunate to go to a few gatherings at the ranch where the show Dallas was filmed and had some great Brisket there.

Skip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2014 at 06:50
Our Gracious Host once referred to pork BBQ as nothing more than "pickled pork". Big Grin

While I dearly love pork BBQ, especially SC style, there is NOTHING on this planet I love more than TEXAS beef brisket. Around here, they "phone in" an attempt at brisket, only to fail. Roll Eyes

Danny's BBQ up in Cary, NC is probably the best brisket I've had here and it's just OK. Brisket in The Carolina's is sorta like a side dish, like green beans, or mac and cheese. They don't seem to put a lot of effort in it.   

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2014 at 07:18
Amen! Our Southern office is in Leesville, SC and we do a yearly show in Raleigh and " pickled pork " is a very apt description. Too much Vinegar!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2014 at 07:44
I was working in Durham last year and found a place down the road from the hotel. "Backyard BBQ", or something like that. 
The black folks who worked there were always extremely nice and made some REALLY REALLY good pork, had a pan of brisket out one day and the brisket was swimming....literally...in the beef broth. Shocked 
I asked, albeit rhetorically, is that brisket?? He said Yeah, main...best you've ever had! I said...I highly doubt that. He gave me a piece of it to try and I politely told him his PORK BBQ was outstanding and keep up the good work. Big Grin   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic